Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, a number of Apple-focused bloggers claimed iOS 7 was running behind schedule and that it would bring a significant user interface refresh.

Designer F. Bianco has posted a set of images to Flickr with some interesting thoughts on what useful changes Apple could make to iOS 7 to improve the user experience. Apple's user interfaces will likely face new scrutiny now that Facebook has laid out a new vision for how phone users interact with their devices with Facebook Home.

conceptimages.jpg
One of the more interesting concepts that Bianco shows is a 'widget' mode for apps that allows users to see quick information or change app settings straight from the home screen, as well as a quickly accessible settings screen that can slide out from the side to quickly adjust settings.

Turning Bluetooth on and off, for example, takes four distinct steps and the process could be much improved with a quickly accessible preferences screen.

Article Link: iOS 7 Concept Features Widgets, New Lock Screen, Mission Control and More

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Turning Bluetooth on and off, for example, takes four distinct steps and the process could be much improved with a quickly accessible preferences screen.

I never understood the additional steps compared to turning on/off flight mode to be honest.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I'm pretty content with the usability of iOS 6... That's just me though. The widgets are cool, but double tapping is an odd gesture.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Some of the ideas are good but the widgets concept is about as dumb as it is on Android. Why not just open the app and get the full deal rather than the limited info that comes with widgets? The apps on iOS open blazing fast. It's not like opening Photoshop or something on a slow spinning hard disk.

Heck, I never use widgets even on my old slow Mac. And Apple has had widgets on Mac since forever it seems. I'm pretty sure they know full well whether people on average find them useful or not. My guess is not really.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I never understood the additional steps compared to turning on/off flight mode to be honest.

I'd venture to guess that it's because unlike Flight Mode, Bluetooth has additional options like pairing and selecting devices, etc. Its not as simple as on/off. While they could have a menu option for on/off and then the other options in a submenu below it, this is Apple. They want to keep things as clean as possible and having Bluetooth take up 2 spaces in the Settings wouldn't work with that.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Yay screen sh--- oh wait, no just a cool concept video created by someone with no relation to Apple that will never see the light of day. *sigh*

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
I quite fancy some visual tweaks. Nothing major, but I'm a bit tired of all the shiny glass, but maybe that's just me. Nice video

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
"Apple's user interfaces will likely face new scrutiny now that Facebook has laid out a new vision for how phone users interact with their devices with Facebook Home."

Facebook home is nothing but hype. Doesn't look appealing to me or anyone I've talked to. The last thing I want is a constant facebook stream of pictures of other people's babies and whiny and/or self-promoting status updates flooding my phone (which is all facebook has become as I've gotten older). Just look at the facebook demographics, its users are aging and young people aren't adopting it. People who tend to use Facebook the most are also on the lower end of the economic scale. Facebook is on its way out.

iOS really does need an interface update though.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Can we add another column in next generation of iPhone and make it wider?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
These are all nice improvements, but I don't think it's the extreme design change apple is looking to make in iOS 7

I agreed.
They at Apple will go further to simplify things IMO. While some of this guy suggestions are good, the overall look still much like the old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.