Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Return It?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No, thats normal. Keep it

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
hey guys i can see red,green,blue pixels dancing around the entire screen about 1-2 feet away. as i step back its all gone. Question is. Is this normal? should i be worried? should i return? does it affect PQ at all? thanks

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
hey guys i can see red,green,blue pixels dancing around the entire screen about 1-2 feet away. as i step back its all gone. Question is. Is this normal? should i be worried? should i return? does it affect PQ at all? thanks

You've done enough research to know what the feature is referred to as, so I think you know also that it's normal for plasmas to exhibit it.

My best-in-class Pioneer KURO from 2008 exhibits dithering, if you stand a foot and a half away from it.

My solution? Don't stand that close to it. Sit the normal distance away, and be stunned by the image it produces, AS it was meant to be viewed.

What you're doing is the equivalent of mounting an LCD or LED TV on the wall, lying on your back on the floor and looking up to watch it, and complaining that the off-angle viewing is ******.

Of course it would be! You're not supposed to watch it that way.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
As far as I know all plasmas do this. Mine does too (LG 50PA5500)

It's only noticeable when viewed from close distance, maybe up to a meter. My couch is about 4-5 meters from the set so I hardly notice it during normal use.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
As far as I know all plasmas do this. Mine does too (LG 50PA5500)

It's only noticeable when viewed from close distance, maybe up to a meter. My couch is about 4-5 meters from the set so I hardly notice it during normal use.

this is my first plasma, so i dont have another one to compare. does this affect PQ?

growlf

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2004
You've done enough research to know what the feature is referred to as, so I think you know also that it's normal for plasmas to exhibit it.

Research? To come up with the word dithering?

Perhaps he used the word "dithering" because it IS dithering.

I've always wondered if it was common to all plasma, or just my BEST IN CLASS of 2010 plasma. I never cared enough to do research, but I sure as heck would have started with a search for the word dithering, because I know what the word means.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
this is my first plasma, so i dont have another one to compare. does this affect PQ?

No, not noticable anyway. I'm actually watching tv in 1080p right now from about 4 meters on my 50 inch plasma and the pq is still amazing. I am so happy I went with plasma and not with LED :D

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Research? To come up with the word dithering?

Perhaps he used the word "dithering" because it IS dithering.

I've always wondered if it was common to all plasma, or just my BEST IN CLASS of 2010 plasma. I never cared enough to do research, but I sure as heck would have started with a search for the word dithering, because I know what the word means.

You and I are the exception. The definition of the word "dithering" is not self-evident. You have to read and research display panels online or with videophile friends in order to learn that the word describes the "swimming" or "buzzing pixels" effect.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
You and I are the exception. The definition of the word "dithering" is not self-evident. You have to read and research display panels online or with videophile friends in order to learn that the word describes the "swimming" or "buzzing pixels" effect.

i have done my research, it guess not good enough. when i look up Plasma dithering, all i see is people saying how their plasmas display black and gray buzzing pixels. Nothing like mine, could be the same. Again this is my first plasma so i did not know i was expecting this, i knew about buzzing but not dithering. Oh well i learned something new.

Macintosh-HD

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Knoxville, TN
^ If it's your first plasma, then your probably paranoid about "burn in" too like when watching movies with the black bars on top/bottom. Don't worry, I still am a bit paranoid too :rolleyes: .

And yes, dancing pixels are normal for all plasmas if viewed up close.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
don't worry about burn in, it's hardly a problem anymore on modern plasmas. I play loads of video games with static images and so far there's no burn in that I can tell:D

image retention is far more likely to occur but that can easily be washed away by just watching a bit of tv

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
^ If it's your first plasma, then your probably paranoid about "burn in" too like when watching movies with the black bars on top/bottom. Don't worry, I still am a bit paranoid too :rolleyes: .

And yes, dancing pixels are normal for all plasmas if viewed up close.

my GT50 has no Burn-IN what so ever! so im pretty happy about that :)

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

Take it back and get a new TV. A new TV should have a perfect looking picture when you first plug it in and watch a movie. You should not have to mess with the settings or see any issues with the picture at all. Plasma or not, it should just work. If you even suspect any picture quality issues, take it back and swap out for another. Period.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Take it back and get a new TV. A new TV should have a perfect looking picture when you first plug it in and watch a movie. You should not have to mess with the settings or see any issues with the picture at all. Plasma or not, it should just work. If you even suspect any picture quality issues, take it back and swap out for another. Period.

I assume either you do not own a plasma OR you are being sarcastic....

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008

Uh, What? Tv manufacturer's turn most of the settings up or close to the max so you notice them in store under the bright lights. When you purchase a TV it is very common to have it calibrated for the room it will be in or to adjust the settings for a darker room that isn't lit up like the show room. Usually when the sharpness is turned up to much is when it is most noticeable.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I assume either you do not own a plasma OR you are being sarcastic....

I have a Panasonic 65VT30. No, I am not being sarcastic. Yes, the TV should look good by default when you plug it into your house. No, the VIVID mode is not on by default. My plasma was in THX mode by default and looked excellent out of the box. Yes, sure, I could get it pro calibrated, but I am happy with the picture.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Good info to know. I've noticed it on my TV, but like others, I could only see it from 1-2 feet away.

Anyway, I'm too busy enjoying watching stuff to worry about it.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
my GT50 has no Burn-IN what so ever! so im pretty happy about that :)

Hey whats up man! Plasmas are awesome. One word of advice if you do not plan on getting it calibrated is to check out the avs forum. A lot of people who have experience with optimizing picture quality share some basic settings that make a world of difference with a few adjustment settings. Definitely worth checking out.

Here is the GT50 series discussion thread to get you started
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.