Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hi all, thanks in advance for your advice.

1) Could anyone please explain how Apple TV connects to Net? Apple site references wi-fi. What if we don't have wi-fi? Can we connect Apple TV to net with wired cable connection?

2) Does anyone know a link to a downloaded Apple TV manual? I'd like to read up on how you do certain things? Will make me a better question asker too.

Appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Not a whole lot of things to know. It's a box with widgets that "get" contents from service providers.

Still P.O.ed why %&^# interface won't automatically scroll to the next row when at the right end. Is that so hard? And why are there no "Apps" like for IOS? Grrrrrrrr.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Here's a four page review I found helpful. Also, includes the best video I've seen so far on Apple TV.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...ssories/apple-tv-900409/review#articleContent

On to content questions...

What we're trying to do is replace cable TV with net TV. So I'm curious of your experience of the following:

1) Netflix
2) Hulu
3) Youtube
4) Vimeo

It looks like this is what we'd be watching on Apple TV.

I know this is a very subjective question, but anyway....

Could you entertain yourself about 2 hours a day using only those four video sources?

Thanks again!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Here's a four page review I found helpful. Also, includes the best video I've seen so far on Apple TV.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...ssories/apple-tv-900409/review#articleContent

What we're trying to do is replace cable TV with net TV. So I'm curious of your experience of the following:

1) Netflix
2) Hulu
3) Youtube
4) Vimeo

Could you entertain yourself about 2 hours a day using only those four video sources?

Thanks again!

Yes. Netflix -> lots of movies (albeit older ones generally speaking) + a lot of seasons of various tv shows (this part is really nice). Hulu is great for current shows on ABC, NBC, and FOX as well as many seasons of older shows (like Netflix). Vimeo I've never used. I have an account to upload my personal videos to, but I just haven't played with it much. Youtube is Youtube, I don't think it needs much introduction. I rarely use it to be honest, because Youtube is generally best for 2-10 minute videos which isn't really want I want to watch when I sit down in front of my TV.

Also consider getting a nice antenna and you can pull down your locals and watch them in real time. Biggest loss for me since cutting the cord, is sports (especially college football) since it is shown mostly on ESPN and Fox Sports.

danbeckemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
We cut our cable with AppleTV last fall and have been happy since. We catch our regular shows on Hulu or the network's website with a laptop hooked up via HDMI if it's not available on Hulu. I find that we have been expanding our interests and watching shows that we wouldn't have otherwise and since all previous episodes are available on either Netflix or Hulu, there is not restrictions on when we have to watch them.

Rarely do we use YouTube or Vimeo, but we manage with Hulu/Netflix for the better part of an afterwork evening to bedtime. We have a toddler too and the children's selection between the two services is ridiculous—a lifesaver.

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012

1) Netflix
2) Hulu
3) Youtube
4) Vimeo

Thanks again!

Netflix and Hulu+ both offer trial periods in which you could watch TV or movies on your computer or tablet/phone. That way you can see what content each provider offers and determine whether or not it suits your needs before buying the Apple TV.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
We also cut the cable and have been going with:

Netflix stream only
Hulu Plus
ITunes rentals
A decent antenna for broadcast channels

We are quite happy and saving a ton of money. You don't mind paying for rentals when you're not shelling out money for cable subscriptions.

When my wife misses HGTV, she can usually find what she wants on their website...

Don't really use YouTube or Vimeo, but might consider them if content expands...

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan

1) Netflix
2) Hulu
3) Youtube
4) Vimeo

Thanks again!

You could entertain yourself for a whole lot longer than two hours a day with just those. My Netflix queue is in the triple digits. Living abroad, the only way to get access to western TV without pirating is through Netflix and Hulu Plus and I can get most shows through that, either as soon as they've aired with HP or once they're out on DVD with Netflix.

Vimeo and YouTube I never use, but my girlfriend can watch YouTube all day long. Don't know how she does it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.