Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I am thinking of digging my ATV 1 out of the box and using it with my older LCD TV downstairs - I particularly appreciate the fact that I can store content locally with it (40GB at least).

My question: is it still useable considering the lack of iOS-related updates? What kind of service/feature is lacking when comparing it with the newer iOS models? Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Lobstrosity

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Definitely still useful, especially in your case!

The only features I've noticed missing comparing our ATV1 vs ATV3 is lack of display mirroring and airplay for video from an iOS or iTunes source, but audio works great. You can also get the RemoteHD app to add airplay video functionality to it and that works well as a cheap upgrade.

The store functionality is still there and working as it should, and updated with new titles just like the newer devices.

Obviously you don't have netflix, hulu, NHL or MBL on it either.

jeffreco74

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Atv 1

You also can't stream your purchased items from the Itunes store to it directly from Apple. If they are stored on your computer, you can stream just fine.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
You also can't stream your purchased items from the Itunes store to it directly from Apple. If they are stored on your computer, you can stream just fine.

Thanks. Just one more question: does the "Universal" Handbrake preset work fine with it? I can't remember now, but it's the preset I use for all my rips for use on the ATV2, iPad et al.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks. Just one more question: does the "Universal" Handbrake preset work fine with it? I can't remember now, but it's the preset I use for all my rips for use on the ATV2, iPad et al.

Yes, universal is appletv 1 compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.