Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg today introduced a new home screen experience for Android devices. The company is trying to flip the user experience on phones so users will navigate their phone "through people, not apps".

During the question-and-answer session after the event, Zuckerberg said bringing Home to iOS would not be as easy as with Android and would have to happen via the company's existing partnership with Apple. Because Android is 'open', Facebook isn't required to work with Google on the project.

Instead of seeing an app icon or name, Facebook has designed all interactions to focus on individual people rather than keeping emails and text messages from the same friends separate.

facebookhome.jpg
Facebook claims users turn on their phone 100 times per day, and, among other things, is redoing the lock screen on the Android phone to give users a slideshow of photos and updates from their Facebook News Feeds.

'Home' includes another new feature called 'chat heads', allowing users to keep their ongoing SMS and Facebook messages on top of every app on the phone for easy access. The company is putting a huge amount of emphasis on 'content' and 'people' rather than 'apps', and, as a result, Facebook has put itself in the middle of everything the user does on their phone.

chathead.jpg
Engadget is reporting Facebook Home will be available on select Android devices (HTC One X, HTC One X+, Samsung Galaxy S III and Samsung Galaxy Note II) on April 12th. Interested users can view the livestream at Facebooklive.com. Facebook expects Home to arrive on Android tablets within several months.

Additionally, Facebook is offering a program for carriers and device makers to bundle Facebook Home into devices from the factory. HTC and AT&T are the first companies to sign on, with the 'HTC First' coming out April 12 for $100.

Article Link: Facebook Introduces New 'Home' Screen for Android Devices, Arrives April 12th

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm watching the livestream and it looks pretty nice! Great job, Facebook! They haven't announced a phone yet. They are just discussing Home now. Sucks that I don't have FB though.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
So when everyone changes their profile photo to whatever the "cause" of the week is it will get real confusing.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Not interested in Facebook being in the middle of all my mobile online experiences.

Seems silly to have Facebook phone, I don't even like the facebook app...

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Seems a lot of the friends/information centric thinking behind this is not so different from the Live Tile/social centric Windows Phone.

If you think of your phone principally as a portal to Facebook then this is for you. Otherwise it's a UI layer you have to muscle your way past to do whatever non-FB thing it was you were planning on doing.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
I'm watching the livestream and it looks pretty nice! Great job, Facebook! They haven't announced a phone yet. They are just discussing Home now. Sucks that I don't have FB though.

You know Facebook is free?

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
A clever means of combining email, sms, contacts and phonecalls into the one 'Facebook' app.
That said I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole and it looks half-baked. The only way I can see this taking off is if Facebook subsidise phones with their custom home screen.

thekris1234

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
If this was a Twitter phone, I'd get one. I prefer Twitter over Facebook because you know whatever **** you're reading, it'll be over in 140 characters.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I don't have/like/want Android, the UI looks hideous and I hate Facebook as much as the people I have on it so...

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
This is pointless unless you're nosy and sit 24/7 on Facebook, and want to see what everyone's doing at any given time.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I think this will be successful. I'm positive FB will push this launcher via their app and website - it won't be like you would have to actively search for this in the Play Store.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Based on my facebook feed, it'd be a phone that would display nothing but baby pictures, wedding/engagement shots, and unfunny eCards 24/7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.