Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For nearly two years, we've been following the saga of patent troll Lodsys, which has been demanding licenses from and filing lawsuits against developers over in-app purchasing and related functionalities in their apps.

Apple quickly stepped in on behalf of iOS developers when the situation first arose in May 2011, claiming that its existing license with Lodsys covered developers using iOS development tools, and nearly a year ago Apple was granted limited permission to intervene in lawsuits filed against developers by Lodsys. While Lodsys initially focused on small developers, it did expand its scope to take on gaming heavyweights such as EA, Rovio, and Atari.

lodsys_logo_2012.jpg
News has been relatively quiet on the Lodsys front for the past year, although the firm did announce last October that a key claim of one of its patents had been upheld following reexamination and tout that it was achieving significant licensing momentum with over 150 companies already signed up to license some or all of the firm's four patents. Many of these firms are small developers who likely felt that taking out a license was a safer solution than trying to fight a lawsuit against Lodsys.

We've heard that Lodsys has continued to send out notices to app developers over the last few months, and yesterday the firm took on another big name in the industry by filing suit against Disney. As with many of the firm's other lawsuits, Lodsys is citing its '565 and '078 patents in alleging that Disney's apps, including the popular Where's My Water?, contain infringing functionality.
On information and belief, Disney manufactures, uses, sells, imports, and/or offersto sell infringing products and/or services -- including but not limited to Disney's applications such as Where's My Water? -- which infringe at least claims 1, 15, and 27 of the '565 patent under 35 U.S.C. § 271.

Prior to filing this complaint, Lodsys informed Disney of the patents-in-suit and offered to enter into a licensing arrangement that would allow Disney to continue practicing the inventions claimed in patents-in-suit. Disney, however, chose not to enter into a licensing agreement. Instead, with knowledge of the patents-in-suit and disregard for Lodsys' patent rights, Disney chose to continue its infringement. On information and belief, Disney continued its infringement despite an objectively high likelihood that its actions constituted infringement of a valid patent (i.e., the '565 patent). Disney was made aware and, therefore, knew of the risk that it infringed the '565 patent. Accordingly, Disney acted knowingly, willfully, and with intent to infringe the patents-in-suit.
wheres_water_cranky.jpg
The lawsuit against Disney is just one of ten filed against app developers by Lodsys over the past several days, with other targets including major iOS developer Gameloft and Paper Toss and DragonVale developer Backflip Studios. Also targeted is TLA Systems, which consists of PCalc developer James Thomson, who was among the first to speak up about threats by Lodsys nearly two years ago.

pcalc_store.jpg
Lodsys now touts that over 200 companies hold for its patents, and it seems to be ramping up efforts to expand that number even further, using new lawsuits to pressure developers who have declined to enter into licensing agreements so far.

Lodsys is targeting not only app developers with its efforts, but also other companies such as major retailers Nordstrom, Burberry, and Godiva. In recent months, Lodsys has filed additional lawsuits against other companies including SanDisk, Volkswagen, Crocs, Dr Pepper Snapple, General Motors, and HP, demonstrating the broad range of companies being targeted by the effort.

It is currently unclear exactly where things stand with Apple's efforts to defend its developers from threats by Lodsys, but Lodsys has clearly been emboldened by its licensing and patent challenge successes and is continuing to take aggressive steps to capitalize on its patent holdings.

Article Link: Lodsys Targets Disney's 'Where's My Water?' and Others in New Round of Lawsuits Over In-App Purchasing

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
That's AWESOME! Finally they have bitten more then they can chew. I hope Disney will put these trolls out of business. They're really hurting indie developers :/

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Disney are no stranger to the courtroom. This should be interesting now!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That's AWESOME! Finally they have bitten more then they can chew. I hope Disney will put these trolls out of business. They're really hurting indie developers :/

They've targeted big companies before this. I really hope Disney can end this farce, but I wouldn't expect a happy resolution anytime soon.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I love how Lodsys is described in the article-- on a site known for its objectivity-- as being a "patent troll." No shame whatsoever :D

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Till this day, I do not understand how Patent Trolling is not illegal in the united states, how about simply forbidding these kind of practices? If you're not planning on contributing to the product, you don't get the patent. If you plan on contributing to that product but you haven't done so for at least 5 years.. your patents are revoked, simple as that... WHY this is still a problem in the US is beyond me.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
LOL! Because level packs are a huge deal when it comes to IAP? Not that Disney doesn't do the typical coin money grab in its Gardens of Time game, but you CAN'T fight over something innocent as Where's My Water? The level packs are GREAT, and they add cool new gameplay.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I think either of these quotes sum this up rather well:

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, Tora! Tora! Tora!

"I've made a huge mistake" - Arrested Development

----------

I love how Lodsys is described in the article-- on a site known for its objectivity-- as being a "patent troll." No shame whatsoever :D

Well, it would be a different story if Lodsys were legally fighting Apple on this, but they aren't. They "licensed" the patent to Apple, and then turned around and starting filing lawsuits against all of the developers that were using the Apple license. This reeks of planned malevolence from the start.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Till this day, I do not understand how Patent Trolling is not illegal in the united states, how about simply forbidding these kind of practices? If you're not planning on contributing to the product, you don't get the patent. If you plan on contributing to that product but you haven't done so for at least 5 years.. your patents are revoked, simple as that... WHY this is still a problem in the US is beyond me.
Because this is America. Go take a look at that damn Monsanto bill that just passed.

I'm rooting for Lodsys on this one. I hope the win and in-app purchasing dies because no one wants to license it.
You know how many games/much content I wouldn't have access to if it wasn't for IAP and the "Freemium" model?

A La Carte FTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I'm rooting for Lodsys on this one. I hope the win and in-app purchasing dies because no one wants to license it.

In a way, I agree... I hate in app purchases... Too many apps try to milk extra money for extra features that should just be a part of the app... Even paid apps...

And don't get me started on these "freemium" games... Some are impossible to play or take forever to play unless you buy coins or other garbage to be able to progress...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Whether or not you like in-app purchasing should be irrelevant. Patent trolls are bad regardless, and should never be rewarded.

Because this is America. Go take a look at that damn Monsanto bill that just passed.

Monsanto makes Lodsys and EA look like a bunch of fairies.

Last edited:

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
This story effects me in no way as I'm not a developer and don't download Apps. At the same time it irritates me all get out.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Whether or not you like in-app purchasing should be irrelevant. Patent trolls are bad regardless, and should never be rewarded.

Exactly what reward would they be getting in that particular case? They get their patents, we lose IAP, they can't keep up their revenue stream, they die. Sounds like a win-win to me.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Exactly what reward would they be getting in that particular case? They get their patents, we lose IAP, they can't keep up their revenue stream, they die. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Except this loophole in patent law won't be fixed, thus allowing more "companies" to terrorize small developers in the future over many more trivial patents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.