Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today rolled out a few minor tweaks to its online store (via Mac Otakara), making it easier to navigate the store on touchscreen devices such as the iPhone and iPad.

One change involves a new sliding navigation bar for product categories. From the main store page, once users select one of the four main shopping categories (Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod), the navigation bar at the top of category page showing various products and other topics within that category can now be slid back and forth with the touch of a finger. Users on non-touch devices can slide the bar by clicking on arrows at each end.

apple_online_store_nav_bar.jpg
A second change involves product search results, which had previously been presented as lists of items. Results are now presented in a grid formatted to allow easy tapping on touch-enabled devices. Users on non-touch devices will also see arrows appearing on either side of each product image allowing them to view all associated product images without having to click through to the product pages.

apple_online_store_search_result_grid.jpg
Apple's change should notably improve the user experience on the iPad, where the large screen can take full advantage of the grid-based search results and where Apple does not have a dedicated app for shopping the store. The company's Apple Store app has been iPhone-only since its July 2010 launch, with Apple believed to be refraining from making it a universal app with a native iPad interface under the view that the iPad allows for a full web experience.

Article Link: Apple Updates Online Store With Touch-Friendly Navigation and Search Result Tweaks

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I wonder if in this new look for the Apple Store we may get a hint as to the direction/look of the upcoming ios7

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I heard a rumor that the search results now downgrade all hits from Google

But I'm sure it's just a minor server error and will be fixed tomorrow

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
some people...

do you really find that a touch enabled desktop computer is actually comfortable to use?

hasn't HP already made such products and failed miserably?

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Apple : one iteration at a time. They immediately make the site retina ready when the ipad 3 launched, but the touch friendly site just now. Thats silly

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
while this seems fine

still no mac pros. However I would really welcome large touch screen mac monitors. It would make using the software I use a lot more convenient. The laptop with wireless monitor would be nice too.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
some people...

do you really find that a touch enabled desktop computer is actually comfortable to use?

hasn't HP already made such products and failed miserably?

With that attitude the the iPad would have never have come into existence, given the disaster of Windows Tablets. Implementation is everything and just b/c HP doesn't do a good job doesn't mean Apple can't design something that is intuitive and improving upon people's current work flow.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I heard a rumor that the search results now downgrade all hits from Google

But I'm sure it's just a minor server error and will be fixed tomorrow

I was wondering how long it would take before someone would make a reference to Android, Samsung or Google on a totally unrelated article.

Post 7 was the winner :rolleyes:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
With that attitude the the iPad would have never have come into existence, given the disaster of Windows Tablets. Implementation is everything and just b/c HP doesn't do a good job doesn't mean Apple can't design something that is intuitive and improving upon people's current work flow.

I used to be firmly anti touch screen desktop but I am starting to re-think my position. Clearly, touching a screen all day long would be awful, but having the option to do some things by touch would be cool. I already use the track pad and have come to rely heavily on the gestures that are available.

I'm still worried about fingerprints as I am OCDish about my screen, but I'm willing to wait and see how Apple implements this kind of ability, assuming that they ever do.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Nice change for iOS users. I hope this isn't a start down the path to touch desktops. I wouldn't think it would be but since Apple has often tossed out the "Post PC Era" phrase a few times, anything can happen.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Can I check the inventory of my local Apple Store yet?

Edit: I discovered you can check the availability of your product for any store. (But I think this has always been there :eek:)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.