Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
This is why I get fed up when people in my family talk about Apple like they know what they're on about. "Oh did you see Apple's share price fall recently? They haven't come out with anything new because Steve Jobs is gone!"

Can you tell I've had to see my family this Easter? Yeah, I bet I'm not the only one who's sick of 'em.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Well thats nothing new. At the same time, I think it's safe to assume that the iPhone that gets released in one or two years from now won't be the same as what is in the plan that Steve Jobs saw. It'll draw inspiration certainly, but technology is moving too quick for them to stick to that plan across the board.

Heck, had Steve Jobs stayed about Scott Forstall would likely be here still which is potentially going to bring with it a whole lot of changes that wouldn't have been predicted 12 months ago.

Kaspersky

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Warsaw
"I don't even know what that means"
"No one knows what it means but its provocative"
"No it's not..."
"It gets the people GOING"

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
This is the difference between Apple and competitors. Apple can afford to take four years to develop a product, but competitors like Samsung cannot afford that mainly due to heavy subsidiary from Korean government.

iPhone 5 for me is more a so-you-guy-are-urging-for-new-phone-so-here-you-go rushed product that a real development in Apple.

----------

With respect, The Jobs era is over.

He's not here to CONvince people that the new products are "Magical" or to mesmerize them with any other _words. Let's face it his true expertise was selling. Convincing people.

Nearly hypnotizing them into believing he knew what was best for them. Oh sure, Apple collectively created some very impressive things, but those days have either evaporated, or Apple's pace of innovation has slowed to a crawl.

So far this year it's been lots of vaporware, not much substance, and yet the year's not over.

Day one of Q2 is here, perhaps Apple isn't asleep after all. Just busier than they care to admit with all the legal assaults they've either created or been drawn into... due to the great Karma they've generated.

Somehow Samsung in these years have got crazy expansion in mobile gadget market, but for Apple I believe they still have something new coming, but I don't think Apple will get into craziness like Samsung.

Maybe Samsung is who caused you to think Apple lack innovations?

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The next two iPhones are already developed? If there was ever evidence of the "leave it for the next version so people will upgrade" philosophy, this is it. So, the question that begs to be asked is "why not just release the second phone and skip the first developed iPhone entirely?"

The only possible answer I could come up with is that the tech in the second phone is too expensive to be released cost-effectively now or shortly, but won't be by the time the second iPhone will be ready for release. Either that, or the term "developed" is being used loosely here and a more appropriate description of the next two iPhones would be "conceptualized".

Fairthrope

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I suspect (hope) Apple's product roadmap until 2015 is dynamic and is not based upon what Steve knew in 2011. Otherwise, we're likely in for a disappointing next two years, folks.

I think they need a lot of rejigging the road map. I don't think Jobs would saw how voice calls now take a back seat over instant chats, buyers take the two-hands approach with grace, and how fast the competitions would catch up.

What Jobs though would happened in ten years from the competitors' side happened in five. What's the plan?

----------

Heck, had Steve Jobs stayed about Scott Forstall would likely be here still which is potentially going to bring with it a whole lot of changes that wouldn't have been predicted 12 months ago.

Are we having a Game of Throne-style corporate infighting in Apple, and Forstall got sack because he was shooting for a CEO but Cook beat him to it, and got rid of his rival for the throne?

----------

a way to make confidence in apple product lineup after steve passed away.
wonder what it will do with cook's ego.

Just accept that he's The Wings and not The Beatles. Simple enough.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I think they need a lot of rejigging the road map. I don't think Jobs would saw how voice calls now take a back seat over instant chats, buyers take the two-hands approach with grace, and how fast the competitions would catch up.

What Jobs though would happened in ten years from the competitors' side happened in five. What's the plan?

----------

Are we having a Game of Throne-style corporate infighting in Apple, and Forstall got sack because he was shooting for a CEO but Cook beat him to it, and got rid of his rival for the throne?

That's why Apple cannot release the next iPhone from original concept I believe, Apple definitely needs quite a lot of time to rejig their road plan to catch up with the current market.

I think Apple is still struggling with the release of a Galaxy Note rival.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
next gen iPhone

If Apple has 4 years worth of next gen phones, then I suggest they immediately go to year four and make that the next iPhone release. Skip this iPhone 5s(stupid).:cool:

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
No company is planning 4 years a head, especially not a tech company. It looks like this is a BS.

It's not that Apple has a crystal ball and already has every detail of 2017 laid out. But Apple does plan YEARS in advance - as they well should. If I'm not mistaken, the iPad was originally started in 2004 or 2005 and didn't debut until 2010. I would not be surprised if the general outline of new products (and direction to take existing products) was not already in motion for the next four years.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's not that Apple has a crystal ball and already has every detail of 2017 laid out. But Apple does plan YEARS in advance - as they well should. If I'm not mistaken, the iPad was originally started in 2004 or 2005 and didn't debut until 2010. I would not be surprised if the general outline of new products (and direction to take existing products) was not already in motion for the next four years.

I don't disagree. I just think it's ridiculous for people to suggest that Steve (at this point) has his hand in anything. He's dead. He might have initiated projects. But what is released to the market - while might nod some credit to Steve - won't be HIS products.

There might be things he thought up 10 years ago that will be released 20 years from now. But the actual product/software won't be "his"

LaredoHK

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Sounds like Apple is feeling the disappointment of allot of customers under the new management. If you are listening Apple.. Don't give us the iphone 5S! Nobody was impressed with the design of the 5 nor are we looking to spend more money just for a better chip and camera lens. I am keeping my 4S and so are allot of people I know... :rolleyes:

The people that think this I couldn't disagree more, and I will explain why.

Let me set up some background information:

1: I am an AT&T customer and can early upgrade for $450 (a $200 savings) every year.
2: My old iphone sells for $400 every year.
3: AT&T will charge a '*** you' early upgrade fee on top of the early upgrade fee (+$36)
4: Tax will be approx $36 dollars on the new phone.
5: So ebay fees + tax + att fee + $50 = Approx $100
6: People that say the above never factor in getting another 1 year apple manufactures warranty in which apple will next day me a new phone no questions asked. (I have used this a few times)

In conclusion paying $100 for a 1 year warranty, a faster processor, a better camera is a great deal without having to have ANY other features. Do I expect more? Yes, but every time I read trolls like this I wonder if they are smart enough to do what I have been doing since the first iPhone.

InYou101

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
The people that think this I couldn't disagree more, and I will explain why.

Let me set up some background information:

1: I am an AT&T customer and can early upgrade for $450 (a $200 savings) every year.
2: My old iphone sells for $400 every year.
3: AT&T will charge a '*** you' early upgrade fee on top of the early upgrade fee (+$36)
4: Tax will be approx $36 dollars on the new phone.
5: So ebay fees + tax + att fee + $50 = Approx $100
6: People that say the above never factor in getting another 1 year apple manufactures warranty in which apple will next day me a new phone no questions asked. (I have used this a few times)

In conclusion paying $100 for a 1 year warranty, a faster processor, a better camera is a great deal without having to have ANY other features. Do I expect more? Yes, but every time I read trolls like this I wonder if they are smart enough to do what I have been doing since the first iPhone.

Some people are gullible and will buy into anything... always the latest and greatest even if it's the same stuff lol

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Don't get your hopes up.

yah...if you haven't already knew Apple's pattern the last 5 phones. 3, 3s, 4, 4s, 5....5s, 6, 6s, 7.. that's four 4 planning with 2 changes of model of phones and little increase in feature in between for the 's' models.

LaredoHK

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Some people are gullible and will buy into anything... always the latest and greatest even if it's the same stuff lol

I find people paying $100 a month for iPhone plans far more ludacris than paying $100 a year for a small hardware upgrade.

My iPhone AT&T bill is $60 for 450 mins and 2Gb, how much is yours?

InYou101

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
I find people paying $100 a month for iPhone plans far more ludacris than paying $100 a year for a small hardware upgrade.

My iPhone AT&T bill is $60 for 450 mins and 2Gb, how much is yours?

I hate to say but I do agree with you on this one lol.. I would just like to see Apple push the envelope again instead of just making small upgrades

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This is the difference between Apple and competitors. Apple can afford to take four years to develop a product, but competitors like Samsung cannot afford that mainly due to heavy subsidiary from Korean government.
This simply is not true. If you educate yourself on Samsung, you will learn they are a massive company that build huge ships, as well as many other industrial & retail products. They've got thousands & thousands of employees in many divisions & disciplines.

Somehow Samsung in these years have got crazy expansion in mobile gadget market, but for Apple I believe they still have something new coming, but I don't think Apple will get into craziness like Samsung.?
Samsungs clear focus, smart planning & aggressive innovation is not crazy.

Maybe Samsung is who caused you to think Apple lack innovations?
Do not try & guess what I'm thinking. I've always given Apple Kudos & plenty of credit when they innovate. An area they excel in.

Conversely when they go soft, stop innovating, & resting on their laurels I speak out about that too.

I am nothing, if not an extremely loyal Apple customer of two decades. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars several times over buying their laptops, desktops, mobile devices & peripherals.

I have a deep understanding of Apple Inc. Make no mistake, I like this company!

Yet like all free thinking well educated technologists, I don't believe everything they say.

Troy598

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
I take back any negative things I've said about Apple products in the last few years.
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Let Steve go. Seriously.

I concur. However the reality is all one has to do is look at all the posts in this forum written by his disciples.

Therefore in order to make a point they'll relate to, one has to dredge up the past & the man that they believe knew better than they did in terms of what was good for them.

If ones paying attention you'll see plenty of posts where they come right out and brag about it. Much like they brag about Apples money & sales volume as though it was theirs.

It's a unique phenomenon that only exists in AppleLand :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.