Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
Which one is the better buy

Sapphire 7950

or

EVGA 680GTX

I'm glad that I didn't rush out and buy the 7950 but I still want to wait a bit more and see what Apple will come out with, How do you guys feel about the two cards, and if your going to buy a card today which one will you choose?

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
No Mini DisplayPort??? :eek:

Well, the EVGA spec sheet says the card ships with a displayport to minidisplayport adaptor, so perhaps it'll drive an apple cinema display...

----------

Which one is the better buy

Sapphire 7950

or

EVGA 680GTX

I'm glad that I didn't rush out and buy the 7950 but I still want to wait a bit more and see what Apple will come out with, How do you guys feel about the two cards, and if your going to buy a card today which one will you choose?

my vote goes for the EVGA as it supports 4 concurrent displays and the Sapphire only supports 2. I run 3 on my system and right now I use a Diamond displaylink USB adaptor to drive one display but it isn't ideal...

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
What's with all the recent Mac-compatible GPUs? This makes me quite happy.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
The sincere lack of technological knowledge here astounds me but also reminds me that Apple is not just a computer company, but more peripheral.

Thessman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2005
GR
The sincere lack of technological knowledge here astounds me but also reminds me that Apple is not just a computer company, but more peripheral.

Please, do enlighten us. That is what we are here for anyway!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It's the same on the Windows side for the 680.

Edit:
Okay, it seems there's both 2 GB and 4 GB versions of the 680 card for PC.

"5. OpenGL 3.2 (4.3 in Windows) Support - Support for the most widely-used open graphics standard in the world."

This is quite sad. OS X 10.9 maybe?

It IS sad given the total lack of support of most games for OpenGL in Windows and YET Windows still has better OpenGL support than the Mac does when it's the Mac's primary 3D system. There is simply NO EXCUSE for Apple, IMO. They're so busy making iPads they don't (and really never have for a LONG time) given a crap about modern computer standards. Behind on USB 3, behind on OpenGL, behind on the Mac Pro PERIOD.... awful, just AWFUL computer support anymore.

djacopille

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
Apple...so sad

It doesn't take years to put a motherboard in a box - no matter how nicely you CNC mill the box.

Apple gave up years ago by not putting enough people on the Mac Pro to actually deliver anything. Ever.

Apple needs to make giving up official. People will move on to PCs and everyone will be better for it.

Even Apple.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
another money grab attempt by a third party hardware manufacturer

A business trying to make money on a niche product that might sell a few thousand units?
Who do they think they are? They should be ashamed of themselves.
Money grubbing bastiges. I suppose they want hundreds of billions in offshore bank accounts, too.

Last edited:

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

Thank goodness your here to wow us with your superior technological knowledge! Please help us Sy7ygy!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
What's with all the recent Mac-compatible GPUs? This makes me quite happy.

They need them for the new Mac Pros.

----------

It doesn't take years to put a motherboard in a box - no matter how nicely you CNC mill the box.

Apple gave up years ago by not putting enough people on the Mac Pro to actually deliver anything. Ever.

Apple needs to make giving up official. People will move on to PCs and everyone will be better for it.

Even Apple.

Use what you like and get a PC if you want / need one. Likewise, let other people get what they want and don't assume it's a PC.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The 680 is clearly faster but it just costs so much more than the already expensive 7950. I have to say im not regretting my purchase of the ati card.

Setmose

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Jerusalem, Israel
!! Barefeats

So for running games in bootcamp which has more power the new AMD card with 3gb ram or this nVidia card with 2. I'm sure they have different clock speeds despite the difference in ram but which is better and does the 1gb of ram make much of a difference?

Just keep tracking Barefeats. You'll have all the decision graphs you need in short order. :apple:

----------

Even Apple.

Nobody cares what you think.

----------

2-cents:

I've always felt that ATI/AMD has placed better attention-to-detail in the areas of DVD / BluRay playback than Nvidia. HDMI support for example. It's not a gaming issue, but still something to think about when plunking down major cash for one of these bricks. :apple:

Setmose

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Jerusalem, Israel
!! EVGA Warranty -- Impressive

From EVGA Press Release:

Known for offering value and performance, as well as exemplary customer service, EVGA is recognised through customer loyalty and the highest levels in customer satisfaction. In addition to the expanded product lines, consumers and channel partners will also benefit from increased sales and technical support programmes:
1. Global Warranty – No registration required, 3 Year Standard warranty with upgraded warranties available. Find out about our latest updates this month that will better serve our community (introduced in response to your feedback) at: eu.evga.com/articles/00735/
2. EVGA proprietary Advanced RMA (EAR) service – to enable customers to receive a replacement card before sending the defective product back to EVGA.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Nobody cares what you think.

Gee, you must be a mind-reader to know that NOBODY cares. :rolleyes:

I happen to agree with his comment for the most part. Apple has shown zero interest in the Mac Pro for many years now. Continuing to sell what for the price is basically a total outdated POS (worth less than half of what it sells for as if it's just as valuable as when that model first came out and containing exactly NONE of the recent updates Apple has provided for ALL other models. I mean come on, how hard would have been for them to just add USB 3 support even? It's supposed to be their most powerful computer and it's over 4 years out of date now. They didn't listen to what most of their true pro customers wanted the last time they did update even. Apple is beyond ignoring the Mac Pro. They're actually showing CONTEMPT for it, IMO. Either start doing that model right or announce it's been abandoned along with most of the pro market.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Requires 10.8.3 if you rely on internal drivers. Can we run it on prior OS versions with a download of the driver?

With as much as Apple has screwed up the OS since Snow Leopard, not likely.

:apple:

----------

Gee, you must be a mind-reader to know that NOBODY cares. :rolleyes:

I happen to agree with his comment for the most part.... ....Either start doing that model right or announce it's been abandoned along with most of the pro market.

That ship sailed a VERY long time ago...

:apple:

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
It's actually called 'the freemarket' given that capitalism merely that the means of production are in private ownership - you can have a regulated but capitalist economy.
I'm pretty sure that's two words, and there's really no such thing as the "Free Market", certainly not in this country.

But if Karl Marx comes up with a good video card with OSX drivers I'll buy it.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I hope so.
I will be testing it in X-Plane 10 as the my current 5870 has serious performance issues with it.

Also, the Radeon has mini-DisplayPort built-in which the GeForce has not.

I'm also wondering if my Mac Pro 2008 will be CPU bound instead of GPU bound once the 7950 is inside it.
I hope there will be some comparison tests with the GeForce in older Mac Pro's.

Still, it's gr8 we now have options!!! :cool:

Let me know how it goes. I have a radeon 4870 512mb in my MP 3,1 so wanting to upgrade too. Xplane for now works ok.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
10.8.5 bootcamp evga 680 mac

Can anyone confirm they have a GTX 680 MAC edition working with BOOTCAMP, I get a blackscreen/crash during BOOTCAMP setup. Everytime. Wondering if people have a secret to get it to work, of if they know for certain it works.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.