Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Music subscription service Rdio has expanded to video, today launching a movie and television streaming service called Vdio. Vdio functions like iTunes rather than like Netflix, allowing users to purchase and rent video content.

Though it does not offer a subscription service, Vdio does incorporate social content discovery, allowing users to see what their friends are viewing. Vdio users are also able to create and share playlists.

vdio.jpg
Pricing is similar to iTunes and Amazon, with a movie rental costing approximately $5 and TV shows priced at $3. Content must be purchased from the website, but can be viewed on an accompanying iPad app, which supports AirPlay.

Rdio subscribers with premium Unlimited accounts will be offered a free $25 gift certificate for the service, as will people who subscribe within the next 60 days.

Vdio for the iPad can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Rdio Launches Video Streaming Service and App Vdio

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I got it! Let's make something like iTunes/Amazon except it'll be harder to buy!

Last edited:

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
So you have to go to the website to rent the movie and then go to the app to see it?? Seems like too much trouble they should of just done it with the app with in ap purchase!! But I can understand they don't want apple taking that 30% cut!!

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Subscription services, like Netflix, are the future. The content providers hate the subscription, but the reality is that it is either subscription, or piracy.

This one is dead on arrival.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
So you have to pay $10 a month AND pay $5 to rent a movie ?

:confused:

I can rent a movie from iTunes without having to pay Apple $10 a month.

Attachments

• vdo.png
    vdo.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 157

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
As an Rdio subscriber which I love I will use the $25.00 of credit and probably never use the service again. I predict a flop for this one.

jchausse

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2005
Pretty good solution for rentals...

I love Rdio's design and usability, so I really want to like Vdio (which just let me in). But there's no way I'm going to pay full price to "buy" a movie that can only be viewed via streaming.

That said, the social sharing and "set/playlist" functionality makes this a really compelling service for collecting a list of movies to rent, then browsing your list and renting them when you're in the mood for a movie. As long as I can easily stream to my TV via AirPlay, I really don't care about DRM on a rented movie.

The Kindle app-like lack of in-app purchase on the iPad app is a huge bummer, though. Can only make purchases on a computer.

So, in summary, mixed feelings :)

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
Is it just me or anyone else sees absolutely no reason to use this over itunes or the very same netflix?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I really don't see the point of this. However, I'm already a Rdio subscriber, so I'll use the $25 credit and be done with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.