Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_white.jpg
In line with a report from earlier this week, TmoNews reports that T-Mobile USA has begun rolling out software updates for existing customers running unlocked iPhones on its network.

As the carrier notes in its support forum, the update enables a number of features, including LTE support where available, ahead of the official launch of new iPhone 5 sales for the carrier next week.
Enables the following:

- Visual Voicemail
- 4G network indicator
- Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)
- AWS LTE (T-Mobile and officially unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 only)
- HD Voice (T-Mobile and officially unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 only)
- AWS HSPA+ (T-Mobile and new 2013 AT&T iPhone 5 only)

Auto configures:

- MMS Settings
- Personal Hotspot Settings (Smartphone Mobile Hotspot)
- APN settings for LTE connectivity
- My Account bookmark
Earlier today, T-Mobile began taking pre-orders for iPhone 5 customers, with the official launch set for next Friday, April 12.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Rolling Out Software Update for Existing Unlocked iPhone Customers

ahoover

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
No OTA updates yet in Los Angeles for a iPhone 4S Factory Unlocked. Still shows 6.1.3.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
If I'm not mistaken this is a carrier update. No need to update your iOS version.
At least I'm assuming it is, since I've received multiple AT&T carrier updates in the past. But this excites me because since I switched to T-Mobile I've been hoping to not have to configure my MMS settings :D

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
For Carrier updates, you need to go to Settings - General - About. That will trigger the carrier update. Of course you'll need to have your T-Mobiles SIM inserted in the iPhone.

ahoover

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
Still no update... iPhone 4S, Factory Unlocked Model MD257LL/A, Version 6.1.3 (10B329), Carrier 14.0. Went to Settings > General > Software Update. Results still show "iOS 6.1.3 Your software is up to date." Also went to
Settings > General > About.

No Joy...

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Still no update... iPhone 4S, Factory Unlocked Model MD257LL/A, Version 6.1.3 (10B329), Carrier 14.0. Went to Settings > Software Update. Results still show "iOS 6.1.3 Your software is up to date."

No Joy...

Believe it was only for the 5. I could be wrong though.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm at work and my Tmo coverage jumps between Tmo and ATT roaming. Will I still see the carrier update, or will I have to be in full Tmo coverage to get it?

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
As someone else said, it's a carrier update. Either connect to iTunes, or it could pick it up OTA eventually if you have your T-Mobile SIM card in.

As for the guy asking about WIND/Mobilicity.. This is a carrier settings update. This has nothing to do with those two networks.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
I noticed it auto configures personal hotspot settings, which is probably a nice way of saying it restricts them unless you buy a plan with that feature. Right now, I get poor network quality but free tethering with my t-mobile SIM. If I install the carrier update, I'll have better network quality but no tethering (unless I pay more).

I'll almost certainly install the update because my network connection to T-mobile's network is terrible to the point of unusable 75% of the time, but wanted others to be aware.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
But note under Tmo's support form, under Prerequisites, it says "Device software is not jailbroken"

It never interfered with it before, the only thing i could see is if you have something installed that would conflict with it which i don't think is very likely if at all.

rafkong

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
I'm confused. I thought that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not work on Tmobile's LTE. Apple even said so by stating that a software update could not enable it and that the Tmobile iphone 5 will replace all current Gsm models.

Can anyone knowledgeable comment on this?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.