Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacDailyNews, which does not have much of a track record on rumors, says one of its sources said Apple will announce a replacement to the Mac Pro at some point in the next several months.

macpro-1.jpg
Apple will announce its replacement for the company's Mac Pro lineup this month, a source who has been correct about Apple product matters in the past has just informed us.

Our source offered no information as to whether the "Mac Pro replacement" would be a tower, mini-tower, or some other solution, but did caution that the announcement "could slip into May or even June, but currently April looks most likely."
It has been nearly one thousand days -- almost three years -- since the last significant update to the Mac Pro.

Last year, Apple said a new Mac Pro model was likely to arrive sometime in 2013. Earlier this year, a European reseller claimed they heard from Apple that a new Mac Pro would arrive this Spring. WWDC 2013 would seem to make the most sense for the announcement of a new pro-level Mac workstation.

The current Mac Pro is not available for purchase in Europe because of EU regulatory requirements around unprotected fan blades, providing some additional incentive for Apple to release a new model.

Article Link: Rumor Suggests Replacement for Mac Pro Due in April or May

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Wooohaa!

That'd be awesome. Finally a reason to visit the Mac Pro forum again, too. :D

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I will believe it when I...

See it.. and so far all evidence we currently have has been nothing but vaporware at best.. And I am sure it won't be anything like the Mac Pro we are all using now. I expect it to be very small, with limited expandability and mostly everything integrated and or soldered to the board, given Apple's direction towards the consumer and not Pro users.

Maybe 1 or 2 PCIe 2.0 or 3.0 slots at best.. and be lucky if there is thunderbolt on there and or SATA III.

I am sure it will be a hybrid of the Mac Mini or iMac with PRO stuck on it.

We will have to wait and see though.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Somehow, I feel like this won't be a new model. I feel like it'll just be an update so they can sell the current Pro's in Europe again.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I already sold my 2010 Mac Pro earlier this year to build my own workstation. While I do miss some things about OS X, when I am in my major programs they work just the same. Except now everything runs much faster.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Mac Pro at WWDC is my guess along with a very revamped OS 10.9 that has 4k and h.265 aka HVEC.

4k is the new thing this year if you follow the NAB. Intel is even updating Thunderbolt to accommodate 4k.

We will hear a lot about this in June.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Eh, with a hackintosh Mac Pro look alike at least you can overclock it, right?

I already sold my 2010 Mac Pro earlier this year to build my own workstation. While I do miss some things about OS X, when I am in my major programs they work just the same. Except now everything runs much faster.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth

This seems to be the way most people go. If you need more power at a fraction of the cost, build it yourself.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
we have been waiting way to long for this beast. Lets pray this is true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.