Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_lte-250x215.jpg
The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple will begin production on the next iPhone this quarter, setting the stage for a potential launch this summer.
Apple Inc. plans to begin production of a new iPhone similar in size and shape to its current one in the second quarter of the year, according to people familiar with the device's production, teeing up a possible summer launch for the next version of its flagship device.

At the same time, Apple continues to work with its manufacturing partners in Asia on a less expensive iPhone that could be launched as soon as the second half of this year, these people said.
In line with some previous rumors, the report claims that the lower-cost iPhone will include a 4-inch display like the iPhone 5, and likely make use of plastic casing materials. The report claims that Apple has been testing "different color shells" for the lower-cost iPhone but that its ultimate plans remain unclear.

Update: The Wall Street Journal has expanded its report to include additional context, including word that iOS 7 is expected to debut in the middle of this year, presumably alongside the new iPhone hardware as is tradition for Apple.
How the innards of the next iPhone may differ from the iPhone 5, which went on sale last September, remains unclear. Apple often upgrades the processor and other components like the camera between models. Apple is also expected to ship the next version of its iOS mobile operating system around midyear, other people familiar with the matter have said.

Article Link: Apple to Begin Production of Next iPhone This Quarter, Summer Launch Possible

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
They'd better deliver something to make me optimistic about or...I'm done with iOS. I'm not a fan of having to jailbreak and not update anymore. That's the main drawback of google, right? Waiting for a release of software?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
If June/July launch is to happen then we should see an event within the next two weeks or so. I am more curious about iOS 7 than 5S.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If June/July launch is to happen then we should see an event within the next two weeks or so. I am more curios about iOS 7 than 5S.

Yeah, so far every iPhone update has been at the same time as an iOS update.

If the iPhone 5S and iOS 7 are going to ship in July then there should be a developer preview event in the near future to show the main new features and let developers start testing beta versions.

If we don't hear anything until WWDC then I would expect a fall launch for iOS 7 just like with iOS 5 and 6.

They could always release a new iPhone that runs iOS 6, that would be a major change for them though.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
The new OS is typically previewed 3 months before the handset, so if the iPhone will drop this summer, they'd better get a move on and preview iOS7 or there will be zero to none apps to take advantage of the new hardware at launch!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
odd, i thought Apple was going to skip 2013 and wait until 2014 for a new phone launch.

I guess WSJ holds a bit more ground as a media company but...yeah.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Cheaper iPhone just sounds like the dumbest idea ever. Apple wants to be known as the Ferrari of the technology industry. Ferrari would never announce a cheap Ferrari.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
I'm actually more anxious to see the next version of iOS (7) rather than new hardware.. Just seems like nothing new is really coming..

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
The iPhone 5 is already awesome in my opinion. The problem isn't the phone. It's the freaking OS.

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
Cheaper iPhone just sounds like the dumbest idea ever. Apple wants to be known as the Ferrari of the technology industry. Ferrari would never announce a cheap Ferrari.

Ferrari did start making a lower cost car with the California.

However, I definitely get your point.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
We all look for the 5S then BAM iPhone 7. It's so good it skips 6.

What? Calling it iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 makes no sense! It's a natural succession and it's definitely going to be called iPhone 6.

And it all goes back to the time when people argued whether the 6th generation iPhone should be named iPhone 5, iPhone 6 or the new iPhone.

Last edited:

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011

No, comparing a phone manufacturer to a super-premium luxury automaker is the dumbest idea ever.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

thats ridiculous. who has ever said they are the Ferrari of the tech world, let alone what Apple has said. how many bloody students own a Ferrari?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
The 5S, yawn. :mad:

Wake me up when the iPhone 6 is here.

Really true, I think the 5s will be the least anticipated phone so far from Apple.

Will probably still get it though, I've kinda got used to the size now and with my Black ops case I really like it.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
They could always release a new iPhone that runs iOS 6, that would be a major change for them though.

That would be fine with me! It would mean they would be taking the appropriate time to develop software that truly provides something new and innovative to the iPhone experience. This yearly "bump" isn't really doing it for me anymore..

Alas.. It's still my favorite experience out there.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
You are reacting to rumors as if they are true. 90% of next iPhone rumors are false.
So far i think Apple considers the 4 and 4s to be their low cost phone, when the 5 s comes out then the 5 is a low cost phone.
Personally I would like to see Apple come out with a bigger screen this year but very unlikely that will happen anytime soon
They need to loosen up on the OS to allow replacement of core apps and availability of banned apps like the drone attacks app.
Also I didn't think they needed full multi-tasking but am changing my mind on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.