Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
In wake of all of the recent announcements by Google that they are going to drop Active Sync support for their accounts, does that change the calculus for any of you on whether you will continue to use Google for mail/contacts/calendar vs iCloud? Will not having push mail on iOS devices going forward (aside from the Gmail app) make you less likely to use Gmail as a service?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
In wake of all of the recent announcements by Google that they are going to drop Active Sync support for their accounts, does that change the calculus for any of you on whether you will continue to use Google for mail/contacts/calendar vs iCloud? Will not having push mail on iOS devices going forward (aside from the Gmail app) make you less likely to use Gmail as a service?

Switched over to iCloud right after the announcement. I need instant push so IMAP or the Gmail app would not work for me. Both my wife and I are pleased with iCloud since the switch. One big bonus is since dropping the EAS gmail setup, battery life has improved more than 20%.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I can't consider iCloud since I have my own domains and don't want to change my email address. I made that choice when Comcast changed from @home to @comcast.

The Google announcement does, however, change what I might recommend to customers. Since the days of good free domain-based email hosting are gone, I'm leaning toward hosted Exchange, as it seems to be the best cross-platform solution now.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Switched over to iCloud right after the announcement. I need instant push so IMAP or the Gmail app would not work for me. Both my wife and I are pleased with iCloud since the switch. One big bonus is since dropping the EAS gmail setup, battery life has improved more than 20%.

FWIW, the Gmail app, at least the 2.0 version is near instant. Nine times out of ten I'll get the email on my iPhone or iPad before its hit gmail.com. Not for nothing and I'm considering going in with iCloud email since I already use it for calendar and contacts, but Gmail 2.0 is definitely push or push-like.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
FWIW, the Gmail app, at least the 2.0 version is near instant. Nine times out of ten I'll get the email on my iPhone or iPad before its hit gmail.com. Not for nothing and I'm considering going in with iCloud email since I already use it for calendar and contacts, but Gmail 2.0 is definitely push or push-like.

Yes I can agree with that. However calendar/maps/contacts are not integrated in the Gmail app. If I get an email with someone's address I cannot click the text and open the Maps app. You will find iCloud just fine.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
I used to use a shared Google calendar with my wife and we switched over to a shared iCloud calendar.

Does the same job just as well, but the only thing I miss is if my wife added something to our shared calendar, I had it set up that Google would automatically SMS me the details of that appointment. iCloud doesn't have that facility.

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I can't consider iCloud since I have my own domains and don't want to change my email address. I made that choice when Comcast changed from @home to @comcast.

The Google announcement does, however, change what I might recommend to customers. Since the days of good free domain-based email hosting are gone, I'm leaning toward hosted Exchange, as it seems to be the best cross-platform solution now.

Yeah. That's a problem I run into as well. Still have no idea why they killed off the ability to send from an external address in the Mail web app when they made the jump from MobileMe to iCloud.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I used to use a shared Google calendar with my wife and we switched over to a shared iCloud calendar.

Does the same job just as well, but the only thing I miss is if my wife added something to our shared calendar, I had it set up that Google would automatically SMS me the details of that appointment. iCloud doesn't have that facility.

If she adds you as an Invitee, you should get an email at least.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I continue to enjoy great speed using Google services. It syncs my calendar contacts & mail to my MacBook Pro as well as my iDevices, Android devices & my ThinkPad.

My wife enjoys our shared calendar that appears on her iPhone, MBA & iPad.

We are both using iCloud, but on a limited basis since our experiences with MobileMe were both unreliable & spotty. Hopefully Apple will gradually build a decent track record with this latest attempt in the cloud. Once we can trust it, we'll certainly use it more.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

You can go into icloud.com and setup notifications for calendar events.... its in the settings. That's what me and my wife do.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2012
London
I was looking to make the change this year anyways, due to gmail not using all the features on iOS especially within email and contacts.

So i have moved...but after reading this it will be a perm move for me! Go iCloud!! woo

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

False

http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup-outlook-on-custom-domain/24699/

Outlook.com is highly acclaimed.

Not a lot of personal experience, still using Google Activesync.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Here's a blog post from August about the features of Outlook.com. I don't know how accurate it is.

The web interface is pretty nice, if slow. It seems it's ActiveSync-only for true syncing. Outlook 2013 for Windows will support it, of course. I don't know about the next Outlook 201x for Mac.

They will host domain-based email (up to 500 accounts!) but I don't think I'll be recommending it to anyone.

So, beats Google for future ActiveSync integration (including iPhone Reminders).

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I wish both apple and google would stop pissin on their customers on what they "think" they want. I like gmail but I don't like how I don't get push email unless I use their iOS app.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I wish both apple and google would stop pissin on their customers on what they "think" they want. I like gmail but I don't like how I don't get push email unless I use their iOS app.

Yep. Google lost me when they decided to drop AES on free accounts. iCloud works just fine now. Just wish they would support read/delete sync across iOS devices.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
iCloud works just fine now. Just wish they would support read/delete sync across iOS devices.
Could you please explain? My iCloud mail syncs fine between my iPhone 4s and MacBook Pro. Are you saying it won't sync between two iOS devices, such as iPhone and iPad?

Thanks.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Could you please explain? My iCloud mail syncs fine between my iPhone 4s and MacBook Pro. Are you saying it won't sync between two iOS devices, such as iPhone and iPad?

Thanks.

It does not support updating of read status across iOS devices right now. So if you get a message in your inbox and you just simply open it and read it on your iPad the read status will not update on your iPhone until you either take action with the message (delete it, move it to a folder, or archive it) or until another new message comes in. It used to be that only the latter would update the badge, but somewhere along the way they added the functionality of getting everything to update when you take action.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for the clarification. I currently have only one iOS device, and wasn't aware of this issue.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
wow, is that true (just wondering)?

Definitely true, though the random thing is the iPad app and iPhone can vary by 30 seconds. It's completely random and in no way troublesome, it's definitely still "immediate" as far as email needs go. Just something I've noticed.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am a recent happy iCloud user - I have two iOS devices and a hackintosh, although I am planning to buy a real mac hopefully this year (will be looking for haswell system) and things are working/syncing as expected.

I am used to Exchange as that is what I have been using for the past 10+ years at my workplace and iCloud things such e-mail, calendar etc are working just like my work environment as far as I can tell, so I can say that iCloud from the functionality perspective is as good as the next other big thing.

MillerDad

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
Sin City, USA
Just wish they would support read/delete sync across iOS devices.

I don't know if the is was fixed with an update since March, but I have not run into this issue. If I open and read a message on my iPhone, then check my inbox later of my mac or iPad, the message is in the inbox, but shows as read.

I started testing the waters with icloud mail earlier this year, and am now completely switched over from Gmail. The only reason I even have an active Google account anymore is for Youtube and G+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.