Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsphan23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
please, i walked into a tmobile store, and the dude knew nothing about what was happening, and tmobile chat never works for me.

i am currently a tmobile customer, who wants an iphone, 4 or 5. doesnt matter. i have about 2 years left on my contract, and i am not eligble for an upgrade for another few months.

the dude in the store was mentioning something about being in a certain credit class, but even he said he didnt know how it was going to work. all i want is a iphone with tmobile service, that i already have.

how much will i have to pay? does anyone know? please , please help

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
go back next friday

iphone-5-preregister.jpg

metsphan23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Well, I am just seeking if anyone had any information about what's going to happen. "Go back next Friday" leaves me clueless when I walk in, and otherwise might be unprepared to pay an unprecedented amount of money. Anyone else?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If you're a credit class that didn't have to pay a deposit when you started your service then you will pay $99 upfront for the iPhone 5, $70 upfront for the 4S, or $15 upfront for the iPhone 4.

If you paid a deposit when you activated your service then you will pay more than those prices but Tmobile had not yet revealed iPhone pricing for those customers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Perhaps you can call them and they'll let you out of the contract but if you're under contract with them you may be limited in what you can do.

metsphan23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Perhaps you can call them and they'll let you out of the contract but if you're under contract with them you may be limited in what you can do.

I'm most likely going to buy an unlocked iPhone from the apple store, then just insert my tmobile chip. It's sad how customers who are already with tmobile get the short end of the stick, and new customers get all the benefits.

Ps, I don't have any credit, because in the past, I've tried to get an iPhone via sprint or Verizon, and they all ran credit checks on me, only to surprise me that I have to pay like 800 dollars upfront.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's sad how customers who are already with tmobile get the short end of the stick, and new customers get all the benefits.

Not to justify their actions but they're not alone. Any new promotions or change in policy typically is only for new customers. Existing customers need to live within the contract they signed.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I'm most likely going to buy an unlocked iPhone from the apple store, then just insert my tmobile chip. It's sad how customers who are already with tmobile get the short end of the stick, and new customers get all the benefits.

Ps, I don't have any credit, because in the past, I've tried to get an iPhone via sprint or Verizon, and they all ran credit checks on me, only to surprise me that I have to pay like 800 dollars upfront.

Lol you were once a new customer so you got your benefits. I'm sure you were happy then

metsphan23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Lol you were once a new customer so you got your benefits. I'm sure you were happy then

Yeah this was like 10 years ago. Phones have advanced, and prices have gone up. But the worst part is lack of information from tmobile. They make an announcement that the iPhone is coming, yet details are scarce at best. I have to wait until the 12th, when I bet all tmobile stores will be packed with people that have a huge amounts of questions, like myself.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Not to justify their actions but they're not alone. Any new promotions or change in policy typically is only for new customers. Existing customers need to live within the contract they signed.

Agreed. All the other carriers would be doing the same thing.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well either way with the new Tmobile plans you will eventually pay full price for the device. You can pay it all upfront or you can pay on monthly installments with your bill. You need to go into a store and talk to someone who knows what they're doing and they can tell you what your options are. How long you have left on your contract is irrelevant. It's about how long it's been since you got a subsidized device that will determine whether or not you are eligible to switch to the new plans and get the new customer pricing.

metsphan23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Well either way with the new Tmobile plans you will eventually pay full price for the device. You can pay it all upfront or you can pay on monthly installments with your bill. You need to go into a store and talk to someone who knows what they're doing and they can tell you what your options are. How long you have left on your contract is irrelevant. It's about how long it's been since you got a subsidized device that will determine whether or not you are eligible to switch to the new plans and get the new customer pricing.

My last phone upgrade was march 2012.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK

I couldn't get anything on credit either as I buy everything with cash

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
My last phone upgrade was march 2012.

Then you would have to pay $100 to switch early to the new Uncarrier plan and then pay whatever the upfront cost of the iPhone is. The BB Z10 is like $229 upfront for customers without good credit so if the iPhone 5 is similar then that's what you would have to pay upfront out of pocket to get it. The $100 for switching plans is billed on your next bill.

metsphan23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Then you would have to pay $100 to switch early to the new Uncarrier plan and then pay whatever the upfront cost of the iPhone is. The BB Z10 is like $229 upfront for customers without good credit so if the iPhone 5 is similar then that's what you would have to pay upfront out of pocket to get it. The $100 for switching plans is billed on your next bill.

But I don't have any credit, hence my problem. If I have to pay more then 350 in total, I will go unlocked from apple. Too many fees.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
please, i walked into a tmobile store, and the dude knew nothing about what was happening, and tmobile chat never works for me.

i am currently a tmobile customer, who wants an iphone, 4 or 5. doesnt matter. i have about 2 years left on my contract, and i am not eligble for an upgrade for another few months.

the dude in the store was mentioning something about being in a certain credit class, but even he said he didnt know how it was going to work. all i want is a iphone with tmobile service, that i already have.

how much will i have to pay? does anyone know? please , please help

The $99 down for the iPhones will only happen if you have a good credit score (I'm not sure how much though)

iPhone 5 = $99 + $20 a month
iPhone 4S = $70 + $20 a month
iPhone 4 = $15 + $20 a month
(This is on approved credit)

Check the T-Mobile site out for migration fees: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3282

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
But I don't have any credit, hence my problem. If I have to pay more then 350 in total, I will go unlocked from apple. Too many fees.
That doesn't make any sense.

You'd rather pay the $650 to Apple for unlocked iPhone 5, rather than $580 to TMobile...?

frd1963

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
I don't have any credit. I've mentioned this previously.

Problem solved. You don't have credit and you pay only with cash anyway. Buy the iPhone with cash either from T-Mobile or Apple, or eBay, etc. and pay just the monthly service fee to T-Mobile.

If you have no credit, and it was 10 years ago since you got any subsidies from T-Mobile (e.g., discounted/free phone,) then I doubt you are currently paying subsidy fees. However, T-Mobile's new policy is based on the fact that hiding this type of information from the customer is evil, so they should have no problem sharing that with you. If necessary , use some of your cash to pay off those subsidies as well, and you are all set.

In fact, if you don't plan on purchasing your iPhone from T-Mobile anyway, then you can start using it before April 12th.

I hope this helps,
-Frd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.