Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Among Apple's granted patents released today, AppleInsider has noted a pair of inventions that appear to be of some interest. The first patent addresses the idea of offline iTunes Store purchases from mobile devices, allowing users to store "credit" that can unlock content already on their devices but not yet owned by the user.
In some cases, a user may wish to add new media items to the library, for example from an online media store. When the device is not connected to the store, however, the user may not be able to perform a transaction to purchase new media items, nor download or access the media items from the store. To enable offline purchases of media, the electronic device can store locally for future use one or more recommended media items received from the store when a connection with the store is available. Access to the recommended media items can be restricted, so that the user cannot consume the media items without first purchasing them.

To complete a media item purchase without sending transaction information to the media store, the electronic device can store pre-paid credits locally on the device. The pre-paid credits can be purchased in advance, for example when the device is connected to the store. In response to a user request to purchase a particular recommended media item, the electronic device can deduct the cost of the recommended media item from the locally stored credit, and remove the access restrictions of the device. The amount of credit remaining can be communicated to the store or to a host device (e.g., used to manage the user's media library) when communications become available.
The difficult part of this scenario involves getting the content onto the user's device, and Apple's patent addresses several methods, including manual loading of files either from the Internet before going offline or from other storage devices. Alternatively, the user's device could automatically pre-download content based on Genius-like recommendations or other criteria and offer the content for on-device purchase.

itunes_offline_purchase_patent.jpg
While Wi-Fi hotspots have become increasingly common to allow iPod touch or Wi-Fi iPad owners to connect to the Internet with some level of regularity, it appears that Apple is still interested in exploring ways to allow users to unlock new media content even when not connected to the Internet.

The second patent describes a proximity-based method for transferring files between devices, such as a computer and a mobile device. While a number of existing solutions such as Bump and Samsung's S Beam allow for such actions, Apple's patent includes a contextual aspect that allows for very specific transfer scenarios to simplify the user experience.

apple_proximity_file_transfer_patent.jpg
In one simple example outlined by Apple, a user composing an email on his or her Mac wishes to add an image from their phone. Under the proposed method, the user could select the insertion location in the email, use a contextual menu to invoke an insertion option, bring up the desired image on their phone, and then bring the phone in close proximity to the Mac.

Using a combination of proximity and communication technologies such as Bluetooth, near field communication (NFC) technology, Wi-Fi, and or a webcam, the image could then be automatically and wirelessly transferred to the computer and inserted into the email at the proper location.

Article Link: Apple Patent Watch: Offline iTunes Store Purchases, Proximity-Based Media Transfer Between Devices

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm seeing a touch of Lala here. That service had a lower price streaming from web scheme. This version would be a free or low price load for offline listening perhaps with a track limit, days limit, device limit or all three. Say like for free you can download up to 20 tracks to a single device and have them for 14 days. Rather like the Lala one time full play feature once you have offlined a track you can't again off that Apple ID ever or at least for like 90 days or something.

But if you really like the song and want to make it permanent you can buy it. To make it easier you can do the buy offline that way you don't forget before the 14 days is up and the next time you go online the system updates your account.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
First patent: offline gift card
Second patent: Apple, you're a little late...

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
How is any of that patentable? They're just specific use cases based on ideas and technologies that already exist and are already in use.

Last edited:

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
This might be nice for purchasing content too large to immediatly download on cellular networks.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That offline purchase idea could be used all over the iPhone even when connected to the Internet to allow instantaneous downloads. App Updates could be pre downloaded when you're connected to Wifi so that all that happens when you tap update is it swaps the locations of the old and new versions (meaning it could also also allow you to revert to prior versions if new versions have bugs.)

In fact, that's a key idea in an app I'm making right now.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
No, a future iDevice will have tons of storage and will hold the entire iTunes catalogue. Then, wherever you are you can buy a tune, which essentially activates one that is already there. Whenever you do wander over near WiFi the cloud downloads any new tunes, etc. so that your device will always be filled with the latest and greatest.

I patent that, but only if somebody else patents teeny mass storage.

Or, wait, the proximity thing...to transfer purchased iTunes easily from one iDevice to another. Kids will really, really like hand-me-down music from their parents...and can more easily pass around nekkid photos of their classmates.

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
No, a future iDevice will have tons of storage and will hold the entire iTunes catalogue. Then, wherever you are you can buy a tune, which essentially activates one that is already there. Whenever you do wander over near WiFi the cloud downloads any new tunes, etc. so that your device will always be filled with the latest and greatest.

I patent that, but only if somebody else patents teeny mass storage.

Or, wait, the proximity thing...to transfer purchased iTunes easily from one iDevice to another. Kids will really, really like hand-me-down music from their parents...and can more easily pass around nekkid photos of their classmates.

Holographic postage stamp as storage that holds 1^10^10000 PB

I patent that

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Maybe I could draw a new Mac Pro? Would that get it sorted quicker??
I count ONE Mac Pro comment.

Too many for you???:confused:

I believe he's referring to the entire MacRumors forums. People are posting complaining about a lack of a new Mac Pro even in threads that have nothing remotely to do with a Mac Pro. At least the "Safari is snappier" post can sometimes be humorous and can fit into most threads subject. The Mac Pro post are just sad when people post them for the sake of posting them.

As far as the original topic that we should be discussing, I agree that this patent technology would work well for an iWatch.

Last edited:

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Take genius out of the ecosystem please. Match and everything else would be so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.