Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theheadusher

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Switch Failed

I know this post is old, but if anyone is looking (as I was) you can use All2MP3. This is free, and I have used it without problem.

Just upgraded to Lion and normally Switch has always worked for me, but I typically only convert flac. I tried using switch today on some WMA files and it gave me an error saying that mp3el was not able to open as power pc apps are no longer supported. ?? Never got this before and I thought Power PC apps weren't supported in Snow Leopard either.

Anywho the ALL2MP3 linked above worked for me, although I prefer Switch.

bubbaa

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Not FREE FFmpegX

Don't waist your time with the run around... FFmpegX not free:mad: what happened to integrity in business? Don't be up front... Let's be sneaky and make a potential customer jump through so many hoops, he'll just buy it...:cool: (not cool)

reidoh

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Help!!

I just downloaded and installed Switch on my MacPro, converted in a batch about 12 WMP's to MP3 simply and quickly.

Thanks for the Switch recommendation.:apple:

I know this thread is old but... I'm a DJ too and a client gave me a disk with 100's of wma files on it. I found "Switch" and tried to use it but always get this error message:

"An error has been encountered when converting the file (insert name here). Do you wish to continue converting files?"

In other words it won't work. Hey, staninfrance, what did you do differently, I wonder?

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
I'm on Lion (10.7.2) using Switch 4.1.5 and have had no problems flipping wma to mp3. I don't like having to do a second flip to add ID3 tags though. And strangely enough when I do the 2nd flip with all the data (title, artist, track, cover) entered the first set of mp3's are now tagged. Just delete the 2nd versions. Switch flips them all pretty quick too so no big deal.

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
I'm on Lion (10.7.2) using Switch 4.1.5 and have had no problems flipping wma to mp3. I don't like having to do a second flip to add ID3 tags though. And strangely enough when I do the 2nd flip with all the data (title, artist, track, cover) entered the first set of mp3's are now tagged. Just delete the 2nd versions. Switch flips them all pretty quick too so no big deal.

nobody try the advanced menu in itunes has a convert to mp3 listed in there.
anyway if go to macupdate .com and search there you should get list of free or pay for converters there

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me find a freeware program to convert a non-copyright WMA file into an MP3 I can import into my Mac's iTunes?

I looked on versiontracker and found 2 but one turned out to be a dumb demo that would only allow 12 seconds of conversion, and the other one looked like it was meant for something else :p

Help?

I use XRecode on my pc for audio transcoding. That and torrenting tv shows is pretty much the only tasks it's useful for these days.

Last edited:

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
nobody try the advanced menu in itunes has a convert to mp3 listed in there.
anyway if go to macupdate .com and search there you should get list of free or pay for converters there

I couldn't get iTunes to accept the .wma files though. On a pc, sure. But not on my mac anyway.

staninfrance

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I know this thread is old but... I'm a DJ too and a client gave me a disk with 100's of wma files on it. I found "Switch" and tried to use it but always get this error message:

"An error has been encountered when converting the file (insert name here). Do you wish to continue converting files?"

In other words it won't work. Hey, staninfrance, what did you do differently, I wonder?

Sorry, but I just read you message for the first time today. You asked what I did differently. I have no idea what you did so there is no way to compare.

I hope you got the challenge resolved. --Stan from California

FriesWithThat

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
sorry for digging up this thread, but I was looking up for a software to convert my wma files and this website came right up and solved my woes right away, macrumors rocks!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hi

Old thread but it came up when in Google and nobody provided the following answer that has worked for me. I already tried dragging it to iTunes. Nothing happened. I guess that means it's protected? I have no idea. How do you check? If I install EasyWMA, can I convert it to MP3 format--even if it's protected? And it can bring the ID3 tags across with the conversion?

hello! you should check out Max.app first, see if it can convert for you... :)

Seven738

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
In iTunes for Windows, you can convert your unprotected WMA files to AAC files (or whatever file format is chosen in the Importing pane of iTunes Preferences) without changing the original WMA file. Simply drag the WMA files into your library in iTunes and iTunes does the grunt work, converting them for you. Windows Media Player 9 or later must be installed to convert unprotected WMA files. Protected WMA files cannot be converted.

Last edited:

nomadjack

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Easy fix but 7 years too late

Mate, your prob must be done and dusted by now but for those with a similar dilemma, the easiest freeware for this is Audacity. Not so much if you want to batch convert but if it's only a matter of one or a few files, it's a pretty easy process with a wide range of formats. Can convert both ways too. I don't think I have anything super. I'm running SL10.6 on an iMac 21. Just recently dropped a WMA file on the desktop and it played right off the bat. Was that supposed to happen??.
Love my Mac, Love Audacity but I'll certainly have a look at some of the recommended in these posts for the larger batches.

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me find a freeware program to convert a non-copyright WMA file into an MP3 I can import into my Mac's iTunes?

I looked on versiontracker and found 2 but one turned out to be a dumb demo that would only allow 12 seconds of conversion, and the other one looked like it was meant for something else :p

Help?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
.....I'm running SL10.6 on an iMac 21. Just recently dropped a WMA file on the desktop and it played right off the bat. Was that supposed to happen??.
Yup, pretty much. You need a plugin in Audacity to save as mp3 though. I agree, Audacity is GREAT - have been using it for yonks!!

Love my Mac, Love Audacity but I'll certainly have a look at some of the recommended in these posts for the larger batches.
Like in my previous post, Max is one of the best for large batch encodings. :)

Sallier

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Converting is a pain. The new VLC player not only works with your WMA's but also imports your iTunes library = GREATNESS!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
While Easy WMA does work, it only supports MP3 in the free version..

Personally, many people may not no but VLC can works great. File >> Convert/Stream.

It only does one at a time however, but its the best so far.

If you need to do in batch convert, if you have access to Windows, install instal iTunes and is uses Windows media player to convert.

sammy66

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Anyone who formats in exe files knows a Mac user can't do anything with them except drag them to the trash and delete them. So why don't they use formats both Macs and PCs can use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.