Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a Branch chat, which at the time of this writing is still going on, Daring Fireball's John Gruber says, according to what he's heard, iOS 7 is running behind schedule and that it will bring a significant user interface (UI) refresh.
What I've heard: iOS 7 is running behind, and engineers have been pulled from OS X 10.9 to work on it. (Let me know if you've heard this song before.)
Gruber went on to say that he's heard that iOS 7 is a "significant system-wide UI overhaul" and the iOS engineers who are allowed to carry around devices with iOS 7 on them even have special privacy filters on their devices which reduces viewing angles. This is to prevent others from accidentally getting a glimpse of the new iOS design.

Back in 2007, Apple delayed the release of OS X Leopard to concentrate work on iPhone. Gruber hints that this could be the case with Mac OS X 10.9 and iOS 7.

softwareupdate.png

iMore's Rene Ritchie follows up Gruber's comments, saying that he's heard that Ive's work with iOS 7 is "making many people really happy, but will also apparently make rich-texture-loving designers sad."

His comments come during a Branch talk that includes Gruber, Ritchie, TechCrunch's MG Siegler, Engadget's Tim Stevens, The Next Web's Matthew Panzarino and more.

Ritchie follows up his earlier predictions, noting that he's heard that an event for a new, 9.7-inch iPad is or was planned for April, but it was contingent upon the new iPad being ready for release. He also notes that he's hearing the iPhone 5S will arrive in August, although Ritchie also says it could be a July/August window rather than a specific month.

As for what could be on the iPhone 5S, both Siegler and Panzarino say they've heard a lot about biometrics on the new device. The feature would apparently be used for payments and identification. Panzarino notes it wouldn't be surprising to see AuthenTec's biometric technology in Apple devices so soon after Apple purchased the company last July because of the urgency of the deal.

Finally, Siegler says he's heard "a whisper" that Apple's Passbook team is due for a shakeup and is in "shambles," though Ritchie points out that Forstall's departure could be the reason for the Passbook team's troubles.

Article Link: iOS 7 Running Behind, Rumored to Have Significant Visual Makeover

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
All together now:

ABOUT DAMN TIME APPLE!!!!

In regards to the total makeover. I really appreciate the efficiency of iOS, reminds me so much of Symbian in that respect, but even Symbian was refreshed and updated more often! So yeah, love the efficiency, more then ready for some fun new looks graphics and features :):apple:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Is Clayton Morris on crack: "April Event: iWatch, Flat Panel TV, new iOS cards app. In that order."

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
I'm soooooo excited for this. I really can't wait. Whether it's a major overhaul or not... If the feel of the OS is just as good as the feel of the hardware, it will be absolutely amazing.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
The only bad thing that could come of this is that we'll have to wait longer for release.

aheying7

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Here's what I see happening:
June WWDC: iOS 7 Previewed; iPad 5 Introduced; iPhone 5S Introduced
June: iPad 5 Ships/Launches
July: iPhone 5S Launches with iOS 7
September Keynote: iPad Mini 2 Introduced; "Cheap" iPhone Introduced; iOS 7.1 Previewed
September: iPad Mini 2 and Cheap iPhone Launch with iOS 7.1
November Keynote: iWatch Introduced
November: iWatch Ships

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
The last thing I (we) want them to do is to hurry on the project. Though it's important to get things done by a set date, the importance of it getting done right is way more important.

iOS 7 needs to arrive with a bang, no questions.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I'd much rather have delayed software that is amazing than rushed software that is buggy or slow. Can't wait to see what iOS 7 has to offer!

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Meh I don't take anything seriously from a faboi such as Gruber. He's boring.

In fact he's implying that Apple is seriously mismanaged if Apple has to 'pull' engineers from OS X to iOS to finish something (as if throwing more engineers has ever helped solve a problem before - Apple did once do so in the past, but only in light of their surprise success of iOS... the success and importance of iOS is not an unknown factor at Apple today.. though in the imaginations of Gruber it is still 1997) :rolleyes:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
So iOS will deviate away from the OS X UI, or how should one interpret this? I thought Apple was about keeping things uniform. Hearing about any UI redesign from Apple always makes me sceptical, because in the end, it never happens. I bet any UI changes are minimal.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
New iPhones have traditionally coincided with major new iOS versions. If the iPhone 5S is still due in the previously rumoured July/August timeframe and iOS 7 is now supposedly behind schedule, would Apple actually launch the iPhone 5S without iOS 7? That seems unlikely. So then if iOS 7 is delayed shouldn't the iPhone 5S be similarly delayed if they need to launch in sync?

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Here's what I see happening:
June WWDC: iOS 7 Previewed; iPad 5 Introduced; iPhone 5S Introduced
June: iPad 5 Ships/Launches
July: iPhone 5S Launches with iOS 7
September Keynote: iPad Mini 2 Introduced; "Cheap" iPhone Introduced; iOS 7.1 Previewed
September: iPad Mini 2 and Cheap iPhone Launch with iOS 7.1
November Keynote: iWatch Introduced
November: iWatch Ships

A new iPhone has never been released without a new version of iOS, and there has always been ~3 months from the announcement of a new version of iOS to it's release, so a June announcement of the iPhone 5S is out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.