Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have a bunch of apps that I use that I don't want to show up for Guest users like Dropbox, 1password, Fantastical etc. How do I turn them off only for Guest users?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Login Items are set on a Per-User basis. So if you have those apps as Login Items in your user account, they will not be Login Items in Guest Accounts or other user accounts, unless they have been added to the Login Items for those accounts.

If you don't want them to SEE or USE those apps at all on the computer, then you're probably looking at Parental Controls.

You can create an Applications folder in a User account, and install apps there. Then they will only be available to that user.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Login Items are set on a Per-User basis. So if you have those apps as Login Items in your user account, they will not be Login Items in Guest Accounts or other user accounts, unless they have been added to the Login Items for those accounts.

If you don't want them to SEE or USE those apps at all on the computer, then you're probably looking at Parental Controls.

You can create an Applications folder in a User account, and install apps there. Then they will only be available to that user.

Well the thing is, whenever I install any app I select to install it for all users so how would I go about removing them only for guest accounts?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
whenever I install any app I select to install it for all users
How do you do this exactly? I've never seen any such option. However, any application in /Applications is *available* to all users. But being able to use these apps, and having them launch at Login are two different things.

And even if the apps are available to other users, the individual data between each user account will be separate. So if you have passwords in 1Password, they won't be accessible to other users who launch the app.

If you want to protect your data, then don't worry: that's already protected.

If you only want one account to use that app, then put the app in a folder named "Applications" at the top level of your user account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.