Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
Does anyone use this?

I'm thinking of using this but I need to know whether it integrates with Mac Mail and also whether I can use it for multiple accounts under one account.

Thank you

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I guess it depends on your business, but I don't think I would take a business seriously with a .gmail.com address, or anything else besides the company's own domain.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
That makes more sense.

I do know that gmail (personal) accounts play nicely with Mac Mail, I can't vouch for separate individual account access, but if this is a product aimed at businesses, I would sure hope they would offer a way to have multiple accounts. Are you trying to access multiple accounts (e.g. different employees) on a single computer, or just through one Gmail account/server?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I know of several organizations that are very happy with All Google Services.

It's all a matter of what the business does & how they prefer to arrange their IT structure.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Does anyone use this?

I'm thinking of using this but I need to know whether it integrates with Mac Mail and also whether I can use it for multiple accounts under one account.

Thank you

My last job was at a non-profit who used Google Business Apps and was a full Mac workplace (server as well). It worked great. Some used the browser based version, which is just the gmail layout, while a few used Mail and had no issues.

I think it was free due to our size and being a non-profit. Can't beat free. Plus who doesn't know the gmail interface these days?

emma777

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
India, New delhi
I have only used it for private mail because Google sounds too much like free Hotmail free and sucks as far a biz is concerned. Times are changing however. Hotmail is being advertised now as suitable for biz and I think Google have already cracked it by using the more simple and business like GMAIL so I am reconsidering as there is that huge space tgo store emails and I like the new video conference too.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
I have only used it for private mail because Google sounds too much like free Hotmail free and sucks as far a biz is concerned. Times are changing however. Hotmail is being advertised now as suitable for biz and I think Google have already cracked it by using the more simple and business like GMAIL so I am reconsidering as there is that huge space tgo store emails and I like the new video conference too.

Read the whole thread much?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We use Gmail for our company and it has been flawless, including with Macs.

Same. I've got three of my companies using it, and it's pretty rock solid. Configures quickly and easily with Mac Mail and iOS devices, provides a great IMAP service.

The business pricing is decent too: $50/year/user (with a year commitment), or $5/month/user. That also gives you several other services like video hosting, google drive, documents/collaboration, calendar, etc.

I've never liked the web UI much, but it's rare I ever use it, mostly I do for configuration like auto-responders, spam rules and whatnot. FYI, I use it right through the stock iOS email client (vs. the dedicated app) since I have several boxes to manage, and a few aren't GMail based, but it still works great.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm surprised at the businesses I see still using a free gmail.com account for email when this is available. I agree with some of the other posters that I would not use a business that sent out email from gmail.com, yahoo.com, etc (i.e. use Gmail for Business instead of free gmail.com if you want my business :D).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I've just set this up for my fiancee and myself (one private account each and more shared account) with our own domain. It seems pretty good. You pay per user but each user can have any number of aliases. Shared calendars work, shared contacts seem to work and document sharing via Drive works fine.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've just set this up for my fiancee and myself (one private account each and more shared account) with our own domain. It seems pretty good. You pay per user but each user can have any number of aliases. Shared calendars work, shared contacts seem to work and document sharing via Drive works fine.

Figured since we're chatting about Biz Apps:

This wasn't readily apparent on my first couple of passes, but you can setup forwarding only type addresses by using Groups (which I originally thought were only for internal collaboration). You simply create the Group, the email address you want (like info@yourdomain.com) add other users to the Group, then set the Group for "Anyone on the internet can email".

It doesn't store, just forwards, and you can setup rules so users are automatically added, etc., and this doesn't count toward your mailbox licenses.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
You cannot use it for multiple accounts under one login. Gmail won't be for you if thats the feature you are seeking. You can create tons of different emails, but will have to log into them individually unless you can set up something akin to an outlook.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You cannot use it for multiple accounts under one login. Gmail won't be for you if thats the feature you are seeking. You can create tons of different emails, but will have to log into them individually unless you can set up something akin to an outlook.

:confused:

You can have any number of aliases for an account on a domain

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Sorry I'm not sure I follow. :confused: I thought this was for multiple accounts, not different aliases. I also didn't know this was on a domain other than google.

Well, I'd suspect it's for a non-Google domain since the OP is pursuing the business class services (plus a domain is $5 so why not :) )

I follow you on the _not_ following, but I think that's because the OP was a little ambiguous with the "use it for multiple accounts under one account" ... it's kind of hard to understand what they're trying to do.

OP:

Biz Gmail supports aliases ("nicknames" per Gmail), that's a single mailbox that receives mail for multiple addresses, the alias names aren't dedicated boxes, and you use the primary address for all security.

So you setup primary as danny@company.com, and then you can setup alias/nicknames as dan@company.com, daniel@company.com (etc)

In this case:

You pay for one mailbox
You can receive email sent to danny@, dan@ or daniel@
You login using danny@ (and the associated password)
In Mac Mail and iOS mail you setup ONE account

Alternately, you can setup multiple mailboxes, danny@ and dan@

Each can receive email
Each has it's own dedicated login and password
You pay for two mailboxes
In Mac Mail and iOS mail you setup TWO accounts, and you can see all email sent to both in the unified Inbox

This is how to handle multiple email addresses, but only the latter is really multiple email boxes!

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
^^^^ and we've got another poster who really doesn't practice reading comprehension...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.