Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrejkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Good news everyone!

Those of you running Mac OS 10.8 or later with non-Apple NVidia or AMD Graphics Cards can now take advantage of HDMI audio output.

You will need to install a supplemental HDMIAudio kernel extension I've put together. This does not require replacing any existing system components.

For those of you that have never installed a kernel extension before, I've bundled a simple install script. Download links are at the bottom of this post.

(ℹ) If you've previously installed the NVidia-only NVAudio extension, you can safely run the installation script for HDMIAudio and it will automatically remove the former.

To install HDMIAudio:
  1. Double click on the DMG to mount it.
  2. Open Terminal, located in the Utilities folder.
  3. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio
  4. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    ./install.sh
  5. When prompted, enter your administrator password, then press the Return or Enter key.
  6. You may receive a warning about an Unidentified Developer on Mavericks. This is safe to ignore.
  7. Reboot after installation.

To remove the extension:
  1. Boot into Safe Mode, if necessary.
    Code:
    sudo rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/HDMIAudio.kext
  4. When prompted, enter your administrator password, then press the Return or Enter key.
  5. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
  6. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-caches
  7. Restart your machine.

Please post any suggestions, questions or issues here. :)
Sources are available upon request.

Last edited:

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I'm not sure if the HDMI ports of unsupported Nvidia cards even work on the MP?
Correct me it I'm wrong.

But anyway, thanks for the efforts!

andrejkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
nVidia cards output audio on the DVI and DP ports as well. All you need is a DP -> HDMI or DVI -> HDMI adapter.

Reactions: dabotsonline

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
nVidia cards output audio on the DVI and DP ports as well. All you need is a DP -> HDMI or DVI -> HDMI adapter.

I do not believe DVI carries an audio signal. Display port/mini display port do though

andrejkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I do not believe DVI carries an audio signal. Display port/mini display port do though

You're right. Standard DVI doesn't carry audio signal. However, nVidia cards actually output HDMI signal over DVI. This allows you to use any compatible DVI -> HDMI adapter or cable (like this).

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
You're right. Standard DVI doesn't carry audio signal. However, nVidia cards actually output HDMI signal over DVI. This allows you to use any compatible DVI -> HDMI adapter or cable (like this).

I was not aware of that! God bless you, NVidia!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Is this theory or have you actually tested this? Because ALL DVI ports output HDMI video, not just Nvidia. HDMI was designed that way. Heck, DVI even supports HDCP.

But I've never heard of HDMI audio output from a DVI port until now.

andrejkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Is this theory or have you actually tested this? Because ALL DVI ports output HDMI video, not just Nvidia. HDMI was designed that way. Heck, DVI even supports HDCP.

But I've never heard of HDMI audio output from a DVI port until now.

Yes. I'm actually using a pretty generic DVI to HDMI cable that I've bought off of NewEgg. It has absolutely no issues carrying audio signal.

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
Thank you so much for your work, it was easy to install and works perfectly. Much appreciated.

andrejkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Did you have to install the kernel extension or did it work out of the box?

Interestingly enough, some cards don't require any hand-holding and work without it.

I'm using a Reference GTX670. So hearing what folks say, if I hook it up to my 3DTV like this it should all work:

- DVI -> HDMI ADAPTER -> 20FT HDMI CABLE -> HT -> TV

I guess I'll pass on the DVI HDMI adapter approach because I can't use it for 3D gaming in Windows. Will check if the audio works because I haven't tested it much since I installed it. Then I'll try the script. Is this going to cause any instability problems or something like that using kernel extension? I don't want to touch system files.

UPDATE: WORKS LIKE A CHARM... GETTING 5.1 SURROUND SOUND.

Update #2: When you unplug the HDMI cable, you loose all sound. No audio devices so you have to reboot. Not a big deal.

Pawprints

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks

Awesome work now I can hear sound out of my monitor from my MP running a GT640 :)

Many thanks. :)

aquarich

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Awesome work now I can hear sound out of my Samsung HDTV from my MP running a GTX 570

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Help

Call me dumb
I use my 4.1 flashed to 5.1 pro for very little, its filling the roll of media server.
Still have the original GT120 card installed.
I do recall reading some time back that this card did not support audio via display port. Well I figured this was something new and i'd give try it.
Ran the command then rebooted, Now I am in a reboot loop as it tries to load.
I can get in via safe mode

Someone have an easily way to undo remove this extension? :(

update: decided to try the display port to HDMI and it completed the boot fine.
No audio, then shut down and re-tried the dvi to hdmi, again completed the boot this time fine, no audio from that gt120.
Not sure why after booting safe mode and exiting it now boots fine with the extension.

Nonetheless, anyone want to help with the removal undo this mod?

Last edited:

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Good news everyone!

Those of you running Mac OS 10.8 or later with non-Apple nVidia Graphics Cards can now take advantage of HDMI audio output.

You will need to install a supplemental NVAudio kernel extension that I've put together. This does not require replacing any existing system components.

For those of you that have never installed a kernel extension before, I've bundled a simple install script. Download links are at the bottom of this post.

To install NVAudio:
  1. Double click on the DMG to mount it.
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/NVAudio
  4. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    ./install.sh
  5. When prompted, enter your administrator password, then press the Return or Enter key.
  6. Reboot after installation.

Please post any suggestions, questions or issues here. :)

You are a wonderful human being!

andrejkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Call me dumb
I use my 4.1 flashed to 5.1 pro for very little, its filling the roll of media server.
Still have the original GT120 card installed.
I do recall reading some time back that this card did not support audio via display port. Well I figured this was something new and i'd give try it.
Ran the command then rebooted, Now I am in a reboot loop as it tries to load.
I can get in via safe mode

Someone have an easily way to undo remove this extension? :(

update: decided to try the display port to HDMI and it completed the boot fine.
No audio, then shut down and re-tried the dvi to hdmi, again completed the boot this time fine, no audio from that gt120.
Not sure why after booting safe mode and exiting it now boots fine with the extension.

Nonetheless, anyone want to help with the removal undo this mod?

Sorry for the late response! I'm currently overseas. Unfortunately, this extension only works with cards that support outputting audio over DVI/HDMI.

I've updated my original post with instructions on how to remove the extension. Again, I'm sorry for the trouble!

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
No reason to apologies, As i said after a boot or two audio was back working without the need to remove.
I appreciate your efforts and help of the removal if needed
Thank you

sjacksonpro

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
nVidia Quadro 4000 for Mac

Will this kernel work for the Quadro 4000 that is actually designed for the Mac? I can't get the HDMI audio to even show up in the System Preferences with this card.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

UPDATE 4-14-13: I worked great for the 4000 for Mac! Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Thomaspin

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
Silicon Valley, CA
Perfect for HTPC use

Excellent post, andrejkw, many thanks.

My 2009 4-core Mac Pro uses a modest, yet very capable, EVGA nVidia GT430 1TB HDMI/VGA/DVI graphics card, which can be found used for $30-45. Performance in an HTPC application is excellent, using an HDMI cable.

I'm using OS Mountain Lion 10.8.4. It works perfectly, with the 4,1 firmware upgraded to 5,1, though it works fine with 4,1 also. 5,1 will allow use of 1333MHz RAM, if needed, though the stock 1066MHz RAM is fine for the job.

Adding a $50 internal Blu-Ray reader/burner in place of the stock Superdrive is a 10 minute job, making for a fine HTPC rig, much cheaper than a loaded MacMini with similar specifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.