Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
I noticed this Friday evening. I had been using my phone before getting into the car. When I arrived somewhere and pulled it back out, I hit the front-facing button. Nothing. A couple more times, nothing. Then I tried to use both buttons to reset it and realized that it had simply turned itself off. I restarted it and it's been fine since.

Any ideas of what to make of this? When I mentioned it to my family my wife and daughter each mentioned that their iPhones (the 4) have done that a couple of times.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I noticed this Friday evening. I had been using my phone before getting into the car. When I arrived somewhere and pulled it back out, I hit the front-facing button. Nothing. A couple more times, nothing. Then I tried to use both buttons to reset it and realized that it had simply turned itself off. I restarted it and it's been fine since.

Any ideas of what to make of this? When I mentioned it to my family my wife and daughter each mentioned that their iPhones (the 4) have done that a couple of times.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
It could have crashed and failed to automatically restart. You could have had the buttons held down in an odd way in your pocket, forcing it to shut down. I guess there's a number of possibilities.

The key, of course, is if it happens again. Then I would seek either a software restore or a replacement phone.

canwe3

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012

Thanks in advance,
Chris
happens once a month for me. I never had this issue with android too bad all the good phones on android are 5+inches. I want a phone that can comfortably fit in my pocket since I don't play games or watch movies.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
This can happen to all phones. It has happened a number of times on my previous Android phone (20 months) and once on my current Android phone (in 8 months). On my old Android phone, I attributed it to possibly the battery contacts. I'm pretty sure this was the cause because once it turned off just after I placed it down on the table. It happened a few times in succession, so I removed the battery, cleaned the contacts and put it back in. Then it was fine for several months and did not turn off due to placing it on the table.

This may not be the cause for the iPhone as the battery is sealed and it is unlikely debris can easily get into the contacts. It could be just some process crashed and the iPhone is not able to recover. Not sure what you can do other than perhaps return it for a replacement unit.

cpcod

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
3rd time it hasn't turned on while charging on bedside

first time it happened we thankfully set a second alarm for an early fight. I never trusted since and twice more over the past month i will pick it after charging all night on my bedside table and I have to reset to get it to turn on. Hasn't happened in other situations. Hate to return phone since it will likely be refurbished with some other issue. any one have this problem and resolved it?

bdoople

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I've had the same issue on both of my iPhone 5s. I had a launch day phone that did it 4-5 times the first month or two, then when I got my 2nd iPhone a few months ago (brand new from AT&T) this one has done it 3-4 times over 2 months. I will go to use it and it's just off. Sitting on a table or in my pocket or on my desk, doesn't really matter. Also happened before and after the jailbreak. I have to do a reset (Holding home and sleep/wake) to get it to come back up. I've been tempted to take it to Apple but at this point it's pretty much guaranteed I'll lose my JB and I just don't want to deal with it right now.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Funny thing this just happened to my 5 minutes ago. It happend to my twice before as well. Always it was in my pocket tethered via bluetooth to iPad.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks in advance,
Chris
I've had this problem in the past. It happens rarely and hasn't affected any normal functioning of the devices, so you should be fine in that respect.

Is the device jailbroken? If it is a rogue tweak could be causing the problem.

cpcod

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
I've had this problem in the past. It happens rarely and hasn't affected any normal functioning of the devices, so you should be fine in that respect.

Is the device jailbroken? If it is a rogue tweak could be causing the problem.

mine is original day of release. what it does affect is the alarm feature since all 3 times my problem happened when i woke up and looked at the phone. i just can't trust it as an alarm clock which is a pain.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
mine is original day of release. what it does affect is the alarm feature since all 3 times my problem happened when i woke up and looked at the phone. i just can't trust it as an alarm clock which is a pain.

I used the alarm almost daily for 2 years and I've never had a single issue aside from bugs to do with daylight savings which wasn't the device itself but widely reported bugs in the OS.

But yeh, really if you want to be 110% it works, it makes sense to buy a dedicated alarm clock, you can purchase them for like 10-15$ probably cheaper.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This has never happened to me in 2 years of iPhones, 5 with iPod. If it did, probably the 2nd time I'd be replacing it at the Apple Store. A 5 is certainly within warranty.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks, guys. I haven't seen it happen since. Either a freak thing or I had just the right pressure in my jacket pocket to shut it off.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Funny you mention this.

Happened to me yesterday evening. 3 years with iPhones, have had iPhone 5 since September, not once.

But did that yesterday afternoon. *shrug*

Hekjek1

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Atlanta, ga
My iPhone 5 has always worked well and I've used it as an alarm every day since I got it when it came out last year. Now, twice in the last 2 days, it has shut down by itself even though it was not overheated and had sufficient battery power and I had to reset it to start it. Last night it did it overnight, while was charging, so now I'm late to work. I COULD buy an alarm clock but if I wanted that, I would have kept the one I had before!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.