Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy.b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I know there are a few threads on this already, but most seem to be addressing new phones that just happen to have one or two small specks on the underside of the camera lens.

However, I would like to know if there other people who are seeing LOTS of dust/specks accumulating under or beneath the lens over time?

I am seeing this on my iphone 5 and I don't do anything weird with it. I usually keep it in my jeans or front shirt pocket, which of course have lint sometimes, but I figured the camera should be sealed and perhaps nitrogen filled or something to prevent condensation. I use one of those snap-on cases that just covers the back and sides of the phone. Primarily just to provide a little added mechanical protection, but it's not a hermetically sealed case and in my opinion shouldn't need to be for 'normal' use in an office type setting.

My old blackberry had this same problem, but it was a blackberry and the camera was obviously not sealed to the environment. I expected more from Apple though, an iPhone isn't a cheap device!

And yes, it interferes with images quality. The lens isn't in the image plane, but if light hits it just right you'll get 'orbs' in the image coming from the illuminated dust particles. This happens on my phone quite often and is a darn shame since the camera would otherwise be pretty good.

What's up with this apparently significant design oversight? Didn't they expect a cell phone to encounter pocket lint, or is it expected to live out its life on a golden pedestal?

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
I know there are a few threads on this already, but most seem to be addressing new phones that just happen to have one or two small specks on the underside of the camera lens.

However, I would like to know if there other people who are seeing LOTS of dust/specks accumulating under or beneath the lens over time?

I am seeing this on my iphone 5 and I don't do anything weird with it. I usually keep it in my jeans or front shirt pocket, which of course have lint sometimes, but I figured the camera should be sealed and perhaps nitrogen filled or something to prevent condensation. I use one of those snap-on cases that just covers the back and sides of the phone. Primarily just to provide a little added mechanical protection, but it's not a hermetically sealed case and in my opinion shouldn't need to be for 'normal' use in an office type setting.

My old blackberry had this same problem, but it was a blackberry and the camera was obviously not sealed to the environment. I expected more from Apple though, an iPhone isn't a cheap device!

And yes, it interferes with images quality. The lens isn't in the image plane, but if light hits it just right you'll get 'orbs' in the image coming from the illuminated dust particles. This happens on my phone quite often and is a darn shame since the camera would otherwise be pretty good.

What's up with this apparently significant design oversight? Didn't they expect a cell phone to encounter pocket lint, or is it expected to live out its life on a golden pedestal?

The exact thing happened to my iPhone 5. I took it to Apple and they replaced it with a new one.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I'm currently on my third iPhone 5 that has developed dust spots on the camera sensor. I'll be getting it replaced when I go to the UK next month.

Two of my colleagues, the only two who have 5s, have also experienced the same problem. All of ours, including my replacements (I suspect), have been early batch units... I hope that the build quality is better now, although I realise that my next replacement could be another early batch one.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I don't know about camera lenses, but Fapple replaced my iPod touch for free when I brought it in because there was too much dust under the screen. Worth stopping in to talk to them.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I have gone through more iPhone 5s than anyone has. They all have had something in the lens. On most, I just had a very, very small speck of lint or dust in the lens that did not affect my pictures. On a few, it seemed like a couple specs of fuzz or lint got in there.

The iPhone 5 build quality is nowhere as good as the 4S was.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
had mine since release and just went in today to see if they could clean it, but the CSR said the quickest solution is to swap me a new one..and so i took the swap :(

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I noticed a dust speck on sensor (big grey smudge) after shooting some sunset pics this evening. Looking back over the last few weeks, it looks like the problem started about 2 weeks ago.

Assuming Apple up here in Canada will do a swap as well...

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I had this problem on my launch iPhone 5. Got it swapped about 3 months.

New one has had no dust accumulation under the lens under the same usage pattern.

However this one has had a temperamental home button since the day I got it. Haven't had the chance to bring it back in yet though.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
yes, my launch iP5 was exchanged for free last week due to this very reason

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My first iphone didn't have dust issues, but the second one I got seemed to always get dust between the chamfer and screen.....drove me insane!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.