Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Ok, so whats really better about this version? Cause the download arrow on the right is making me crazy. Its gigantic grey pop-up plus blue pop-up is messed up. Yes, you get 2 pop-ups at the same time. Moreover, the donwload window shows only 3 downloads, you cant resize to show more and it always shows the latest download, not necesserally the current unfinished downloading files...

I went back to 19, unless someone says 20 is way superior in handling flash.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Ok, so whats really better about this version? Cause the download arrow on the right is making me crazy. Its gigantic grey pop-up plus blue pop-up is messed up. Yes, you get 2 pop-ups at the same time. Moreover, the donwload window shows only 3 downloads, you cant resize to show more and it always shows the latest download, not necesserally the current unfinished downloading files...

I hear in Firefox 82 most of the flaws will be fixed...so sit on Facebook until that happens and keep uploading all those pictures folks!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Superior when handling flash? I don't get how you expect it to be better when handling a third party plugin.

The only way that it could get "better with flash" is if it worked like Chrome and had it baked in.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
No need to downgrade over this since you can get the old one back by simply changing the following key in about:config from false to true: browser.download.useToolkitUI.

The other new features are more under the hood (bugfixes, performance improvements, security fixes): http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/20.0/releasenotes/

Aha! That may work for me, I welcome the under the hood improvements, I just wanted the download window to work as before, I will try and see what happens

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Aha! That may work for me, I welcome the under the hood improvements, I just wanted the download window to work as before, I will try and see what happens

You should always run the latest for the security fixes alone

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
No need to downgrade over this since you can get the old one back by simply changing the following key in about:config from false to true: browser.download.useToolkitUI.: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/20.0/releasenotes/

Beautiful, worked perfectly!

I actually liked the new baloon pop-up instead of opening new window. But again, the removal of a pause button, the inabillity to scroll up and down between all downloads and the order the new manager kept ordering the downloads was too much of a change for me wich would slow downs my productvity

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
From what I've seen there will be improvements to the download panel in upcoming Firefox releases. You could try running Firefox Beta (which is Fx21 now) or even Aurora (which is Fx 22).

You can pause downloads in the download panel though. Rightclick and select "pause". Too bad there isn't a button for it though.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
From what I've seen there will be improvements to the download panel in upcoming Firefox releases. You could try running Firefox Beta (which is Fx21 now) or even Aurora (which is Fx 22).

You can pause downloads in the download panel though. Rightclick and select "pause". Too bad there isn't a button for it though.

worst then this is not be able to scroll between downloads an the order they are arranged, wich requires you to open a a new window do view ALL downloads, wich takes time and resources

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I don't think you can scroll in the download panel because it only shows a certain amount of downloads (5 or so). I haven't tried downloading a lot of files yet. If you want to view all the downloads then you need to click the bottom option which indeed opens a new window or hit cmd-j (this previously opened the downloads window containing all downloads and it still does that).

I think that works for most users since they don't download many files at the same time, maybe one or two tops. The panel is great for that. If you need more info (like speed which isn't shown in the panel) there is cmd-j. Thought it would annoy me too but it seems to be growing on me actually but then again, I don't download more than 3 files at a time. If I do there is cmd-j. What I wish it did was only show when there are active downloads and disappear when the download list is empty. It doesn't do that and I think I know why: you have the option to drag something to that button to download it. You can't do that when the button is gone. Silly feature if you ask me, clicking is much easier (option-click downloads too).

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I know the button appearing besides google search may be visually disturbing to someone, but I keep mine at the same bar with the tabs, below the google search, it gest more discrete and never worries me. Below is a screenshot:

The red "T" is a translation add-on, I click on it and it translate to my language the entire page.

BTW, yes you can scroll up and down with the old download window, wich is the one I am using with Firefox 20.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-04-06 at 4.01.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-06 at 4.01.04 PM.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 58
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.