Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
I have a 2010 mid iMac 27 with i5 . Its good , but the HDD is quite slow, which makes a lot of process slower.
So, im thinking to get a SSD and copy the whole HDD to do it and then replace the HDD with the SSD.

Here is what I want to get
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-256GB-2-5-Inch-Transfer-CT256M4SSD2CCA/dp/B004W2JL84/

The link says, it comes with a data transfer kit for mac and PC.

So, has anyone tried it yet ?

I want to know, how it works.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That cable that comes with the kit will work just fine, but don't use their software. Just use the free, 30 day trial of Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC).

Install your SSD, then attached the old HDD to the cable and plug it in to a USB port. Now option key boot to the old HDD. Start Disk Util and format the SSD to Mac OS Extended, then quit Disk Util. Now run CCC and clone the old drive to the new then shutdown.

Unplug the old HDD from USB and restart from the new internal SSD. Go to System Prefs in Startup Disk and select the new SSD as the startup drive.

You should be all set.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
When would you enable trim for such a switch? And by the way, Weaselboy, I've been bouncing between confident and scared to add an SSD because I've never done it before. Your little walk-through has now helped me stop bouncing. Thanks.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Now run CCC and clone the old drive to the new then shutdown.

Unplug the old HDD from USB and restart from the new internal SSD. Go to System Prefs in Startup Disk and select the new SSD as the startup drive.

You should be all set.

So cloning that copies everything from the HDD, right ?
Same like Time Machine does.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When would you enable trim for such a switch? And by the way, Weaselboy, I've been bouncing between confident and scared to add an SSD because I've never done it before. Your little walk-through has now helped me stop bouncing. Thanks.

Yep.. it is pretty easy. The drive swap on the iMacs is a little scary IMO though, but otherwise very easy. Shoot me a message if I can be of any help. :)

So cloning that copies everything from the HDD, right ?
Same like Time Machine does.

Yes, that will copy everything over. When you start back up off the new SSD, everything will be just as it was when you were running off the HDD.

Yes, just like Time Machine (TM). Actually, if you already have a Time Machine backup on an external drive you can just use that instead of CCC and the connection kit (assuming you are on 10.7.2 or later).

Just install the SSD, then option key boot to the TM disk. This will get you to a recovery screen on the TM drive. Now run Disk Util and format like I described earlier, then quit Disk Util and click restore. This will pull the OS and all your data off the TM and onto the SSD with the same end result as using CCC to clone.

If you already have a TM external disk, this is probably the easier way to go.

The only hitch I have seen (and this can happen with either method) is some apps like Adobe or Microsoft Office apps in particular will think you have installed on a new machine because the new SSD is detected. Then you will be forced to reenter registration serial numbers.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Here is the problem with Time Machine.

My Time Machine backup is 201GB .

I got a new SSD. Relaced the HDD with the new SSD on my Macbook Pro.
Installed Lion on the SSD from the disc. Then started up and opened MIGRATION ASSISTANT .
Now the TM hangs on CALCULATING screen for 10-12 hours, but still not able to calculate the total 201GB to give me the PROCEED button.

So, it looks like TM doesnt work for bigger backups. I had tried for 50-60GB backups last year and it worked just fine. Now, it doesnt work at all. I have tried 4 times this week. It just stays on the calculation screen.

Whats the solution ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Here is the problem with Time Machine.

My Time Machine backup is 201GB .

I got a new SSD. Relaced the HDD with the new SSD on my Macbook Pro.
Installed Lion on the SSD from the disc. Then started up and opened MIGRATION ASSISTANT .
Now the TM hangs on CALCULATING screen for 10-12 hours, but still not able to calculate the total 201GB to give me the PROCEED button.

So, it looks like TM doesnt work for bigger backups. I had tried for 50-60GB backups last year and it worked just fine. Now, it doesnt work at all. I have tried 4 times this week. It just stays on the calculation screen.

Whats the solution ?

Sounds like maybe the TM backup is corrupted? Try running Disk Utility repair on the TM disk.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
How about if I dont have the data transfer kit and I already have the SSD installed into the Macbook Pro.

Is there a way, I can copy my iMac data to Macbook Pro SSD ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How about if I dont have the data transfer kit and I already have the SSD installed into the Macbook Pro.

Is there a way, I can copy my iMac data to Macbook Pro SSD ?

Sure, just connect the two machine with an ethernet cable then use Migration Assistant to move everything over.

First make sure the account on the iMac is not already on the Macbook with the same name. For example if you have an account on the Macbook called soamz and also one on the iMac called soamz... Migration Assist will try to import the account into itself and you will get a bunch of duplicate folders and a big mess.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ethernet cord to connect two devices ? Why is that necessary ? Is this a new way to do this ?

Yep... this will allow Migration Assistant to move your data directly from machine to machine with no other outside disks involved in the process. It is not new. As I recall you could do this from the very time Migration Assistant came along.

Arguably, it may be the best option as there are no intermediary devices involved.

Can we simply connect the TM backup disk to the Macbook Pro and open Migration assistant ?

Yes, that will work also. But from your previous post it sounded like your Time Machine backup may be borked. :confused:

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Oh awesome! So, if I understood is, just take a ethernet cable, connect one end on iMac and another end of Macbook Pro.
Then open Migration Assistant on the Macbook Pro and select , FROM ANOTHER MAC ?

Before that, make sure, there is enough space in the Macbook Pro SSD for the complete TM backup of the iMac, right ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Oh awesome! So, if I understood is, just take a ethernet cable, connect one end on iMac and another end of Macbook Pro.
Then open Migration Assistant on the Macbook Pro and select , FROM ANOTHER MAC ?

Before that, make sure, there is enough space in the Macbook Pro SSD for the complete TM backup of the iMac, right ?

Yes, exactly. Also make sure you don't have the account name issue I mentioned above in post #10.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Just tried it.

Connected an ethernet cord to both the iMac and Macbook Pro and started Migration Assistant.

Its saying, "LOOKING FOR OTHER COMPUTERS" since 45 minutes.

What to do ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just tried it.

Connected an ethernet cord to both the iMac and Macbook Pro and started Migration Assistant.

Its saying, "LOOKING FOR OTHER COMPUTERS" since 45 minutes.

What to do ?

It should find the other machine in 30 seconds or so.

Try another cable if you have one. Make sure the software firewall is off on both machines. Did you launch Migration Assistant on the second machine?

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Software farewell location for option?

And do I need to open migration assistant on both the machines?

What to select on source mac?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Software farewell location for option?

And do I need to open migration assistant on both the machines?

What to select on source mac?

The software firewall is in System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Firewall tab.

Yes, you will plug in the ethernet cable directly between the machines. Then launch Migration Assistant on the Macbook and start the process. You should get a prompt to start it on the second machine as I recall.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Ok let me explain, what Im trying to do :

iMac is my source computer.

Macbook Pro has the SSD Installed with Lion and has enough space . I want to copy iMac to Macbook Pro SSD.

So, I connect an ethernet cord between imac and macbook pro.

Then start Migration Assistant on both .

On iMac : TRANSFER DATA TO A MAC.

On Macbook Pro : TRANSFER DATA FROM A MAC.

Right ?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes

Macbook Pro has the SSD Installed with Lion and has enough space . I want to copy iMac to Macbook Pro SSD.

Right ?

Yes.

There aren't any other steps.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Right ?

Exactly. You've got it.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Tried the same and now the computer showed up.

But its the same issue.

The backup says calculating since 45 mins.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Ok it worked now.
Calculating got over in 35 minutes and I started the migration.

It ran for 3 hours.

In the end it says, +0890348583455. XXX iMac folder could not be copied.
And there was LOG OUT in the bottom.
I clicked on that.

Then restarted.

I see, it came up with the old macbook pro user accounts. Damn!

Then logged in and saw, all the apps were copied, but the app data and user settings were not copied.

So, Im deleting it again and trying again.

What could it be ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Then logged in and saw, all the apps were copied, but the app data and user settings were not copied.

So, Im deleting it again and trying again.

What could it be ?

When you get to the screen that asks what you want to move over, make sure you check all the boxes on that screen including each account under Users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.