Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigedmonds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
I am using mac mail 6.3.

I have a mail account and on the mail server, I have email rules which drop the mails into subfolders so that its all automatically sorted nicely for me when I connect with imap and collect them.

However, when I am checking the mail with imap, all the mails are marked as unread and I need to mark them all as read.

Is there a rule in mac mail that I can apply which says something like...

"mark all incoming mail for X email account as read".

Currently it only works for inbox and as I have everything going to subfolders already, its not marking anything as read.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have played around with Rules before and the limitation has always been that they process as things come in to the Inbox. So what you are trying to do won't work.

Can't you just run the rules locally in Mail app instead of the server. That would do what you want. It would only work in OS X Mail of course, and not help you if you are trying to accomplish this on iOS Mail.

craigedmonds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
My email is with rackspace mail and I already yesterday sent them a request to allow the mail filtering to mark messages as read in addition to assigning them to sub folders based on rules.

I was hoping there was some trick inside mac mail.

:)

craigedmonds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
You are going against most everyone who wants to see when they have new email.

Yeah I know!!

The reason for it is though is that one of the imap accounts is used for receiving important server logs from a variety (15+) of servers that I run.

I have created subfolders within the imap account like this:

/server1
/server2
/server3
etc.

Then on the mail server side of things (at rackspace mail) I have made a rule which says "if a mail comes from server1 then put it into the /server1 folder. (The reason I have done it like that is so that I dont have to keep macmail running all the time)

However on the mail server I dont have the ability to mark it as read so was going to rely on macmail's rules to do it for me.

The reason for this is that the macmail icon in the dock says I have 4,563 unread mails when 4,560 of them are from the server log account so i need to go into macmail and manually select each folder and then mark them as read.

----------

Dock Star or something like that.

Just installed dockstar and that has helped me as I can configure the little icon that appears on macmail dock icon to only show flagged messages in certain inboxes.

So thanks for that recommendation. Very helpful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.