Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ron_johnson_new-150x171.jpg
CNBC is reporting that former Apple Retail head Ron Johnson is out as CEO of JC Penney, the job he took after resigning from Apple.
@CNBC: BREAKING: Ron Johnson out as J.C. Penney CEO - source
Johnson departed Apple in late 2011 and was replaced by John Browett, the CEO of British computing retailer Dixons. Browett's tenure was a bumpy one and he was fired after less than a year on the job.

Nearly six months after Browett left Apple, the position remains open, leading many to speculate that Johnson would be a natural fit to move back into the position he occupied for more than ten years.

Article Link: Former Apple Retail Head Ron Johnson Fired as CEO of JC Penney

Last edited:

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
well, it looks like Ron squeezed... (puts on sunglasses) ...his last penny. YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Last edited:

m2nal

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
been following closely since JCP is headquartered here in dallas and I know their employees.....No shock at all...he did a shoddy job from day 1 with terrible results along the way

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Well I wasn't expecting that. How could the man who did such great things for apple retail do so badly at jcp that he's out not long after he started? :eek:

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
He did amazing stuff with Apple, but I wouldn't take him back. What kind of management morale would there be with someone who left coming back?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
been following closely since JCP is headquartered here in dallas and I know their employees.....No shock at all...he did a shoddy job from day 1 with terrible results along the way

To be fair though, he ran Penney's like it was Apple, that is to say it would probably have done very well if it catered to the same crowd as Neiman Marcus.

m2nal

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
To be fair though, he ran Penney's like it was Apple, that is to say it would probably have done very well if it catered to the same crowd as Neiman Marcus.

he brought in alot of Apple managers as VP's expecting them to transform JCP into something it's not nor has ever been. They have been working on redoing the layout of their stores to make it more "apple store" like....now I wonder if they scrap all of that and go back to the same ol. The company is totally ruderless

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Do u believe in fate and destiny?

Apple still has not hired svp of retail and now Ronny has been fired. Time to be back where you belong!!

This is worth celebrating!

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
The problem Ron faced was that making JCP a cool place to shop didn't take into account that their base of customers are mostly not cool. I'm guessing JCP would have seen continued weak sales numbers had they done nothing at all and turning around a retailer with such a bad history is almost impossible - just look at Sears and Kmart.

I say JCP deserves to fail for the years of horridly run stores and bogus "sales' tactics. Johnson simply needs to find a new "cool" brand he can help take to the next level in the same way he did with Apple. Forget legacy stores - they're either doing the right thing or they're not and won't regardless of who is in charge.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wow. I guess the board doesn't want to see whether the changes will bring long term profit or not.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
if Cook has a some dignity, he'll beg Johnson to come back

after all, Jobs was fired of his own company and was asked to come back, he finally saved apple and made it what it is now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.