Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your most wanted innovation for next MBAs ?

• Eye/Gesture tracker iSight (screen auto-dimm, air gesture, eye command, focus, games...)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 3G/4G antenna/slot

Votes: 57 32.8%
  • Wifi 802.11 abc standard

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • Larger tactile and pen-friendly trackpad

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • E-ink keyboard (with changing/custom key symbols)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • New, way lighter materials and body

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • Auto connecting/disconnecting Magsafe magnet

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • NFC/Micro-wireless chip to connect devices/cards/items (data, cut-copy, contacts, music etc...)

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 48 27.6%

• Total voters

blabliblu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Imagine a world where Steve Jobs would still be alive
Imagine a world where consumers were smart and fanboys didn't exist.

In short : Imagine a world where Apple was still innovating.

What would be the first thing or the top order of innovations you would like to see in a Macbook Air?

There's a poll of most current and wanted propositions but you can add yours.

[UPDATE] As you know you can't edit a poll so here are the most wanted "Other" features (by the way I'm talking about new/innovative feature, not update or spec bumps)
- Thinner Bezel
- Touch Screen
- Hybrid Screen (detachable like a Tablet)
- Wireless charging
- New battery technology

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Nothing on your list would interest me or cause me to upgrade from my 2011 MBA. All I would want in the next model would be a faster processor, more RAM and a bigger SSD. The 2012 models have already provided this, so the other thing would be to just lower the cost.

And if nobody is going to make any affordable Thunderbolt devices, maybe they should just go back to firewire? :p

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The battery life could be better, which is both a software and hardware issue. I don't think we've had any huge breakthroughs in battery technology.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
None of the above, something more modest:

Retina with HD5000. Same battery or better, same heat dissipation or even more efficient.

Personally a 12.2" screen. Somehow that's the perfect compromise for me.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I want the mainboard and battery move behind a touch screen and make the keyboard detachable ... E voila: a Mac OS X Tablet.

And I know: will not get it anytime soon

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I want a Quad core...but its just on my wish list i know.
In the meanwhile ,is anyone able to tell me which Gpu will next Air going to have?
I see GT2,GT3,5100,5200...in many articles is written that that the better one will land just with quad core..and Air is not.
I could agree with a dual core Air with 5100-5200 not with a 4200,4400,4600..
i want something small and powerful with a decent Gpu.
The 13 MacBook Pro isn't then the right one..not without a dedicated Gpu..not with a dual core still,
so...maybe its all delayed for my wallet and me,to 2014,maybe with a real quad core in all the notebooks line,from Air to Pro,with the new Falcon Ridge Thunderbolt Ports.
Am i dreaming too much?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
For Air's I would want better battery life and better material constructs including a better screen. If I needed more performance I would have went for the MBP.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I would like to see an IPS display and smaller bezel but definitely no retina to maintain good battery life and low temperature of the case, particularly at the bottom.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
Even though I am already stunned at how light my MBA air, I selected it from the list of options. Perhaps a second TB port on it like on the MBPs but really I think that's all I would want different so far.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Battery life is not the greatest, but it hasn't been much of a problem for me, as I use it about 60-70% of the time on my desk, while plugged-in.

My maxed-out 13" Air is a dream machine to use as it is, but if I had to come up with anything at all, my two wishes are Haswell and 802.11ac. If they could, with or without Retina, cram a 14" display in that 13" model, with a thinner bezel, without making it appreciably heavier, that would be icing on the cake!

blabliblu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
I want a Quad core...but its just on my wish list i know.
In the meanwhile ,is anyone able to tell me which Gpu will next Air going to have?
I see GT2,GT3,5100,5200...in many articles is written that that the better one will land just with quad core..and Air is not.
I could agree with a dual core Air with 5100-5200 not with a 4200,4400,4600..
i want something small and powerful with a decent Gpu.
The 13 MacBook Pro isn't then the right one..not without a dedicated Gpu..not with a dual core still,
so...maybe its all delayed for my wallet and me,to 2014,maybe with a real quad core in all the notebooks line,from Air to Pro,with the new Falcon Ridge Thunderbolt Ports.
Am i dreaming too much?

The 5000 serie is the high end Intel HD card so it's unlikely we get it. It will probably be in the GT2 4000 serie

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
HDMI would be nice but not necessary. From that list I went with 3G antenna.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Haswell (and associated gains in battery life) and 128GB starting point in the 11".

thrilllho

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Stick a larger screen in the same chassis. Go from 11"->12" and 13->14" in the same footprint. Instant WIN.

blabliblu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Pre-results, people are looking forward too :

1. 3G/4G antenna slot (clearly a business opportunity but not coming soon)
2. Lighter material (which mean redisign, probably not coming until OSX 10.9 or 11)
3. Wifi AC standard (very likely to be in a next update)

Other interesting wanted feature I see a lot are

1. Better, way better battery (needs new technology or engineering, so not coming soon)
2. Smaller bezel (which means redesign as well)
3. Different screen size (ie. redisign)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.