Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we noted that Samsung was rumored to be launching a new "store-within-a-store" concept inside Best Buy stores, taking on the dedicated "Apple Shops" that have been located in many Best Buy locations for a number of years.

samsung_experience_shop.jpg
Samsung and Best Buy have now officially announced the partnership, with "Samsung Experience Shops" focused on the company's mobile products coming to 1,400 Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile locations over the next several months.
At the Samsung Experience Shops, consumers can experience Samsung's full range of mobile products including smartphones, tablets, laptops, connected cameras and accessories, all in one location. The shops enable consumers to interact with and buy Samsung's latest mobile products and experience how the devices connect together to enrich their lives.

Select Best Buy stores will have Samsung Smart Service(TM), which includes dedicated Samsung Experience Consultants(TM) and Best Buy blue shirt sales associates to assist customers with purchasing and activating mobile products on the carrier of their choice, understanding their device and supporting them throughout the lifecycle of their product. The specially trained Samsung Experience Consultants will assist with product demonstrations, basic product services, Samsung account set up, warranty registration and post purchase support.
The Samsung Experience Shops will be of a variety of sizes, with the largest measuring 460 square feet and others such as those in Best Buy Mobile locations being considerably smaller.

Article Link: 'Samsung Experience Shops' Coming to 1,400 Best Buy Locations

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Nice shops.... in a bankrupt location (Best Buy).
I got an idea! Buy a spot in an Apple store and sell there!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Do people actually still physically shop at Best Buy? :confused:

I do, on a fairly regular basis. I often need some media as a last minute gift, or an accessory yesterday. Online shopping is nice, but I'm going to be paying extra to get something tomorrow, whereas going to an actual store I can get something in 20 minutes for less money.

That roll out sounds a lot more aggressive than I was expecting. Does Best Buy/Samsung not think it would be a good idea to experiment with the concept before spending so much on it? They're hiring several dedicated staff for each location... That's going to cost a lot of money.

Also, whereas Apple sells items with a huge profit margin (Macs), Samsung doesn't have much of a margin for any of their products... How are they going to cover those wages (probably the biggest expense for them.)

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Ah, Best Buy.

The farmers market of technology, where every vendor gets their own fruit stand.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Why wouldn't people? :confused:

Quicker than getting stuff mailed.

Of course, it was original when Apple had a store within a store, right? :rolleyes:

Not much quicker. I can usually get overnight delivery from Amazon for $4 with my Prime membership. And unlike Best Buy, I can see reviews and comparisons from the comfort of my home.

----------

so this is mac + apple competitor rumors.~

You must be new here.

Oh, you are new. Welcome!

Fafafoooey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
USA
Samsung is just stupid

No original ideas, so copy everyone else.

I would never buy their products.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
The Best Buys in Seattle already have their own Samsung 'shops' setup. They used to have the Apple products front and center. Then about 2 years ago they moved all of the Apple products to the worst spots in the store and started promoting non-Apple devices heavily.

It's really pathetic when an American company will try to promote foreign companies over their fellow American companies.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I suppose it depends where you live, there's a BB not 10 minutes from my current location, and no car or public transport required.

Not much quicker. I can usually get overnight delivery from Amazon for $4 with my Prime membership. And unlike Best Buy, I can see reviews and comparisons from the comfort of my home.

Wowow.. another samsung idea to copy apples

Apple DID NOT invent the store within a store concept.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I only go to Best Buy these days to pick up a cable, or occasionally a thumb drive. I've never bought an Apple product at the Apple store-in-a-store, nor would I buy a Samsung product at their store-in-a-store.

Even though it's a longer drive, I'd rather go to my local Apple Store to shop for Apple products. Best Buy is just meh.

It's not like the Best Buy employees weren't already pushing their products. That's kind of the point of the Apple store-in-a-stores, to get some attention since they'd normally get none at all from the Windows and Android-using Best Buy employees. Does Samsung really think they're underdogs? I expect Best Buy was thrilled to have Samsung pay extra to do exactly what Best Buy was doing anyway. No idea what Samsung is getting out of the arrangement. Certainly won't be any additional sales...

S

syd430

Imitation is the finest form of flattery. While they may lose market share, all this copying only reinforces Apple's image as a cultural icon.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Let's put aside the "Apple vs Samsung" debate for a moment... can anyone else see future stores being nothing but company stores? Best Buy is turning into a mall-within-a-mall.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
It doesn't actually look all that much like the Apple booths - I'm surprised.

Apart from the fact that it's a Store in a Store in Best Buy with a contemporary, minimalist design, selling phones and tablets.

It's not as if Samsung has copied Apple before, right :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.