Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I personally go towards the MAS...

+ I fear the day Steam goes under, with its crapy DRMs.
+ It's easier to install on multiple machine with the MAS, or run it from multiple accounts.
+ In my region MAS is cheaper than Steam.

- Multiplayer incompatibilities are so 90s, still Steam would offer more players.
- While Steamplay is a good feature, I haven't run Windows on any of my machines in a very long time.

OK, point 1, Steam might die, but ill still be able to play my game in offline mode, forever.

Point 2, steam is MUCH easier to install on multiple systems, you try installing your MAS store copy on a PC :D

Point 3, Fair play, if its cheaper, and by Cheaper i mean half the price or better then the saving outweighs the benefits of buying on steam

Point 4, i think the only thing stopping the Mac and PC versions of Boarderlands 2 from playing nice is that they both have to have the same DLC installed, and the DLC for the MAC is lagging a few months behind the PC version, so you can cross platform play as long as your PC buddies don't upgrade to the latest and greatest versions until you get your Mac upgrades.

Point 5, id love to ditch windows, but my 2TB Steam library kind of needs me to run windows, that and my love of not waiting months for games that's out now to be ported to the Mac and sold to me at +10%or more the cost the PC version is selling.

Steam all the time

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Point 2, steam is MUCH easier to install on multiple systems, you try installing your MAS store copy on a PC :D

Well, excluding PCs from the equation of course....;):p Though one advantage of MAS installs on multiple machines is that you can actually play each copy simultaneously, unlike Steam. That's pretty convenient for family sharing.

Point 3, Fair play, if its cheaper, and by Cheaper i mean half the price or better then the saving outweighs the benefits of buying on steam

And I even get iTunes content for even cheaper by getting iTunes gift cards for 20% off at Best Buy (or Walmart), then using both my rewards credit card and my Reward Zone membership together, and then on top of that, I then use my Bank of America's Add it Up Rewards program when buying on iTunes. All together, I always get up to 30% on all iTunes/App Store/iBook store/Mac App store stuff :D

Point 4, i think the only thing stopping the Mac and PC versions of Boarderlands 2 from playing nice is that they both have to have the same DLC installed, and the DLC for the MAC is lagging a few months behind the PC version, so you can cross platform play as long as your PC buddies don't upgrade to the latest and greatest versions until you get your Mac upgrades.

From what I read from Aspyr's updates, the Mac (Steam) version and the PC version were only out of sync for a couple of days this week?

Point 5, id love to ditch windows, but my 2TB Steam library kind of needs me to run windows, that and my love of not waiting months for games that's out now to be ported to the Mac and sold to me at +10%or more the cost the PC version is selling.

I am already well on that path to an OS X centric existence myself, and would love to be 100% OS X. But sadly of course, I doubt I'll ever have a chance to ditch my Windows partition entirely for the very same reason you stated. However, I've conditioned myself to be patient to wait for titles to be ported to Mac. Both Feral and Aspyr are doing an excellent job of porting titles faster than ever before. Borderlands 2, Lego Lord of the Rings, and Bioshock 3 have all been released (will be, in case of BioShock) within 3 months of their Windows counterpart. And Blizzard remains as the top big budget Mac developer with day 1 Mac releases. In reality though, whether one buys on Steam, MAS Game Agent, etc., this truly is the best time to be a gamer on the Mac.

As for the 10% higher mark up. Again, for me, all my purchases are actually comparable to Steam prices, if not lower when I stack up my deals. So I'm pretty content :D

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Hey, you might want to check this out. Aspyr just tweeted a support documentation about your lost save files...

http://support.aspyr.com/entries/23533756-Borderlands-2-AppStore-Help-my-saved-games-are-GONE-

Looks like those hours weren't in vein after all :D

Yes, the save games aren't lost! If you have updated in the Mac App Store to 1.3.2, please see that support article. It's an easy work-around.

Our update build is placing save data in the wrong place. We are submitting a new build that will fix it, but the above article will get you going immediately.

We are so sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for all the support guys. :apple:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
The Steam version of Borderlands 2 with Season Pass is $24.99 today only at Amazon.

Yes, and even though Amazon's site says Windows (and even have a separate listing for Mac Download), the key will work in Steam for the Mac version. Most people already realize that, but just in case anyone was wondering.

Stagesmith

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
Renton, WA
BL2: mac app versus steam

I only recently found out that the SHIFT codes don't work with the latest Mac APP version of BL2. I have already done 2 playthroughs and have a level 50 commando. I am now chewing through the DLCs, but since I took so long to get through the game all my bosses are levels 52,53, and 54.

If I buy the Steam version of BL2 is there a way to import my character from the App version?

I also just saw they have the expansion pac for BL2 that takes it to Level 61. It is not compatible with the Mac App version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.