Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DigiTimes claims that Apple will begin volume production of the 5th generation iPad in July-August 2013. The timeline reportedly comes from sources in Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

macrumors-ipad5a-800x600.jpg
Mockup of 5th Generation iPad next to an iPad mini​
A July-August ramp up of production runs counter to many of the earlier rumors that had suggested the iPad launch as early as April.

While Apple's traditional timeframe for iPad launches has been in the first few months of the year, last year saw two iPad launches -- one in March, and one in November. The late 2012 release of the 4th Generation iPad may have altered that usual timetable.

The new iPad is believed to be "thinner and lighter" than the currently shipping full-sized iPad. The 5th Generation iPad is also believed to take on the same thin-bezel design as the iPad mini. The above mockup is based on leaked iPad 5 enclosures from early this year.

Article Link: 5th Generation iPad to Begin Production in July-August

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Been waiting all year. Apple's successfully "mixed it up" regarding expectations of any products.

And last year everyone mocked the secrecy thing. I haven't seen too many rumors about the next iphone, either, or this thing's features aside from a new case.

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

...which doesn't make a lot of sense given that the last truly new iPad was introduced one year ago. But, again, if all they'll do is make it thinner and lighter and give it a slate back than I really don't bother waiting 1/2 years. It's all the same

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
...which doesn't make a lot of sense given that the last truly new iPad was introduced one year ago. But, again, if all they'll do is make it thinner and lighter and give it a slate back than I really don't bother waiting 1/2 years. It's all the same

Complete redesign but its still all the same :confused:.

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
I understand that Macrumors makes its money from clicks.
But please:
Let us have a filter against articles based on trolling-times! Their track record is 99-1. They just make up stuff.

Naruz

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
Sooo, if this is true, the ipad mini would also get delayed. Or is it possible it gets an event for itself during this month?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Sigh. Really want a retina iPad Mini (or a much lighter iPad). Oh welp.

And dang, since Haswell won't hit 'til summer/early fall (desktops vs laptops may vary)... we're going to be waiting forever for updates on almost all Apple products!

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
This is the right time for the upgrade from my iPad 2(served me well) :D

thinner | lighter - the story of my gadgets :cool:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I always looked forward to purchasing a new iPad this time of year. I'm not a fan of Apples entire product portfolio being released in the fall. :cool:

npro1464

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I guess if there is a redesign with the bezel, I can throw my $80 leather smart cover in the garbage. I can't see them making it fit, unless they stretch the actual screen size.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Seems it wasn't a bad decision to buy the iPad 4 like 2 months ago then. Was afraid I'd want to (and then also do) switch to the iPad 5 after a mere 3-4 months. If I have had the iPad 4 for > 6 months when the iPad 5 is released it will feel okay to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.