Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5/ru...ulse&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

I really want an iPhone with a bigger screen, but I always thought it would be better and a little more expensive like the Note ll ( and no I do not want an android device) . They may be targeting a different market with a lower cost iPhone, but of that's the only option with a bigger screen then their also missing out on a huge market.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
lower cost doesn't mean bad

being lower cost doesn't neccesarily mean it will be less powerful or unable to perform up to the top model.

Most likely the two phones will use the same resolution and if one screen is bigger, it will most likely be cheaper to make since the pixels don't have to be as small. hence lower cost.

vaio1990

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
it's really weird that we have yet to see any photos leaked on the larger iPhone 6

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
being lower cost doesn't neccesarily mean it will be less powerful or unable to perform up to the top model.

Most likely the two phones will use the same resolution and if one screen is bigger, it will most likely be cheaper to make since the pixels don't have to be as small. hence lower cost.

No lower cost because it's cheaper to make and that includes the body, processor, camera, ram etc and not just the screen.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I think that they may release bigger Iphone but I am not very sure that Apple will make cheaper Iphone :rolleyes:

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Why is everyone talking about a new lower cost iPhone???? They already have that. 4,4s. Free,$99. The 5 will move into the 4s spot this year and so on.

If you want a huge screen. Buy an iPad.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Why is everyone talking about a new lower cost iPhone???? They already have that. 4,4s. Free,$99. The 5 will move into the 4s spot this year and so on.

Because not everyone lives in the US. Those lower cost phones you mention are still $450/$550 and do not offer very high profit margins. By making a phone specifically for developing nations, they can get the manufacturing cost down and still allow them some decent profit margins. And $550 for many countries is not a low cost phone just so you know.

vaio1990

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012

Because people just buy those older models used from craigslist... Apple makes no extra money

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Because not everyone lives in the US. Those lower cost phones you mention are still $450/$550 and do not offer very high profit margins. By making a phone specifically for developing nations, they can get the manufacturing cost down and still allow them some decent profit margins. And $550 for many countries is not a low cost phone just so you know.

I'm not sure what iPhones cost in other countries. Only what I've read about here, in Brazil and so on. Put it in perspective for me. What does an S3 cost in comparison to an iPhone 4s or S2?

I don't see how making an entirely new product will reduce manufacturing costs. Selling a iPhone 4 now, while buying the parts at a reduced cost would keep the margin similar or maybe slightly lower. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

Because people just buy those older models used from craigslist... Apple makes no extra money

Not entirely true. Verizon said that they benefited a huge amount this year by having the 4 for $99.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure what iPhones cost in other countries. Only what I've read about here, in Brazil and so on. Put it in perspective for me. What does an S3 cost in comparison to an iPhone 4s or S2?

The S3 is not a viable option in developing countries either. I don't see how that is a worthwhile comparison. A low cost iPhone is going after a totally different market than the US. The US is one of a few countries that actually subsidizes phones. So looking at up front costs based on the US market is pointless.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5/ru...ulse&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

I really want an iPhone with a bigger screen, but I always thought it would be better and a little more expensive like the Note ll ( and no I do not want an android device) . They may be targeting a different market with a lower cost iPhone, but of that's the only option with a bigger screen then their also missing out on a huge market.

You do realize these are rumors correct? Perhaps you should look the word up. Just because someone says it does not mean it's true. You're overrating.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
The S3 is not a viable option in developing countries either. I don't see how that is a worthwhile comparison. A low cost iPhone is going after a totally different market than the US. The US is one of a few countries that actually subsidizes phones. So looking at up front costs based on the US market is pointless.

So you want to compare a cheap android to a year old flagship. That's not a comparison. Again, what does a S3 or S2 cost in these developing countries. It's a fair comparison. Apple doesn't compete with free and cheap handsets. The same as Mercedes doesn't compete with Kia.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
So you want to compare a cheap android to a year old flagship. That's not a comparison. Again, what does a S3 or S2 cost in these developing countries. It's a fair comparison. Apple doesn't compete with free and cheap handsets. The same as Mercedes doesn't compete with Kia.

Huh? First off, I didn't even say anything about Android. And the S3 is comparable to the iPhone 4S in terms of cost. However, the S3 isn't comparable to a possible low cost iPhone because it isn't being sold in these countries either. I'm sorry you don't understand the point of a low cost iPhone. Just saying they should use old iPhones is laughable. There is a reason investors have been pushing Apple hard for the last 2 years to make a low cost iPhone.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Huh? First off, I didn't even say anything about Android. And the S3 is comparable to the iPhone 4S in terms of cost. However, the S3 isn't comparable to a possible low cost iPhone because it isn't being sold in these countries either. I'm sorry you don't understand the point of a low cost iPhone. Just saying they should use old iPhones is laughable. There is a reason investors have been pushing Apple hard for the last 2 years to make a low cost iPhone.

How is Apple going to make a low cost iPhone? They would have to use older and cheaper to purchase tech, right. That's exactly what the 4 & 4S are.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
How is Apple going to make a low cost iPhone? They would have to use older and cheaper to purchase tech, right. That's exactly what the 4 & 4S are.

No. Most likely they will use cheaper materials. Not older materials. The glass from the 4/4S will surely not make it into a cheaper iPhone.

vaio1990

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
With a price of $330, Apple's market share in China is going to skyrocket... Assuming that the screen size is at least 4.5"

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Cheaper thicker (but rugged enough) materials packed with sloppier tolerances during quicker manufacturing results in a bigger product.

Thin but stronger materials manufactured with microscopic tolerances just costs more to build and results in lower yields (increasing the costs even more).

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I think Verizon should make a larger phone and use the polycarbonate materials like they did in iPhone 1, 2, and 3 to reduce costs and provide customers with what they want. You need to offset costs somewhere and keep up or risk losing customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.