Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
First of all, sorry for my english, I am from Romania so english is not my native language.
I decided to make a topic about my iPhone ; This not a review, I am not going to talk about the pros and cons, iOS vs. Android and bla bla bla.
In this topic I will show you my phone, my apps, my UI and so on. I haven't seen a topic like this on MacRumos so I though "The hell with it, I'm going to make one". So yea, you don't have to read it but if you do I hope you like it. (and I really hope that this topic will not get lost in the archives and nobody will be interested in it)

About me : (if you care)

I'm 19 years old and I live in a medium city in Romania at the border with Hungary. The city is called "Oradea" or "Oradea-Mare" (the second name is an old name)
I'm in the last year of high school and currently deciding at wich University I would like to go.
Besides that, I am an iPhone user since 2007 ; had all the models except the iPhone 4S and a Macintosh user since 2008 and an Apple TV user since 5 days ago.
I like Rock & Techo music (weird combination, huh ?), food (I'm not fat, just big boned. LOL) and technology !

"Intro" :

I have a black 16GB iPhone 5 purchased from Orange Romania (my carrier). Actually, now I'm using a refurbished iPhone 5 (perfect condition) wich my carrier gave me because a couple of weeks ago my lock button failed on the first iPhone.
I bought the first iPhone 5 on 2 November (Launch day in Romania) and it was in perfect condition - no scuffs, scratches etc. (just like the refurbished one I got a couple of weeks ago).
I paid for it 349$ with a 2 year contract (39$ per month / unlimited internet, 2000 minutes, 2000 texts messages).
I don't have any cases or screen protectors, I like my phone to be naked. I really dont care about scratches or scuffs or anything ; I just want the damn thing to work.

iOS, jailbreak, hacks, tweaks :

My iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1.2) is jailbroken - I am a huge fan of jailbreaking.
I am not a huge fan of themes nor UI customization, I like simple yet usefull tweaks.
My tweaks are :

Activator
ColoredKnob
Bolt
f.lux
Flashorama
FullForce
IconRenamer
iFile
FakeClockUp
Fix Brightness for 6.x
f.lux
MuteIcon
NCSettings
SimpleDate in NC (or smth like that)
Safari Download Manager
Springtomize
StatusBarCustomClock4
SubtleLcok
RespringCacheFix
Torch
Topography for Google Maps
Webscrollian
Zephyr
OpenSSH
3G Unrestricor

*the phone is still fast (damn the A6 is so powerful) but the battery life is *****.

As I was saying, not a huge fan of UI customization. I always had the default wallpaper, default NC background - pretty much everything is default except the Lockscreen and the Icons Layout.
(For the LS I'm using Subtle Lock and ColoredKnob - at the moment, CK is off)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

App Store Apps & Games :

This is a BIG one !
I like to play games on this device ! The A6 is so fast and the 4" Retina display is awesome.
The games I'm playing right now :

attachment.php

Max Payne / GTA Vice City / Carmageddon / Need for Seed Most Wanted / Rayman Jungle Run / Sonic Dash / Jetpack / Canabalt / Filedrunners 2 / Scramble / Letterpress / Blackjack.

**(a couple of days ago Real Racing 3 stopped saving progress so I deleted it. WTF ? I liked that game)

Add me on Game Center : .hamilton

Besides gaming, I love the Apps on iOS.

So, here it goes :
*random order

Utilities :
DropBox / Converter / Bump / XE Currency / JotNot / Measures / Mailbox / Mountainbike / Google Maps / Airport Utility / Find my iPhone / iTeleport / File Manager.

Social :
WhatsApp / Facebook / Facebook Messenger / IMDb / Cinemagia (Romanian version of IMDb) / Pulse / Google+ / 9Gag / Foursquare / Skype / Instagram / Tapatalk 2.

Photography :
iPhoto / Camera+ / Snapseed / TimeLapse / Ditipic / Phoster.

Multimedia :
YouTube / Tune IN Pro / CineXPlayer / Shazam / SoundHound / SoundCloud / TVRO Express (Romanian Internet TV).

The End :

So this me and this is my iPhone. I hope you liked it !
If you are kind enough, you can tell us a little bit about you and your iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.PNG
    IMG_0742.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,471
  • IMG_0743.PNG
    IMG_0743.PNG
    783 KB · Views: 4,116
  • IMG_0745.PNG
    IMG_0745.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,451
  • IMG_0746.PNG
    IMG_0746.PNG
    969.5 KB · Views: 3,424
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Me, 42, Phoenix, Arizona. Wife, two kids (boy 9 and girl 4). I work for a newspaper (weekly).

My iPhone: iPhone 5, 64GB (black), Sprint, unlimited data. My iPhone is jailbroken and I have a long list of tweaks, some I've bought and uninstalled.

My lockscreen and one of my homescreens. I don't like icons covering up my wallpaper so I usually only have 5 per screen (5 column springboard, 5 column dock) and I tend to group them by commonality. I.e, this homescreen is time, date and weather. I have an unlimited number of homescreens (per a tweak) so this makes it pretty easy.

Attachments

• 2013-04-03 14.22.53.png
    2013-04-03 14.22.53.png
    812.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 2013-04-03 14.22.41.png
    2013-04-03 14.22.41.png
    915.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 484341_617364431613913_350753426_n.jpg
    484341_617364431613913_350753426_n.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 132

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
My iPhone: iPhone 5, 64GB (black), Sprint, unlimited data. My iPhone is jailbroken and I have a long list of tweaks, some I've bought and uninstalled.

My lockscreen and one of my homescreens. I don't like icons covering up my wallpaper so I usually only have 5 per screen (5 column springboard, 5 column dock) and I tend to group them by commonality. I.e, this homescreen is time, date and weather. I have an unlimited number of homescreens (per a tweak) so this makes it pretty easy.

Nice !
How is your battery life with those live wallpapers ?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Battery life is just fine. Time of use is usually from 5:30am to about 11pm at which time I usually have anywhere from 0 to 40% battery life left.

Monday was a good day. I went to bed with about 65% of battery. I plug my phone in at night because I use it as a nightstand alarm clock.

The live wallpaper is only live when the screen is on, which is only when it's being used and only when the homescreen or lockscreen are involved. It also has a habit (It's Nexus, for LivePapers by the way) of stopping after about a minute or so. Touch the screen and it starts again. Don't know whether that's a bug or not, or just the way it's designed.

Of course, battery life is relative. I come from a Windows Mobile background so to me this is good battery life. To other people who plug in once every day and a half or every two days this probably sucks.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Battery life is just fine. Time of use is usually from 5:30am to about 11pm at which time I usually have anywhere from 0 to 40% battery life left.

Monday was a good day. I went to bed with about 65% of battery. I plug my phone in at night because I use it as a nightstand alarm clock.

The live wallpaper is only live when the screen is on, which is only when it's being used and only when the homescreen or lockscreen are involved. It also has a habit (It's Nexus, for LivePapers by the way) of stopping after about a minute or so. Touch the screen and it starts again. Don't know whether that's a bug or not, or just the way it's designed.

Of course, battery life is relative. I come from a Windows Mobile background so to me this is good battery life. To other people who plug in once every day and a half or every two days this probably sucks.

I see. :)
What tweak do you use for showing the icons of an app in the status bar that has a notification ? Notifier+ or smth like that ?

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I find it refreshing seeing someone starting a thread like this and talking a little about himself and not only about the iPhone.

Like your UI although not a big fan of jailbreaking. Kudos :)

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
really amazing post. Good work on your iphone. Like the other poster I am not a fan of jail breaking. However kept mines as it was out of the box. However nice story.

Oh and say happy birthday to your friend.

jakeyo

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
I have pretty much installed all of your tweaks, because I want it to look like yours.

I like the look of the lockscreen, I have the top all set up, but where it says slide to unlock the gray surrounding it is longer, and the camera icon doesn't look aligned up, just wondering what you did as yours looks shorter and better.

definitely love FakeClockUp!

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I find it refreshing seeing someone starting a thread like this and talking a little about himself and not only about the iPhone.

Like your UI although not a big fan of jailbreaking. Kudos :)

Glad you like it !

really amazing post. Good work on your iphone.

Thank you guys ! :)

----------

I have pretty much installed all of your tweaks, because I want it to look like yours.

:D thanks !

I like the look of the lockscreen, I have the top all set up, but where it says slide to unlock the gray surrounding it is longer, and the camera icon doesn't look aligned up

Please post a screenshot so I can help you !

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
My iPhone

Hey guys and gals I just wanted to show some pics of ny iPhone and theme and thought if anyone else would like to as well here is s place for it :) let me know what you think

HOOAH!!!!
ga7e8u9y.jpg

ete6amug.jpg

u4y3y3yh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I see many iPhone users moving the icons out of the way so the front screen/photo can be seen while leaving a few at the top or bottom. I suggest putting apps in folders so your home screen looks like this: otherwise it looks very cluttered and sloppy. All of my other apps are on the next screen to the right in folders like the one on my dock. Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 115

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
i see many iphone users moving the icons out of the way so the front screen/photo can be seen while leaving a few at the top or bottom. I suggest putting apps in folders so your home screen looks like this: Otherwise it looks very cluttered and sloppy. All of my other apps are on the next screen to the right in folders like the one on my dock. Just thought i'd share.

awesome!!!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I see many iPhone users moving the icons out of the way so the front screen/photo can be seen while leaving a few at the top or bottom. I suggest putting apps in folders so your home screen looks like this: otherwise it looks very cluttered and sloppy. All of my other apps are on the next screen to the right in folders like the one on my dock. Just thought I'd share.
I wouldn't say sloppy, but I will agree to cluttered. Even when my iPhone is stock I move icons out of the way. I have a max of 5 icons per screen and one screen that is completely clear except for the folder in my dock.

I like to see my wallpaper. For me, what's the point of choosing wallpaper if you cover it up. Others like to see their icons on their screen - that's cool, just not me.

----------

Idk why would I take the beautiful icons that the developer made and leave it in a folder lol
Because the beautiful icons can get it the way of your beautiful wallpaper. Unless you are saying that the icons are more beautiful than the wallpaper?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Thanks to hamiltonDSi for starting this thread. I truly enjoyed your story and the good work you've done to create a very nice looking iPhone. My compliments.

To everyone that posted pictures of your phones, thanks to you too. Now I have some new ideas to try on my rather plain iPhone 5 :)

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
Ok... Very true but I'm kind of a simplistic guy so my backgrounds don't usually have to much beauty to them. Except an Apple logo maybe.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
So, I have some updates :

1) New tweaks :
- Auxo
- Nitrous
- LLBPano (Low light panorama)
- Blue Panorama Button

2) New apps :
- Google Chrome (still using Safari but I like to have a back-up in case some sites don't work properly on Safari)
- Jasmine

Yesterday I wen't to Orange Romania (my carrier) to give me an LTE-compatible SIM Card. LTE is going to be available in my area soon ! :cool:
Also, a couple of days ago I dropped my iPhone on tile and it has some nasty scuffs :D

Attachments

• IMG_0270.png
    IMG_0270.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
I got my first iPhone, the iPhone 5 last November. I moved from Note 2 so it was quite difficult in getting used to the screen size, but after a week I got adapted to it.

I have not jailbroken my iPhone. I like the fact that while the iPhone is not a quad core beast like GS3 or Note 2, it feels much more fluid and yields similar or better battery runtimes most of the time.

I hate the fact that there is no USB or MTP mode for transferring data from computer to iPhone. Other than that, I love it.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Me, 42, Phoenix, Arizona. Wife, two kids (boy 9 and girl 4). I work for a newspaper (weekly).

Who's the Fox?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Who's the Fox?
LOL!

Her name is Audrey Meadows. Born, Feb 8, 1922, died Feb. 8, 1996. Sister of Jane Meadows (actress, still alive by the way and in her 90s) and sister-in-law of Steve Allen (comedian).

Audrey is otherwise known as Alice Kramden of Honeymooners fame. ;)

BTW, here's an updated screenshot of one of my homescreens. Things have changed since. Same actress in the wallpaper though.

Attachments

• 2013-04-09 23.23.55.png
    2013-04-09 23.23.55.png
    690.2 KB · Views: 79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.