Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Top this, NFL. I dare you.

http://sports.omaha.com/2013/04/06/jack-hoffman-7-stars-at-nu-spring-game/

Jack Hoffman, 7, stars at NU spring game
By Big Red Today

Jack Hoffman, a 7-year-old cancer patient, was undoubtedly the star of Saturday’s Nebraska spring game. The Husker fan and friend of the football team led the Huskers in rushing yards on the day.

“Obviously, Jack’s a young man who has touched the hearts of a lot of people,” coach Bo Pelini said. “Our football team and the student body have gotten behind him, and he’s become a big part of the team. We weren’t sure if he was going to want to do it. We brought the idea to his dad, and I thought it was a pretty special thing.”

Hoffman scored on a 69-yard run for the Red team.

Taylor Martinez and Joe Ganz drew up a play with him on the sideline.

“That was awesome for the team and for Jack,” Martinez said. “He’s going to remember that for the rest of his life and so will I. It was awesome for him to score that touchdown.”

The play call was spontaneous according to senior fullback C.J. Zimmerer, but the Red team put some serious thought into giving Hoffman a clear path to the end zone and letting him run.

“We drew up the play probably 30 seconds before so I’m sure it was all a blur for him,” Zimmerer said. “I was telling some of the other reporters that he did a great job. We wanted to get him around the edge, giving him a nice lane to the end zone. He did a great job running his little legs there. He’s fast for a little guy. He did a great job for the pressure of 60,000 fans. I’m sure it was not very easy for a 7-year-old.”

Hoffman formed a bond with former Husker running back Rex Burkhead when the two met after Jack was diagnosed. He wore a No. 22 football jersey — Burkhead’s number — on the field.

And yes, it went viral. There are clips on youtube. First one is them drawing up the play, which they pulled out of their heads in less than 30 seconds. The other is the play. WARNING: get some tissue ready; man tears included.

BL.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Wow, that was amazing. Pass the tissue. :eek: After seeing how often we treat each other so badly, it is refreshing to see people acting with kindness and compassion.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
This is what I miss from being so far from home. This was huge back home in Omaha (undoubtedly), but here's how far it hit:

http://www.huskers.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=207095760

When Andy Hoffman and 7-year-old son Jack woke up Sunday morning, they didn't pinch each other before that first bite of toast, and they didn't ask each other about a dream they both lived but still can’t quite grasp. A lawyer in Atkinson, Neb., Andy calls Saturday's experience a "surreal ripple effect" of an audacious idea that emerged from circular logic, yet somehow soared to the top of the nation’s sports conscience at a time you'd least expect.

When a loving father and a brave son are closing in on the finish line of a 60-month chemotherapy protocol for brain cancer, they don't expect the world, including ESPN's Sports Center and ABC's Good Morning America, to focus on an ordinary family that had an extraordinary experience. When that happens, though, a mom and a dad are humbled because they know that the national spotlight is also focusing on the University of Nebraska, on head coach Bo Pelini and his football program, and on the disease itself. Who could have guessed that Jack’s historic and heroic 69-yard touchdown midway through the fourth quarter of Nebraska's annual Spring Game would be trending like March Madness and the NCAA Final Four?

Somehow, the sports world not only paused and took notice of this creative 11th-hour idea, but also relished and embraced it, reported and promoted it, and, in its own way, elevated a unique Nebraska story to a league of its own.

Pint-Sized Hero Poster Child for NU's Program

What America has here is a pint-sized national hero who's stolen hearts across the country. He's become a catalyst for a program with college football’s best overall record over the past 50 years, not to mention home for an unprecedented 325 consecutive home game sellouts. Talk about positive brand awareness. Here are a dozen ways Jack is representing Nebraska, Husker football, Big Red fans and pediatric brain cancer:
  1. Jack becomes the game’s leading rusher on one magical play.
  2. Jack receives the game ball in the locker room from Coach Pelini.
  3. Jack becomes the No. 1 video “Play of the Day” on ESPN.
  4. Jack is swarmed by Nebraska media, warmed by national response.
  5. ESPN played, replayed and kept Jack prominent in its rotation.
  6. ESPN.com headline asks: “Is Jack’s touchdown the greatest one ever?”
  7. Kirk Herbstreit: "One of the coolest things I've seen in a long time."
  8. Erin Andrews of Fox Sports to nearly 1.8 million Twitter followers: “I love Nebraska, Bo Pelini, and the fball team for allowing that little fan to have a moment like that today!"
  9. Actress Alyssa Milano to 2.4 million followers: “OMG! MUST see! Tiny cancer survivor scores in Nebraska's spring game & Nebraska goes NUTS”
  10. ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt tweets how "a 7-year-old named Jack Hoffman & Nebraska reminded us why we love them.”
  11. ESPN’s Stuart Scott and Colin Cowherd and SI.com’s Stewart Mandel follow suit. Warning: "Keep a tissue nearby".
  12. Larry the Cable Guy tweets that “Jack got-r-done!!” and “made a lot of people happy today. Tell him Mater was cheering him on.”

After a Day in Sunshine, Time for Church, Reflection

Jack, his dad, plus a friend and his dad, enjoyed dinner with Rex Burkhead and his parents, Rick and Robyn, on Saturday night, then drove 3½ hours back to Atkinson. "Fortunately, we were on a drug-free, alcohol-free high from an amazing afternoon at Memorial Stadium," Andy said, adding that the weekend whirlwind transitioned Sunday to church and reflection for a quiet, courageous kid to get back to his normal routine in small-town America. Relatively unaware that his shadow is reaching across the country and around the world, Jack will go to school Monday, play with his friends and become a beacon of hope for the cause of pediatric brain cancer. Because Team Jack has raised more than $300,000, Uplifting Athletes can support the disease that continues to threaten Jack's life. That's why Andy shares the sanctity of Saturday's experience with equal doses of humility and respect for everyone who made it possible.

Andy Hoffman loves the way fullback C.J. Zimmerer, the president of Nebraska’s chapter of Uplifting Athletes, was involved from the outset. Andy was shocked when Jeff Jamrog, assistant AD for football operations, called him Friday night to discuss the idea while Jack was in bed, preparing for an early-morning drive. Both father and son were thrilled when Jamrog, assistant Jake Wesch, Zimmerer, receivers coach Rich Fisher and Pelini made sure that a bold, inspiring idea became a reality that broadens and reinforces Jack's – and Team Jack's – ever-expanding popularity.

Believe me, this was no publicity stunt. It was a sincere, heartfelt gesture to acknowlege and inspire a young cancer patient who represents countless more across the country and around the world. The decision to honor Jack in a Nebraska players/coaches-led way traces back to Pelini inviting the Hoffman family to Nebraska’s football banquet last December. NU's sixth-year head coach told the Hoffmans how much Jack inspired the team and how the team wanted Jack to remain a part of the Husker family experience, even though Burkhead, his buddy, would move on to the NFL.

“Today was another ‘once-in-a-lifetime-experience’ for our son,” Hoffman told me Saturday. “Coach Pelini is world class. Truly there are no words to describe what this means to Jack and our entire family. Watching Jack run ahead of both teams towards the North end zone, I was absolutely overcome with emotion. Our heart overflows with gratitude for what Coach Pelini and his staff have done for our son. It truly means the world.

“Jack is so incredibly blessed to have had such an amazing experience,” Andy said. “We’re thankful to Coach Pelini for the opportunity, but we also thank God that He has given Jack the physical ability to make that run. Pediatric brain cancer is a horrific illness. For Jack to undergo two very deep brain tumor surgeries and almost a year of chemotherapy, we find it amazing that he has the physical ability to run 69 yards. It’s a gift from God.”

Coach Pelini Kneels, Connects with Players, Jack

Inside the doors of a postgame locker room, Jack received the game ball, and the Huskers shared a spiritual moment. Coach Pelini and his team went to a knee, and Nebraska’s head coach held a player’s hand on the left and a 7-year-old’s hand on the right. Like he did at a pre-bowl practice, Pelini then asked Jack to help “break it down” and he did with a word, a fist and a heart.

"What a special moment that was when Jack got the game ball in the locker room,” Andy said. “It’s one that he will never forget nor will I. Jack was absolutely pumped when he was invited to join the team on the field. He loved running with the football. Taylor Martinez was so gracious. He was helping Jack every step of the way, starting on the sideline when Joe Ganz was drawing up the play. What fantastic ambassadors for the program! Everyone exemplifies the great character of their coach - something the Burkheads have known for four straight years."

Zimmerer took Jack under his wing on Nebraska’s sideline Saturday. “C.J. has been there every step of the way during Jack’s fight,” Andy said. “It really meant a lot to Jack and our family that C.J. was such a big part of today’s touchdown run. We can’t thank Coach Pelini enough for everything that he’s done for Jack and our family this past year.”

I tell Jack that I remember how he challenged and then beat Rex in a race from Memorial Stadium's South end zone to the North end zone a year-and-a-half ago. Then I ask him which race was more fun – the one where there were only a five people watching or the one where at least two-thirds of the 60,000 fans were watching, plus a national television audience? Jack looked puzzled. He thought for a couple seconds, then a light bulb came on, and he smiled broadly. “Both!” he said. “I like both the same!!”

Personally, while I think having Alyssa Milano cheering you on, Larry telling him that Mater was cheering him on is my favourite.

Sorry for making this so long winded, but damn it if I haven't gone through a box of kleenex already! :eek: :)

BL.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Any person or persons who would do such a special thing for a child will always have my utmost respect. Kindness at its best.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
All political ideologies aside (save it for PRSI), when the POTUS requests personal time with you, it's a good idea to take him up on his offer.

With that, Jack's spotlight and that of pediatric cancer just got bigger.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201304...-star-jack-hoffman-meets-with-president-obama

Husker spring game star Jack Hoffman meets with President Obama
By The Associated Press
Published Monday, April 29, 2013 at 10:18 am / Updated at 4:31 pm

Jack Hoffman's big month just got bigger.

The 7-year-old cancer patient who became an Internet sensation for his touchdown run in Nebraska's spring football game has yet another fan — President Barack Obama.

Jack, his family and former Husker running back Rex Burkhead visited Obama for 15 minutes in the Oval Office on Monday. Obama presented Jack with a new football and told him he was proud of him.

"I thought it was awesome," Jack said.

Burkhead, who was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday, befriended Jack shortly after the boy was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2011. Their friendship led to the "Team Jack" campaign that has raised awareness and funds for research.

The trip to Washington came about after Sen. Deb Fischer, R-Neb., mentioned Jack's touchdown run to the president in casual conversation, said Jack's father, Andy Hoffman. Obama told Fischer that he knew about Jack from watching his touchdown run on television and that Jack should visit him at the White House.

The Hoffmans, from Atkinson, Neb., arrived in Washington on Saturday, did some sightseeing Sunday and plan to go home Tuesday.

Jack met first with Obama, and then he introduced the president to parents Andy and Bri, little sisters Ava and Reese, and Burkhead. Obama spoke briefly to Burkhead about his NFL prospects and thanked him for all he has done for Jack. The Hoffmans, in turn, thanked Obama for meeting with them.

"It was just such a great opportunity for us to visit him and raise national awareness for pediatric brain cancer," Andy Hoffman said. "He talked about his commitment to research and science."

Jack has been a familiar face to Huskers fans who have rallied around the "Team Jack" campaign and saw him help lead the team's traditional Tunnel Walk before last September's game against Wisconsin.

The rest of the nation got to know Jack from the April 6 spring game, after the coaching staff invited Jack to run a play in the fourth quarter. Wearing a miniature Burkhead uniform, he took a handoff from Taylor Martinez and scooted 69 yards to the end zone.

Players on both sidelines poured onto the field, followed him across the goal line and mobbed him, lifting him on their shoulders to the delight of the crowd of 60,000. ESPN and national news networks showed video of Jack's TD run for several days, and it received almost 8 million views on YouTube.

Last week, the U.S. Senate honored Jack in a resolution designating Sept. 26, 2013, as “National Pediatric Brain Cancer Awareness Day." Upper Deck also created a trading card to immortalize Jack's spring game run.

BL.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Warming. Was he cured or just a "survivor"? I've seen stuff like this done with the make a wish foundation. Still great.

Edit: this is taking it too far IMHO.
Last week, the U.S. Senate honored Jack in a resolution designating Sept. 26, 2013, as "National Pediatric Brain Cancer Awareness Day." Upper Deck also created a trading card to immortalize Jack's spring game run.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Warming. Was he cured or just a "survivor"? I've seen stuff like this done with the make a wish foundation. Still great.

Not cured. He is still undergoing treatment. And though what he has done may be similar to what the Make-A-Wish Foundation grants to kids, he took the long way around, befriended a football player at Nebraska, and started his own team/cause to bring pediatric brain cancer to light.

The difference is that in Make-A-Wish, this could have just been disregarded as just another child to help (I don't subscribe to that), and move on to the next kid and their wish. With TeamJack, the entire football team took him under their wing, and that is what got the attention of ESPN, especially during the Red/White game.

Edit: this is taking it too far IMHO.

Which part? Making Congress and those with the ability to do something aware of cancer in children, or UDE making a card for him, further raising awareness so that other people are aware and can help to find a cure?

If those are going too far, then I'm not the only one who would love to see those taken to the extreme and then some.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It is a great story, I just don't take the ESPY's serious, they are just like the MTV awards.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
It is a great story, I just don't take the ESPY's serious, they are just like the MTV awards.

I don't think anybody really does, but when it can raise awareness for something like pediatric cancer, let alone the type of cancer Jack has, any awareness is a good thing.

Good case in point: While it was only a Feel good thing symbolically, at least it got Congress in agreement to pass a resolution about Jack, let alone contribute to cancer research.

BL.

CountryBobs

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
This was awesome, but tell me you wouldn't have laughed if one of the safeties lit him up on the goaline. Yes, I know, that's horrible, but if he was in on it, that would have been truly hilarious.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This was awesome, but tell me you wouldn't have laughed if one of the safeties lit him up on the goaline. Yes, I know, that's horrible, but if he was in on it, that would have been truly hilarious.

So is that your forum thing? Posting cringeworthy unfunny things I mean.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

I sure as hell wouldn't laugh, because such a hit could have killed this child. Do you think that a 7 year old dying is funny?

If so, I would say you have some soul searching to do.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Jack Hoffman's Cancer is in Remission!

The title of the article says it all. And I hope it stays that way. Kids like him, let alone anyone with his or any similar condition, deserve their shot at life. And I hope he lives a long one.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201310...03/1685#jack-hoffman-s-cancer-is-in-remission

Jack Hoffman's cancer is in remission

By Katy Healey / World-Herald staff writer
October 4, 2013

Eight-year-old Husker fan Jack Hoffman's pediatric brain cancer is in remission, the family learned this week.

An MRI revealed that 60 weeks of chemotherapy treatments not only stopped his tumor from growing, but shrank it.

Jack, of Atkinson, Neb., captured the hearts of Husker Nation after befriending former Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead in 2011. This year he garnered national attention after his 69-yard touchdown run during the Husker spring game. Video of the play went viral online. The run earned Jack an ESPY award, and he met President Barack Obama.

Andy Hoffman said Friday that he's “cautiously optimistic” about his son's prognosis, learned Wednesday. “We're so incredibly thankful that the chemo seems to have done its job, and the tumor is stable. Hopefully it's knocked out for good,” he said.

Remission is “the best possible scenario” for a child with an inoperable brain tumor, Hoffman said, but doctors say most pediatric patients need additional treatment.

Jack will receive an MRI every three months for one year to monitor his tumor, then twice a year if the scans are clean, and eventually once a year if there is no change.

Next week doctors will remove his chemo port, a device under his skin that helped administer chemotherapy treatments.

“He associates getting rid of that chemo port with getting his life back, his little boy life back,” Hoffman said.

He also said the family will continue to raise funds for pediatric brain cancer research. Hoffman expects the family's Team Jack Foundation and other efforts to have committed more than $1 million to pediatric brain cancer research by the end of the year.

“We're not going anywhere. We are so excited about what lies ahead in terms of ... our ability to raise money and the state's response to that,” he said. “We are so incredibly thankful for everybody's support.”

The remission announcement on the Team Jack Facebook page received more than 9,400 likes and 1,400 shares.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.