Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Ok so on paper it sounds simple I have Part 1 & Part 2 ripped from 'George Harrison: life in a material world' Bluray! Why they just didn't make the Doc 1 file on Bluray I have no idea?! Regardless I have these two MKV's now and from what I have read it may be easier to merge them from the MKV stage? Is that correct? Really would like the easiest possible scenario so I can then Handbreak it after for my ATV2! Thanks for the help in advance! Jim

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Ok so on paper it sounds simple I have Part 1 & Part 2 ripped from 'George Harrison: life in a material world' Bluray! Why they just didn't make the Doc 1 file on Bluray I have no idea?! Regardless I have these two MKV's now and from what I have read it may be easier to merge them from the MKV stage? Is that correct? Really would like the easiest possible scenario so I can then Handbreak it after for my ATV2! Thanks for the help in advance! Jim

If you have access to windows (bootcamp or virtual) you can download a free copy of TSmuxer. This will allow you to append the files via a "join."

In OSX terminal you can append two files together. I don't recall the syntax but I am sure you can look it up.

If you to with TSmuxer, you can join the files together. After that, if you desire, take the joined final file and load it into TSmuxer again and uncheck streams you do not want. If TSmuxer gives an error saying it cannot get all of the streams don't worry. Just look for the video stream and the correct audio stream. Sometimes MKV files don't translate well for PGS files (subtitles).

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
If you're on a Mac, download Mkvtoolnix. Using that program you can join 2 mkv's together, easily. Just add the 2 files to the list and use "Append" to join them together. You may have a small space between the 2 files. There are editing functions in the program that you can trim that out if it occurs and really bothers you.

If you want to do it at the mp4 stage, you can use mp4tools (download the latest version). This is a little less sure. Sometimes there are audio sync issues. Sometimes not.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks guys! Mic j i am on a mac so i will try what you suggest with MKVtoolnix, i will report back soon! JIM

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
If you're on a Mac, download Mkvtoolnix. Using that program you can join 2 mkv's together, easily. Just add the 2 files to the list and use "Append" to join them together. You may have a small space between the 2 files. There are editing functions in the program that you can trim that out if it occurs and really bothers you.

If you want to do it at the mp4 stage, you can use mp4tools (download the latest version). This is a little less sure. Sometimes there are audio sync issues. Sometimes not.

Good call on this tool. I admit I wasn't aware of a Mac version but have used this tool in Windows and Linux. My turn to say thanks.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Well definitely not a fan of the MKVToolnix unfortunately for merging. to many options imo and wasnt happy at all with the result so...
Think I would prefer to merge to Mv4 or Mp4's. I don't have mountain lion so my QuickTime isnt advanced and cannot do the drag and join trick :( So Can MP4Tools do it pretty easily? Or if not what else could preferably for free?
Thanks Jim

Reactions: Mac Fly (film)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Well definitely not a fan of the MKVToolnix unfortunately for merging. to many options imo and wasnt happy at all with the result so...
Think I would prefer to merge to Mv4 or Mp4's. I don't have mountain lion so my QuickTime isnt advanced and cannot do the drag and join trick :( So Can MP4Tools do it pretty easily? Or if not what else could preferably for free?
Thanks Jim
Yes, MP4Tools has the capability to join mp4's. But I am curious what problems you were having with MKVToolnix. Can't get much easier than adding a file to a list, adding the 2nd file to the list and hitting Append. In general, the earlier in the workflow you do your merging, the less likely you are to have issues, like video/audio sync.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for reply! Mainly its because it results in a huge MKV file and then I have to still handbreak it etc and it takes forever. So to have just two mp4 already handbreaked then simply just pieced together i know what the end file result size would be sort if thing. However I wasn't aware of the bad audio possibility...

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thanks for reply! Mainly its because it results in a huge MKV file and then I have to still handbreak it etc and it takes forever. So to have just two mp4 already handbreaked then simply just pieced together i know what the end file result size would be sort if thing.

Blu Ray producers are getting smart which is why you have to search out the correct file for MKV first, and unticking the others. File sizes won't get smaller either.

I tend to rip to MKV and store them on my Pegasus R4. When I want a particular movie on my Ipad or ATV's then I use HB to consolidate it. That way I don't have to wait 3+ hours for HB to complete a whole bunch of stuff...Just leave it until it starts talking about cocktails!:D

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
I have no worries when ripping to MKV and Handbreaking single MKV's the wait time is expected and I only go thru the process to backup my Blu's and watch on my ATV.

My concern and question comes from merging 2 MKV together or MP4, MV4 together to result in one file to play over ATV or desktop computer. I don't use mobile devices to watch movies so small files aren't my objective. However taking a MKV at say 30gig down to a 10gig is about my average. That being said my objective would be to have 2 parts of this Documentary merged and sized into a quality 10gig file at the end of it all.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for reply! Mainly its because it results in a huge MKV file and then I have to still handbreak it etc and it takes forever. So to have just two mp4 already handbreaked then simply just pieced together i know what the end file result size would be sort if thing. However I wasn't aware of the bad audio possibility...
I understand your issues. I merged the 2 discs from the LOTR Extended edition BRs. Which did result in a very large MKV and took a little over 14hrs to transcode on my aging MBP.

Well, if you already have the mp4 files, it's certainly worth a shot with MP4tools (free with a nag screen). Sync problem is just a potential, not a given. And even then, could be corrected using Subler Audio Offset. MP4tools has been behaving much better since being re-written. Make sure you have lots of free disc space though, as I believe it writes a few scratch files during the merging process.

----------

I have no worries when ripping to MKV and Handbreaking single MKV's the wait time is expected and I only go thru the process to backup my Blu's and watch on my ATV.

My concern and question comes from merging 2 MKV together or MP4, MV4 together to result in one file to play over ATV or desktop computer. I don't use mobile devices to watch movies so small files aren't my objective. However taking a MKV at say 30gig down to a 10gig is about my average. That being said my objective would be to have 2 parts of this Documentary merged and sized into a quality 10gig file at the end of it all.
Of course, your realize that you cannot put 2 10GB files together and end up with a 10GB merged file without quality loss, correct?

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks mic j , no I meant ending with 10g file at the end of everything. I didnt specify the size of each file I was merging into the final file in my post sorry. Thanks I will report back at some point, I will try all programs and see what I find the easiest and quickest.

From my understanding if you have the nag screen in MP4Tools (like my copy) its because you didnt register which I haven't. AND I think that is the only way you can 'Join' file option too. might have to pay $5 and register.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks mic j , no I meant ending with 10g file at the end of everything. I didnt specify the size of each file I was merging into the final file in my post sorry. Thanks I will report back at some point, I will try all programs and see what I find the easiest and quickest.

From my understanding if you have the nag screen in MP4Tools (like my copy) its because you didnt register which I haven't. AND I think that is the only way you can 'Join' file option too. might have to pay $5 and register.
That may be true, I thought it had full functionality, but i could be wrong about that. Anyway, I paid for it, and I think it is the only app I have paid for, I think it's a good buy and the support by email is excellent.

As for file size, what I was trying to say, is if you are doing BR's a single disc run through HB (aTV3 preset) will be 10-20GB. If you combine 2 BR's and are expecting it to be the size of a single transcode, you have to sacrifice quality. Did I say that any better?:D

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Yes I hear what your saying thanks! Guess I was dreaming because I do not want to sacrifice the quality! I use the nightly build HB but still choose the 'high profile' when I break files. I have an ATV2 and will also try CQ at different points -generally between 18-21 tops until I am happy! Guess I sound pretty picky? Because I am lol

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Ok 'mic j' results are in didnt bother with MP4Tools last night but did do QuickTime 7 drag & drop and it worked to merge 2 .m4v files!
Pros of this was I could cut off credits from the 1st file dropped into QT7, then add second file and then save file to Produce 1 quality edited .mov file! All you do is change to .m4v and it will play in iTunes flawlessly! Bad and strange news is for whatever reason I cannot MetaX or SUBLER tag the file?! For whatever reason the programs won't except the new file
: (

Then with your directions above I tried the MKTOOLNIX with 2 MKV's and if also worked flawlessly !! So thank you mic j - the only thing I cannot do is edit the files in the program easily to say cut out credits etc. tried searching for an easy MKV cutter, trimmer to apply the edit before I loaded the file into MKVTOOLNIX but no luck! However I prefer this program for merging because once the 1 file is created I can follow my handbreaking & tagging process etc

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Ok 'mic j' results are in didnt bother with MP4Tools last night but did do QuickTime 7 drag & drop and it worked to merge 2 .m4v files!
Pros of this was I could cut off credits from the 1st file dropped into QT7, then add second file and then save file to Produce 1 quality edited .mov file! All you do is change to .m4v and it will play in iTunes flawlessly! Bad and strange news is for whatever reason I cannot MetaX or SUBLER tag the file?! For whatever reason the programs won't except the new file
: (

Then with your directions above I tried the MKTOOLNIX with 2 MKV's and if also worked flawlessly !! So thank you mic j - the only thing I cannot do is edit the files in the program easily to say cut out credits etc. tried searching for an easy MKV cutter, trimmer to apply the edit before I loaded the file into MKVTOOLNIX but no luck! However I prefer this program for merging because once the 1 file is created I can follow my handbreaking & tagging process etc
Never use Quicktime, so can't be of any help there. As for trimming your mkv with MKVToolnix, go to the global tab. It will give you several options for "splitting" a file at a certain point. MKVTools also gives you the option to do that. If you can find a more elegant/simpler way of trimming an mkv prior to joining let me know, so I can use it in the future.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks man yeah I read that trimming in Toolnix isn't fun. You can't see what your doing exactly and it's time or framerate based, like editing blind. I may try MKVTools if its free and keeps the MKV container after I trim the file.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.