Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
I have a second gen Apple TV.

My router has a 2ghz and a 5ghz option. the 5ghz is MUCH faster on my phone and macbook.

However, whenever i try to airplay to my apple TV, it only works on the 2.5ghz. When i try to used the 5ghz, only the sound transfers fine and the video is black/shows one frame of my screen then freezes(while the sound still plays).

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Thanks!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I have both a first and third gen :apple:TV connected at 5GHz streaming video fine from Mac and also via AirPlay (both iPad and Mac as sources for the gen 3 AirPlay). I would suspect some misbehavior of the router.

(My router is Apple AirPort Extreme - first gen 'n' (first rectangular model).)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have a 3TB TC which provides both 2.4 and 5GHZ access..My ATv's run on the 5GHZ band without issues and it is faster. The 5GHZ band gets you away from local cross-transmmtion which is why you get an apparent performance hit.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
2.4 goes through walls and other obstacles better.

where is your aTV?
buried in a cabinet? surrounded by metal? (like placed next to your AV receiver or behind the TV)

in your mind draw a straight line from the base station, to your aTV, what does that line go through.

also keep in mind, when air playing, the signal goes "iphone -> router -> aTV" so both the phone and the aTV have to have clear signal to the router.

gamoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
NETGEAR N600 (WNDR3400v2)

I have a NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Router (WNDR3400v2). I just bought it so this would all work! I dont understand how my iphone airplays fine though...

Thats a good idea about interference. My router is to the left of my actual tv and the ATV is to the right. My MBP is usually on the coffee table, so i dont see there being much interference but i can try to clear it out, thanks!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have a NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Router (WNDR3400v2). I just bought it so this would all work! I dont understand how my iphone airplays fine though...

Thats a good idea about interference. My router is to the left of my actual tv and the ATV is to the right. My MBP is usually on the coffee table, so i dont see there being much interference but i can try to clear it out, thanks!

If the router and the ATV are on the same table, why not use a wire to hook it up? MUCH more reliable connection.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I have a dual band router and have found that Airplay in general seems to work best when the Apple TV is on the 5ghz band and the devices I'm streaming from are on the 2.4ghz band. I have no idea why this is, but it's just my experience.

gamoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
If the router and the ATV are on the same table, why not use a wire to hook it up? MUCH more reliable connection.

Unfortunately, when the ATV is plugged in to the router using Ethernet, my macbookPro wont stream/AirPlay over the wifi network.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Unfortunately, when the ATV is plugged in to the router using Ethernet, my macbookPro wont stream/AirPlay over the wifi network.

Hmm, I always figured as long as they were all on the same router AirPlay would work regardless of connection type. May be something I'll have to try, but that means running a LAN cable to my living room for the ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.