Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Do You Use With iPad?

• iPad, Desktop Computer and Smartphone

Votes: 46 38.0%
  • iPad, Laptop and Smartphone

Votes: 50 41.3%
  • iPad and Desktop Only

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • iPad and Laptop Only

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • iPad only

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I dont use an iPad

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Just curious what other devices people use with their iPad and why. Personally I use a mac mini and an iPhone with my iPad 2, the mini does all the heavy lifting whereas my iPad does almost everything else and my iPhone is for when im out and about. So what are your uses and devices?

mattfab

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I have an ipad 4, htc rezound android phone, and a windows 7 desktop. I use my ipad for browsing the web, YouTube, using the fios app for tv, Netflix, games and apps. I use my phone for browsing the Internet on the go, music, phone calls, and desktop mostly for gaming

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
iPad Mini, Smartphone, desktop and a Chromebook laptop.

iPad mini is now my light task/general use device used for browsing and casual gaming. I use it over all other devices.

Nexus 4 is my smartphone. Mostly used for communications and media playback on the move. Coupled with hotspot and my unlimited data plan, the Nexus 4 also serves as a hotspot for my Chromebook and iPad mini when out and about.

Chromebook. I use this for when I want to do a little more than I can on the iPad. The keyboard and trackpad make for a far, far better browsing experience for long stints. I also use if for many of my web based apps I use & lastly I use It for a bit of Ubuntu Linux dabbling dual booting from a 32GB high speed SD card.

Desktop PC is my heavy lifter for gaming, video, audio and browsing mostly. I use Splashtop on the iPad and Chrome Remote Desktop on this machine to acces it vita my tablet and laptop. Also use XBMC with my HDTV for video entertainment use and it serves as a Plex server.

Probably more tech than I need but I like the flexibility of it all. =D

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
iPad-web browsing, Dj contracts, email, etc
Desktop-school work
MacBook-djing
iPhone-calls, texts, emails, etc

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Use my MacBook for school, and baseball research/blogging
Got a mini to suppliment school and for leisure

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
MacBook Pro - After Effects, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Autodesk Maya, and browsing.

iPad Mini - I actually like using it as a camera :eek:, mostly for shooting stuff I can use for backdrops to practice in Maya, and then nature stuff. I have the TI-Nspire CAS app, Sketchbook Ink, Photoshop Touch, and then some note taking apps. I also have some music apps like Cubasis, Figure, Tabletop, Chordion, and GarageBand just to chill out and be creative. Never know when you're going to need background noise for something, haha. And then of course games, I have a few of those too.

iPod Nano - Some of my iTunes U media, some flashcards I converted to PNG, some YouTube videos I ripped, and then of course music.

Android Phone - It's my phone. :eek: I keep todo lists, use the browser when I need it, read my e-mails, and yeah.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
MacBook Pro - After Effects, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Autodesk Maya, and browsing.

iPad Mini - I actually like using it as a camera :eek:, mostly for shooting stuff I can use for backdrops to practice in Maya, and then nature stuff. I have the TI-Nspire CAS app, Sketchbook Ink, Photoshop Touch, and then some note taking apps. I also have some music apps like Cubasis, Figure, Tabletop, Chordion, and GarageBand just to chill out and be creative. Never know when you're going to need background noise for something, haha. And then of course games, I have a few of those too.

iPod Nano - Some of my iTunes U media, some flashcards I converted to PNG, some YouTube videos I ripped, and then of course music.

Android Phone - It's my phone. :eek: I keep todo lists, use the browser when I need it, read my e-mails, and yeah.

All Apple, but an Android phone?! The horror! :p

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

I know, right? It was because I broke my iPhone 4. And I'm even on the second one for this past year because the first one is coming apart :eek:. I can't wait for iPhone 5S. Although I have been surprisingly content with Android. You hate it at first, but then you start doing things with it, and it gets easier and easier everyday.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
11" MacBook Air ultimate 2011
iPhone 5 64
Ipad mini wifi 64

Great trio for getting the legal work done

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
11" MacBook Air ultimate 2011
iPhone 5 64
Ipad mini wifi 64

Great trio for getting the legal work done

How do you like the Air? I went with the Pro for my first laptop, use it for typing papers and the usual college stuff. I love the Air though, and unless Apple just has one line of MacBooks in the future, I might get an Air next.

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
I use my MBP for downloading things, doing school work, Internet browsing.

The Mini is used for watching videos, listening to music/podcasts, simple Internet surfing but the most use would be for reading - either Kindle books or Flipboard. And of course, Twitter and Facebook.

I find these two really complement each other.

I would an iPhone into the mix, but I lost mine and the one my Aunt gave me isn't on my network. :[

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I have a 13" Air, an iPad 3gen and an android phone.

I'm a researcher and for work purposes I main use my iPad to:

- read and annotate research articles, which I spend a lot of time doing
- take notes, especially when away from my regular desk/on conferences etc, because the combination of 3G internet access, long battery life and stylus input makes it more convenient than my Air

The majority of my writing, downloading of articles, project management, etc happens on my Air.

Haha. My main gripe with iPhone is lack of predictive keyboard input, it's pretty much the only reason (apart from screen size) why I stick with android. I'd love to have it all integrated in the same eco system, but I just can't be asked to type the slow way that iPhone requires.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
I don't use an iPad now, but I am going to get the iPad mini 2 when Apple announced it. Now I only have one nexus 7.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'm in flux

but right now

iPad mini - watching movies, web stuff (search, post, read), email, calendar entry write, games

iMac - same as above but no gaming and light pixelmator work

iPhone - very little calling, mostly use as an iPod or just checking my commute/weather.

What I am finding is I want mobility with any Apple product I have. While I might eventually go iPad only, I still prefer a full computer experience - so that will probably mean a rMPB to replace the iMac.

Additionally, I see a lot of replication between my phone and iPad, so I may just ditch the iPhone for a non smartphone when my contract expires. It is pointless to pay AT&T for non talk and text, and for the data I barely use. That $30 could go into more important expenses every month.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Ipad2 was my first iPad and has a zillion apps as I was new to IOS, having never had an iPhone, so I was trying out lots of things.

I have an ipad4 with not so many apps, use it for all textbased things, including writing and note-taking, also art and photography apps. Ipad2 is still used a lot - music-making, GPS, cooking, yoga, workouts, it can also tell me potentially lifsaving things such as how close bush fires are to me. Both have lots of reference materials.

Iphone5, my first smart phone, not many apps, mostly a phone (my only phone now). iPod classic, heaps of music and audiobooks, mostly in my car with its own charging system (a second cigarette lighter installed, leaving the other one free for ipad and phone charging) and wired into Alpine gear (amp, speakers, and very expensive EQ system), the ghastly embedded CD/radio system is used only for radio.

Air and iMac for everything iPads can't do, but increasingly I use ipad4 and the Air most in various locations, at a desk only when absolutely necessary.

I love the Air, but I'm addicted to retina and I will replace it with an rMBP after haswell happens and when the screen issues are sorted.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Actually, as you can see in my signature, I use all of them, but the Mini I own is basically a "backup machine" where a store all of my aperture library (it is connected to a 2 Tb FW external hdd).
My primary setup is an iPad, a MacBook Pro 15" for "serious work" and an iPhone 5 as my mobile.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have an ipad 4, htc rezound android phone, and a windows 7 desktop. I use my ipad for browsing the web, YouTube, using the fios app for tv, Netflix, games and apps. I use my phone for browsing the Internet on the go, music, phone calls, and desktop mostly for gaming

I have those devices you listed. The rezound has to be one of the most overlooked phones ever. Still beats some of the newest stuff as far as resolution/ppi. I use it for the same purposes as you.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just curious what other devices people use with their iPad and why. Personally I use a mac mini and an iPhone with my iPad 2, the mini does all the heavy lifting whereas my iPad does almost everything else and my iPhone is for when im out and about. So what are your uses and devices?

For work I have an iPad mini, full sized iPad, MBP 15, iMac 27 inch and iPhone. What I use of that depends on whether we are on set or in post. For example if I'm on set its the laptop in the trailer, the iPads on set, the phone no matter what.

In post it's the iMac and the iPad mini since my notes are typically on it.

Personal life I have iMac, iPhone and full sized iPad although I'm giving serious thought to an iPad mini the next go around. Depends on screen and storage. I travel a lot, with a lot of long flights going between LA and London or Christchurch so stocking up on movies and shows is a big thing for me. So that 128 GB iPad has appeal. I have no real reason to take a computer since we have them in our offices there and messing with flash drives etc is annoying so I'd rather just load it up at home and be done with it.

The real amusing part is that I don't really do anything with my iPhones anymore (yes I have two) other than calls, texts to my like 3 non iPhone friends and at work the camera sometimes. I do everything else on the iPads. As much as I thought the whole phablet thing was rather dork I do find myself thinking if the Mini could make calls and so regular texts I could dump my phone. Although I'm using a headset. No way would I stick that up to my ear.

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
My wife and I use iPhones; and iPads for light web surfing and reading books from iTunes.

Also have Apple TV's and a MacMini set up as our media center. Considering purchasing a MacAir or MacPro laptop to use around the house and travel. Since I cannot use it to read iBooks, would still have to take an iPad with me as well when I travel.

Last edited:

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Gaming desktop, fileserver/AirVideo server/HTPC and a iPad 4. Also got a Lumia 920 as my private phone and an iPhone as my work phone. Also got a work laptop.

The iPad was bought to replace my Macbook Air as my mobile computing unit used away from home or in my couch and so on.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
iPad - small-medium amounts of image based work, using PS touch, sketchbook etc I use for web browsing, watching films and playing loads of games. The iPad has to come to be a family device, all my family use it, usage varies by day. Originally I got it for myself, but now all my family want to use it. And they love it!
I also use the iPad for small reports that I must do within my course, as well as small presentations.. I have also used garageband as a helpful tool to aid me with my coursework.

iPhone - usual phone stuff, plus games and web browsing email and what not when outside, even inside I use it a lot. Manages a lot of my social life. iPhone is my personal device that is the hub for my social life.

Windows Laptop - This is used for heavy work. Autodesk Composite+Matchmover, Maya, 3DSMax. A few Adobe programs, as well as visual studio and Unity, as well as a few other important programs. Lets not forget the Microsoft Word, excel, etc....

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Alu MacBook - Main computer/OSX
24" IMac - Main computer/Win7
Ipad 4 - streaming/browsing
Ipad mini - streaming/browsing
iPod Touch 5 - iPod
iPhone 5 - portable
iPod Classic - car iPod
Atv2 - movies/tv shows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.