Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I've got a movie that plays fine with the subtitles when I use VLC but when I burn it to a DVD to play in my DivX DVD player, it won't show the subtitles. Like, it recognizes there is a subtitle file there and I choose it, but they don't show up.
I can't find any apps that let you convert from .sub to .srt (a more common format)

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

derviner

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
You can use Jubler. But I have on big problem with it. Jubler seems to encode ä and ö (we have those letters in common use in Finland) to somekind of symbols. I've tried, while saving the converted .sub file, to use another encoder, but Jubler won't save it in any other than UTF-8 (unicode) and I figure I should use somekind of Baltic or Latin or something

DarkMukke

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
What do we do when we reach that GitHub page? i wish I could vote your comment down.

I registered on this forums only to comment on this rude post. :mad:
While the post he is quoting, got me exactly what i want. :D

Dear Sir Mac Fly,

If you have no idea what you are doing on a mac, then please do not buy a mac. OS X is based on Unix, which gives you the opportunity to write easy commandline application without the need to write a complete gui around it.

The script above is such a script, a script you are supposed to run commandline. Ofcourse, you could have just clicked the link, scrolled 1/4th of a page down and read all that in the readme of the page.

But yeh, most people these days just want to click click click and stuff happen for them. A bit of manual labor is too much.

So next ti,e you want to convert an .sub in a .srt, just go buy the damn movie instead of downloading it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.