Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It's because it sucks get CCC man. All kidding aside CCC is super fast in comparison its all I use now.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
It's because it sucks get CCC man. All kidding aside CCC is super fast in comparison its all I use now.

CCC is great at recovering from a broken drive... and as you say it is super fast. It is my favorite cloning software.

However, cloning is not effective backup. It essentially loses all history on every clone. So while clones are great for some purposes... they completely fail for many others.

I would only recommend cloning (and I do) once you have a real backup system in place.

/Jim

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
CCC is great at recovering from a broken drive... and as you say it is super fast. It is my favorite cloning software.

However, cloning is not effective backup. It essentially loses all history on every clone. So while clones are great for some purposes... they completely fail for many others.

I would only recommend cloning (and I do) once you have a real backup system in place.

/Jim

I just use CCC because I don't really care about old files I've personally chose to delete, don't want that taking up extra space on a HDD. I don't really need old music albums or duplicate photos archived that I have canned.

Also I do the CCC clone about once month so I've got about a months worth of stuff backed up any way in the event I delete something accidentally, which has never happened to me.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I just use CCC because I don't really care about old files I've personally chose to delete, don't want that taking up extra space on a HDD. I don't really need old music albums or duplicate photos archived that I have canned.

Also I do the CCC clone about once month so I've got about a months worth of stuff backed up any way in the event I delete something accidentally, which has never happened to me.

Both humans and programs can do screwy things. Humans are probably worse... but both happen.

I was once creating a "temp folder" of all my vacation photos for a project. I went into my pictures (filed by year) and "copied" them over to the temp folder. Low and behold... by accident (or fumble fingers)... I "moved" one by mistake. Of course... once the project was over, I deleted the "temp folder".

Two years later... I noticed that a full years worth of vacation photos were missing. No problem... I restored from backup.

Cloning would not have worked. Saving space on a backup drive is immaterial... storage is "free".

I consider myself as disciplined as anyone... we all make mistakes at some point in our lives.

YMMV.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.