Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began offering refurbished models of the current-generation 27-inch iMac for the first time, roughly four months after the models initially launched.

The two stock configurations of the 27-inch iMac are currently available at 15% discounts compared to brand-new units, with the low-end refurbished model priced at $1529 vs. $1799 new and the high-end refurbished model priced at $1699 vs. $1999 new. Several higher-priced custom configurations are also currently available as refurbished units, with all refurbished models listed as shipping in 1-3 business days.

refurbished_imac_27_2012.jpg

The addition of refurbished 27-inch models comes nearly two months after Apple began offering refurbished 21.5-inch models, with supplies having remained tight for a number of months due to issues related to the thinner design of the new iMac. Apple is using a new lamination process for the display to achieve a thinner and more vivid screen, and that process reportedly was resulting in low yields, particularly for the larger 27-inch models.

Availability of the new iMacs improved markedly in early March, with shipping estimates for new orders of all stock configurations improving to "within 24 hours" at that time.

Article Link: Apple Online Store Now Offering Refurbished Current-Generation 27-Inch iMac Models

Last edited:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Niiiice, wish I could trade my 2011 27in for this :p

But nah, I'll just wait 'til Haswell.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Bought a refurb RMBP and I'll never buy new again. 15% discount and i'm covered under the same warrantee as a new buyer=no brainer.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today began offering refurbished models of the current-generation 27-inch iMac for the first time, roughly four months after the models initially launched.

The two stock configurations of the 27-inch iMac are currently available at 15% discounts compared to brand-new units, with the low-end refurbished model priced at $1529 vs. $1799 new and the high-end refurbished model priced at $1699 vs. $1999 new. Several higher-priced custom configurations are also currently available as refurbished units, with all refurbished models listed as shipping in 1-3 business days.

The addition of refurbished 27-inch models comes nearly two months after Apple began offering refurbished 21.5-inch models, with supplies having remained tight for a number of months due to issues related to the thinner design of the new iMac. Apple is using a new lamination process for the display to achieve a thinner and more vivid screen, and that process reportedly was resulting in low yields, particularly for the larger 27-inch models.

Availability of the new iMacs improved markedly in early March, with shipping estimates for new orders of all stock configurations improving to "within 24 hours" at that time.

Article Link: Apple Online Store Now Offering Refurbished Current-Generation 27-Inch iMac Models

Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for a Imac that is so overpriced and under powered? I understand Apple products are elegant and have good design but lets be real for a second here. Just my humble opinion. I guess the 27inch monitor would make it worth it for some people. Honestly. I like Apple products but never buy them new because of the over pricing.

DaveLG526

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
California

I go to a coffee shop right next to an Apple store. Watching from the shops front window and observing people carrying iMac 27-inch boxes through the coffee shop, from the back parking lot, to the Apple store I have come to the conclusion that the 27-inch iMac has some reliability issues.

Seems like there are a lot of repairs being made.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for a Imac that is so overpriced and under powered? I understand Apple products are elegant and have good design but lets be real for a second here. Just my humble opinion. I guess the 27inch monitor would make it worth it for some people. Honestly. I like Apple products but never buy them new because of the over pricing.

I am sure you're just a troll, but tell me again how these 27" iMacs are underpowered for the price?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Bought a refurb RMBP and I'll never buy new again. 15% discount and i'm covered under the same warrantee as a new buyer=no brainer.

I had to repeatedly return an eMac that I got refurbished however many years ago it was that you could get eMacs (10 years ago? 12? 8? I can't remember anymore...) When I first got it, the screen wouldn't even turn on. I forget why I had to return it the second time... it was an issue with the screen again, also immediately noticeable out of the box... I'm skeptical they were even checking to see if it worked prior to giving it to me each time... I've only bought new since and haven't had any problems :)

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I go to a coffee shop right next to an Apple store. Watching from the shops front window and observing people carrying iMac 27-inch boxes through the coffee shop, from the back parking lot, to the Apple store I have come to the conclusion that the 27-inch iMac has some reliability issues.

Seems like there are a lot of repairs being made.

Or maybe you just notice iMacs more because of the giant boxes people use to carry them. It's probably not as obvious when someone takes a MacBook Air in for repairs.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
....I like Apple products but never buy them new because of the over pricing.

In reading posts from this person, I'm not sure why he/she takes so much time on an Apple site when almost every post has a negative comment about
Apple products. On the other hand, my Pops brother does the same thing about car sites. Just loves to sit at his computer and spout off about things he doesn't like. Pops says it keeps his "mind' busy. Never was able to find a wife...hmmm, so he's got lots of time to pick away.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I had to repeatedly return an eMac that I got refurbished however many years ago it was that you could get eMacs (10 years ago? 12? 8? I can't remember anymore...) When I first got it, the screen wouldn't even turn on. I forget why I had to return it the second time... it was an issue with the screen again, also immediately noticeable out of the box... I'm skeptical they were even checking to see if it worked prior to giving it to me each time... I've only bought new since and haven't had any problems :)

To each their own! I'm sure if my refurb buying experience wasn't as great as it was, i'd be hesitant to do it again.

cnymike

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2004
I actually just bought a refurbished Mid-2011 iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 for $1789 a few days ago from the Apple Store and could not be happier. I wanted a DVD drive which the new iMacs lack and I've got pretty much everything I could ask for except a fusion drive and I can do without that. I'm happy.

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
I actually just bought a refurbished Mid-2011 iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 for $1789 a few days ago from the Apple Store and could not be happier. I wanted a DVD drive which the new iMacs lack and I've got pretty much everything I could ask for except a fusion drive and I can do without that. I'm happy.

I thought about doing the same but worried about processing power for video editing. Really bugs me that the new iMacs don't have a DVD drive. And I couldn't care less about the thinner design. It sits on my desk! I don't really use the extra half inch behind my monitor for anything.

Anyway, glad the purchase worked out for you.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Well, this 'Sale' is a clear sign that Ron Johnson will not be returning to run the Apple Stores :D

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Niiiice, wish I could trade my 2011 27in for this :p

But nah, I'll just wait 'til Haswell.

Haswell is unlikely to make any huge improvements. It would be a revision B, so it might have some internal improvements, but I don't see anything special about the cpu architecture. They are making a number of improvements to power management, but it's likely to be a bigger factor in notebooks where a few watts makes a big difference for things like battery life.

I thought about doing the same but worried about processing power for video editing. Really bugs me that the new iMacs don't have a DVD drive. And I couldn't care less about the thinner design. It sits on my desk! I don't really use the extra half inch behind my monitor for anything.

Thinner is nothing more than marketing. It takes up the same amount of space. The foot looks the same. The back is tapered. There really isn't anything enabled by the new one that the old one couldn't do in terms of placement. Some people have commented that the cooling saw significant improvements. A few people on here have commented on screen inconsistencies, but the glare reduction would be a big plus for me. I could not stand the mirror- like appearance. I really wish they coupled it with a light anti-glare coating and built in some calibration features to get display quality closer to something like NEC. If they did that, I might be tempted to go the imac route.

cnymike

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2004

I think what I got has plenty of horsepower for video editing. And with Hyperthreading it should really cruise. I just wish I had had the option to get more video RAM but hey, this configuration is pretty respectable even considering it was built Mid-2011. I've got 1MB of video memory. And I plan to up the RAM to 32GB so it won't be a slouch.

I'm not a fan of the glossy screen though... but I'm used to it and in my office, it's not an issue anyway.

For what I would have had to give up with the new iMac's, this purchase made way more sense to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.