Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsaravanan

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
Final, final, final version

A week back, decided to get a Spyder and calibrate the screen using the device.. Adjusted the white point slightly after the calibration finished, and ended up with the profile attached here. Waited a week before posting - still on this profile, so I think it should help.. Compared to this, you'll find the SC24 profile slightly bluish..

Hope this helps,

Realized one more thing - that setting the brightness level in the color profile to max when calibrating causes the white to appear more yellowish.. Fixed in the attached version. Perfect now as far as my 'eyes' certify.. [I think I might be annoying the team here by posting so much, so will stop with this version.. :)] Have fun.

[Ironically I reach a stage where I am beginning to like the display, and if the rumors are true, next week Apple is going to release a 13" Pro with a Retina display.. ** Sigh **]

Attachments

• LG Color LCD-12.icc.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,189

JBat

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Washington
I've read most of this thread and I finally have to ask. How are these profiles everyone is posting actually applied to the computer? For the life of me, I can't figure it out. Also, how can I tell which brand of display my Air has?

rsaravanan

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
Instructions for applying the profile

I've read most of this thread and I finally have to ask. How are these profiles everyone is posting actually applied to the computer? For the life of me, I can't figure it out. Also, how can I tell which brand of display my Air has?

Use the following commands in a Terminal window to find the make/model of the display:

For non Retina Mac`a
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

For Retina Mac`s
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the resulting string printed out from the above command starts with LT, its a Samsung display, if it starts with LP, the display is an LG..

Use the following steps to apply the profile to your computer:

•*Open a new Finder Window
•*Hold down Alt and click on the 'Go' menu -> you'll see an item named 'Library'
•*Select Library -> you'll find a folder named ColorSync and within this folder, a directory named Profiles..
•*Extract the icc profile (from the zip) into this folder

•*Open System Preferences -> click Displays and select the 'Color' tab
•*You'll see a list of profiles - the file you downloaded should appear here
•*Select the entry to apply the profile to your computer..

JBat

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Washington
Use the following commands in a Terminal window to find the make/model of the display:

For non Retina Mac`a
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

For Retina Mac`s
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the resulting string printed out from the above command starts with LT, its a Samsung display, if it starts with LP, the display is an LG..

Use the following steps to apply the profile to your computer:

•*Open a new Finder Window
•*Hold down Alt and click on the 'Go' menu -> you'll see an item named 'Library'
•*Select Library -> you'll find a folder named ColorSync and within this folder, a directory named Profiles..
•*Extract the icc profile (from the zip) into this folder

•*Open System Preferences -> click Displays and select the 'Color' tab
•*You'll see a list of profiles - the file you downloaded should appear here
•*Select the entry to apply the profile to your computer..

Thanks a lot for the reply, it was very helpful. There's a lot of computer-savvy folks on these forums, and I appreciate you taking the time to put all of this together.

rsaravanan

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
Update (no new profile being attached)

Realized one more thing - that setting the brightness level in the color profile to max when calibrating causes the white to appear more yellowish.. Fixed in the attached version. Perfect now as far as my 'eyes' certify.. [I think I might be annoying the team here by posting so much, so will stop with this version.. :)] Have fun.

[Ironically I reach a stage where I am beginning to like the display, and if the rumors are true, next week Apple is going to release a 13" Pro with a Retina display.. ** Sigh **]

Hi all,

I think I have posted some 5-6 profiles here, and while these have evolved as I was learning, I realized a little while back that I had never actually got to comparing them against each other..

Did this a couple of days back, and was surprised to find that I liked the 'LG Color LCD - 4' version the most.. Have switched to this for now - thought I'll post the update..

[If I were in your position (with a 2012 Macbook Air 11" and an LG LCD and wondering which profile to try out), I would probably go with the 'LG Color LCD - 4'.. ..your preference may vary though..]

Hope that helps,

R. Saravanan

rsaravanan

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
Try both out and decide

Hi all,

I think I have posted some 5-6 profiles here, and while these have evolved as I was learning, I realized a little while back that I had never actually got to comparing them against each other..

Did this a couple of days back, and was surprised to find that I liked the 'LG Color LCD - 4' version the most.. Have switched to this for now - thought I'll post the update..

[If I were in your position (with a 2012 Macbook Air 11" and an LG LCD and wondering which profile to try out), I would probably go with the 'LG Color LCD - 4'.. ..your preference may vary though..]

Hope that helps,

R. Saravanan

To add to the above - try both 'LG Color LCD - 4' and 'LG Color LCD - 12' and decide.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
Think i have tried nearly every single color profile on here and they all seem too bright, i only have my screen on brightness 4 and after a few minutes it strains my eyes reading text

I cant seem to use the built in calibration tool to set my own.
What a noob :)

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hi all,

Hope that helps,

R. Saravanan

I have a 2011 11" MBA with an LG screen (Just found this out). I applied the LG Color LCD - 4 and I am enjoying it very much.

Thanks for your efforts and posts.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Just installed Wnidows 7 on Bootcamp and calibrated the screen using the built in calibration tool and the screen looks fantastic! The colors are rich and the contrast is just right.

I believe its the OS X that's the issue rather than the LG Panel.

People who have bootcamp can probably confirm this.

Now wondering if I can copy the color profile from Windows into Mac.

Last edited:

peleh

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013

peleh

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Do you have a link to this?

Here it is the Anandtech Profiles:
LG: http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/mac/macbookair2012/AnandTech-MBA13-LG-Profile.icc.zip
Samsung: http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/mac/macbookair2012/AnandTech-MBA13-Samsung-Profile.icc.zip

In case anyone wants to improve even more the contrast, its ok to just press:
To decrease Contrast: Command + Alt(option) + Control + ,
To increase Contrast: Command + Alt(option) + Control + .

Just increase the contrast 1 time(1 click) is enough to remove the washed out veil that these screens have.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Here it is the Anandtech Profiles:
LG: http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/mac/macbookair2012/AnandTech-MBA13-LG-Profile.icc.zip
Samsung: http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/mac/macbookair2012/AnandTech-MBA13-Samsung-Profile.icc.zip

In case anyone wants to improve even more the contrast, its ok to just press:
To decrease Contrast: Command + Alt(option) + Control + ,
To increase Contrast: Command + Alt(option) + Control + .

Just increase the contrast 1 time(1 click) is enough to remove the washed out veil that these screens have.

Wow I tried the LG profile on my new 13" MBA. That looks terrible. I already have the previously shared LG profile created by one of the MacRumors members, which looks brilliant compared to the AnandTech one.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Wow I tried the LG profile on my new 13" MBA. That looks terrible. I already have the previously shared LG profile created by one of the MacRumors members, which looks brilliant compared to the AnandTech one.

I still find the ML stock profile the best, the one MacRumors member posted is just darker, try watching a movie-the really dark parts are almost invisible under that profile.

ovation802

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I tried opening a color profile from page 1 of this thread and it opens but does not apply to my display. I have a 2012 cMBP with Mountain Lion. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

xj8954

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
Think i have tried nearly every single color profile on here and they all seem too bright, i only have my screen on brightness 4 and after a few minutes it strains my eyes reading text

I cant seem to use the built in calibration tool to set my own.
What a noob :)

Can't blame you. To be honest, I find that calibration on Windows 7 is much intuitive compared to Mac's.
That's why I'd also prefer trying others profile instead of calibrating my own. =(

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
Very sorry for bumping this very old thread. I had since come back to a macbook air with LG panel and would like to get the old profiles.

I see a lot of links are dropbox and no longer work.
Anyone with LG panel could you please upload the profiles this would be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.