Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Hi.
Is there a good mail app that works well with multiple gmail and yahoo accounts?

I've used Sparrow for a day and hated it.
The navigation was terrible.

I purchased Postbox and I don't think it works well with multiple accounts. (I'm unable to create a second gmail account, it tells me the server is already there) I should have ran the demo first.

I'm using the mail app now. The painful thing is sometimes mail gets sent out from wrong gmail account. It is very frustrating to say the least.
I'll highlight which email account I want to use and then select new mail, type and send, and sometimes it goes from the correct account and other times not.
In the app I've specified which google server to use however they are all named "google".

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Postbox works, you probably just need to work out the smtp settings for each new account.

Mail, Postbox, Thunderbird and Outlook all handle multiple accounts fine. The more accounts, the worse it is dealing with the folder lists in all of them, of course.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I'm running 3 GMail accounts (as well as 5 .mac, .me, .icloud accounts and 3 hotmail accounts) using the mail client that comes with the OS. No problems at all.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I'm using the Mail app now. The painful thing is sometimes mail gets sent out from wrong gmail account. ... In the app I've specified which google server to use however they are all named "google".
Not that I like Mail a lot - but I have 6 accounts in Mail and I don't remember that it ever happened that Mail did send an email from a different account than the one that I chose when composing the email. In my SMTP server list the names for the various Google servers for the various email accounts with their various passwords have unique names (like Google/account1; Google/account2) to make sure that always the right server with the right password is getting used.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Like others, I use Mail.app with multiple Gmail accounts and it works flawlessly. I recommend you double-check your preferences and account settings.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Mail.app

Just set it so you have to choose which account to send from every time.

After that, it's on you for sending from the wrong account.

Not saying Mail.app is the best, but I haven't found anything better.

loosedrag

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
multiple gmail account problem restated, then Solved!

I use many gmail accounts in mail and I can testify to the same problem. I'm constantly sending out mail FROM the wrong account & only realize it when the response comes in addressed to one of my other accounts.
What I have come to believe, however, is that frequently I DO have the right outgoing mail account selected but Mail trumps it with some whimsical selection. This seems to occur randomly.
AHA! I JUST FIGURED THIS OUT!
In attempting to verify that I'm not making a fool of myself with my post, I see that I have neglected to change (under mail>prefs>accounts,) the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER. Though I have carefully switched all of my account descriptions from "gmail" to each separate address, all my accounts list only "gmail" as the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER regardless of which account I select, so I have no way of knowing which one of my many accounts is actually being used to SEND the message since they all say "GMAIL". I just now went in and changed the setting to reflect my individual accounts (at the bottom of the "accounts" pane,>outgoing mail server (DUH!) I guess I feel happily stupid? Stupidly happy? Normal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.