Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Let the good times roll..

Apple must REALLY love dealing with China, since half the time they get in trouble with them over lawsuits anyway.

(umm.. so this is where all the moneys going.. I thought i was a bit short.)

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
This is hysterical. What's next? North Korea complaining about other countries threatening them?

BTW - "Hit" is the wrong term for a $530,000 lawsuit against Apple. Tapped is more like it. "Was that a feather that landed on me?"

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The oil companies make profit from every crime involving a car, be that a bank heist, car jacking, murder or what ever. Should wee seek compensation from the oil companies because they have deep pockets too ?

I'm not sure I understand your connection.

Apple is selling something that's copyrighted. The app is the thing in question, not what someone does with the app.

The oil company isn't selling something illegal or copyrighted, regardless of what the gas is used for. To go further, you could say any crime involving a stabbing with a knife should hold the knife company responsible. But I still don't believe it's the same thing as Apple selling copyrighted material.

The product is the subject in question, not the actions involving the product.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
1) There is nothing "alleged" about this. They ARE coming over, and have been for many, many decades, and have completely changed the payscale value of labor as-well-as the available job opportunities for legal citizens. They also receive free help with medical and child education needs.

All true. And the ones who receive the most benefit from this phenomenon are not the downtrodden immigrants slaving away for sub-minimum wage. Instead, the ones who benefit are the employers, like the Agribusiness interests. They benefit from a huge army of un- and under-employed. Such a situation is crucial in their efforts to lower labor costs.

Don't lose sight of the real reasons why no credible steps are being taken to do anything about the situation.

----------

10 years from now i am curious to know where Apple will be making their products

Just look at Sony. They too once were at the top. And Apple is making some of the same mistakes that Sony made.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Apple sells pirated movies, and your attitude is "It's not their fault"?

IMO, a vendor is responsible if it sells pirated movies. And I'm confident that in most universes, that is true.

:confused:

You should probably sue hard drive manufactures because all their devices contain 99% of all pirated content. Sue the internet for providing a means of transfer. Sue electric plants because 100% of all pirates use electricity to pirate. Sorry but China needs to go after the company that submitted the app and/or ask apple to simply remove the app from the store.

Otherwise this is the equivalent of suing Apple because someone used safari to visit a website that contains pirated media.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
:confused:

You should probably sue hard drive manufactures because all their devices contain 99% of all pirated content.

If they were sold containing pirated content, maybe -
If I were the owner of the copyright.

But given that neither of these factors is present, the suggestion is nothing short of inane.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
If they were sold containing pirated content, maybe -
If I were the owner of the copyright.

But given that neither of these factors is present, the suggestion is nothing short of inane.

Exactly so did you miss this part? " it appears that the issue relates to the films being made available through third-party App Store apps"

If an application connects to a web page or remote server that might stream or download copyrighted material, how is that under Apple's control? Again it's like suing Firefox for copyright infringement because users can use it that way if they go to the correct site.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Exactly so did you miss this part? " it appears that the issue relates to the films being made available through third-party App Store apps"

If an application connects to a web page or remote server that might stream or download copyrighted material, how is that under Apple's control? Again it's like suing Firefox for copyright infringement because users can use it that way if they go to the correct site.

How do you conclude that the application connects to a web page or remote server that might stream or download copyrighted material?

Many of the crappy apps that Apple sells to its customers are just books and other copyrighted content wrapped up with an app wrapper.

And even if the app does not have the content within it, but instead retreives it on command, what difference does that make? If Apple sells an app called "Argo" which retreives a pirated version of the movie, how is Apple less to blame than if it sells an app which contains the movie?

ISTM that in both cases Apple is selling a pirated movie.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
How do you conclude that the application connects to a web page or remote server that might stream or download copyrighted material?

Many of the crappy apps that Apple sells to its customers are just books and other copyrighted content wrapped up with an app wrapper.

And even if the app does not have the content within it, but instead retreives it on command, what difference does that make? If Apple sells an app called "Argo" which retreives a pirated version of the movie, how is Apple less to blame than if it sells an app which contains the movie?

ISTM that in both cases Apple is selling a pirated movie.

Because Apple doesn't like pirating just as much as others, they sell media... themselves. They don't want trouble with copyright holders.

I've never seen Apple doing shady things in the App store the circumvent piracy laws. Please post a source or a real example. It's generally developer that try to circumvent Apple.

Either way the proper course of action is to ask Apple to pull the app and then go after the developer. Just like youtube gets video's pulled on demand... This is not the case it's just someone trying to make a buck.

Only way I could say you are right is if this was a movie in the iTunes store that was available for rent or purchase, or if apple made the App that was being sold and not a third party.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Either way the proper course of action is to ask Apple to pull the app and then go after the developer.

How about instead you demand that Apple cease and desist selling pirated copies of your work, and then go after Apple and its partner?

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
How about instead you demand that Apple cease and desist selling pirated copies of your work, and then go after Apple and its partner?
Because it's like suing the internet when people use it for illegal activities, but apparently people don't understand that.

I highly doubt the movie is embedded into the App.

While we're at it let's sue car manufacturer for selling a car to the guy who killed someone while driving drunk. Let's sue the gun manufacture because some guy used a gun to murder someone. Lets sue the electric company because someone's kid was electrocuted when mom didn't baby proof her outlets.

See the pattern there? One party provides a legal service while the other is responsible for the crime.

This is why we can't have nice things... but sure sue them both and unless the judge is a fukwad that doesn't understand tech, they will just ask apple to pull the App (which it probably would have done by now).

Last edited:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Because it's like suing the internet when people use it for illegal activities, but apparently people don't understand that.

No, it is like suing Wall Mart if they sell pirated copies of your movie, but apparently you don't understand that.

The real distinction you seem to miss is that the App Store is curated. Apple picks and chooses some products to sell, while rejecting others. They are not a common carrier who is bound to serve all comers. They are a retailer who is fussy and particular about what it sells.

Apple ain't no victim. They are big boys.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
No, it is like suing Wall Mart if they sell pirated copies of your movie, but apparently you don't understand that.

The real distinction you seem to miss is that the App Store is curated. Apple picks and chooses some products to sell, while rejecting others. They are not a common carrier who is bound to serve all comers. They are a retailer who is fussy and particular about what it sells.

Apple ain't no victim. They are big boys.
-_- Oh my...

I give up, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

So take a look a site called URL redacted

They host movies... now tell me who do we sue I sell an app that can connect to this site aka "a web browser" or even an app the connects exclusively to that site? Keep in mine this site could start off as anything they could pretend to be a dating site and when apple approves the App they can switch the content to pirated media. So where lie the responsibility?

Personally if i was you, I'd sue the internets, interwebs, youtubz, all the LOLcats... but only as a start. After that I'd probably blame Obama and go after Dell and HP for selling servers of mass copyright infringement.

Anyways don't put too much though into your next response (lol who am i kidding I don't think you put much into any of them) becuase I don't plan on replying to more dribble.

Last edited by a moderator:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
-_- Oh my...

I give up, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

So take a look a site called URL redcated

They host movies... now tell me who do we sue I sell an app that can connect to this site aka "a web browser"

But without any real information that this was the setup that Apple was selling to people, you nevertheless conclude that it is precisely what was happening here.

Right?

Last edited by a moderator:

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
But without any real information that this was the setup that Apple was selling to people, you nevertheless conclude that it is precisely what was happening here.

Right?

But assuming that someone stuck 100mb to 4GB video file in an app is more likely. Just stop responding...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.