Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Ok, so I have the MacBook Air 13" 2012 i5 4GB 128GB and when I try and play a movie through AirPlay to my newest gen Apple TV it is very laggy and choppy and the sound is all out of wack. To make sure it wasn't my connection or anything I ran AirVideo Server on the MBA and streamed the movie through AirVideo on my iPad 2 and it played without any issue. Can someone tell me why this is happening, because I'm sure this is like this for other people as well.

Thanks!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
To me, is 100% your WIFI hookup.

If you are able to, hardwire everything, and I guarantee ur problem immediately goes away.

Here is the thing, WIFI connection is subject to interference, how close your devices are located in relative to the WIFI router etc.

Here is the thing, a typical playback goes like this: (content from) the Internet -> your router -> WIFI(1) to your laptop (plays and Airplays -> WIFI(2) back to router -> router WIFI(3) Airplay info to ATV box for final display. So THREE WIFI paths, each of which cannot be interrupted for more than a tinny instance before things start to studder.

Quick fix: Hardwire WIFI router to ATV, eliminating one of the WIFI signal paths.

Then if that doesn't work, I hope you have 802.11n, because with anything less you almost have to have perfect signal paths.

Think about that, next time u reply I hope for more detailed info of your WIFI setup.

Last edited:

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
This content is not coming from the internet, It's a video file on the computer itself. Also, the devices are in the same room and I have an ethernet cable running from the router downstairs to the ATV. Also, what would explain the abilility to AirPlay without issues from my iPad 2 and not the MacBook Air which is in the same room and should be more powerful.

Also, I do have wireless N but that doesn't seem to fix the issue. So thank you for your response and opinion, but I don't think my wifi is the issue.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
Are you Mirroring your screen when you AirPlay from our Macbook Air to your Apple TV? Or are you using Quicktime and AirPlaying the video that way?

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Are you Mirroring your screen when you AirPlay from our Macbook Air to your Apple TV? Or are you using Quicktime and AirPlaying the video that way?

I am mirroring the screen.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
I am mirroring the screen.

I think that's the main issue, unfortunately. I have a Retina MBP 15" and I've also noticed choppy and stuttering playback when I mirror my screen over to my Apple TV. Whereas, when I AirVideo Stream movies from my iPad to my Apple TV, there is no stutter at all.

I think with Screen Mirroring, its so many pixels for the Apple TV to have to mirror that it gets hung up a lot of the time. When you stream with AirVideo, the Apple TV only has to worry about the movie file and I think it's able to compress it to a much more manageable size.

Sorry for not providing a solution to your problem, but I figure I share my experience with you. Not sure if there is really a fix for this other than Apple improving the software.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I think that's the main issue, unfortunately. I have a Retina MBP 15" and I've also noticed choppy and stuttering playback when I mirror my screen over to my Apple TV. Whereas, when I AirVideo Stream movies from my iPad to my Apple TV, there is no stutter at all.

I think with Screen Mirroring, its so many pixels for the Apple TV to have to mirror that it gets hung up a lot of the time. When you stream with AirVideo, the Apple TV only has to worry about the movie file and I think it's able to compress it to a much more manageable size.

Sorry for not providing a solution to your problem, but I figure I share my experience with you. Not sure if there is really a fix for this other than Apple improving the software.

Thank you for sharing. At least I know I'm not the only one having the issue, and your explaination makes sense.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Am kinda skeptical about too many pixels. This is like saying Apple released Airplay but did not test it with the Retina. But you don't have a Retina.

My 11" Air Mirrors perfectly, but then I had optimized my WIFI.

But OK you have seems to made up your mind the problem is somewhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.