Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HBO Go for iOS has been updated to version 2.1, most notably adding AirPlay multitasking support to allow video content from the HBO Go app to stream to the television while leaving the iPad or the iPhone free to operate other apps.

hbogo.jpg
The update also offers new interactive features for the channel's popular Game of Thrones series, which just had its season three debut last week. HBO Go offers users behind-the scenes videos, cast and crew commentary, and detailed set photos.
-Includes AirPlay multitasking capability - other apps can be used while video continues to stream via AirPlay.

-Enhancements to the interactive features experience for Game of Thrones

-General performance enhancements
HBO Go is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: HBO Updates iOS App with AirPlay Multitasking and Game of Thrones Interactive Features

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Sounds great. Can't wait to use it... Call me when I can get a subscription without cable.

I read something that said Game of Thrones was the most pirated show of 2012. HBO is losing money by not making HBO Go available to cable nonsubscribers.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I read something that said Game of Thrones was the most pirated show of 2012. HBO is losing money by not making HBO Go available to cable nonsubscribers.

I read that it was 1M people. Even if only half of those decide to pay $10/month, that's $5M/month net...

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
can anyone confirm if the update finally adds full retina support for text/menu icons for the iPad?

the jaggies are starting to get on my nerves...haha

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

On the surface, it might seem like that. But you have to understand the relationship that HBO has with cable and satellite providers. I would suggest reading this article:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/05/hbo-go-without-hbo/

Summary:

TechCrunch said:
HBO currently has about 29 million subscribers, and reportedly receives around $7 or $8 per subscriber per month. So HBO could, theoretically, get more per subscriber than it’s currently making. But that doesn’t include the cost of infrastructure needed to support delivery of all those streams, including all the CDN delivery and other costs that would come with rolling out a broader online-only service.

More importantly, it wouldn’t include the cost of sales, marketing, and support — and this is where HBO would really get screwed. Going direct to online customers by pitching HBO GO over-the-top would mean losing the support of its cable, satellite, and IPTV distributors. And since the Comcasts and the Time Warner Cables of the world are the top marketing channel for premium networks like HBO, it would be nearly impossible for HBO to make up for the loss of the cable provider’s marketing team or promotions.

Not saying it will never happen, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
On the surface, it might seem like that. But you have to understand the relationship that HBO has with cable and satellite providers. I would suggest reading this article:

Summary:

That's fine, but its going to happen. And a lot sooner than they think. You rarely can make money selling only what you want to sell. The best way to make money is to sell people what they want to buy. And there are a lot of people who don't want to buy cable, but do want to buy HBO.

devilbond

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
To all those annoyed they can't get HBO Go without a cable subscription / or not living in the USA, remember it is available in HD on iTunes about one day later. Cost for the entire series (in Australia anyway) is about $33.

It's not perfect because of the delay, and the 'ok' quality of HD on iTunes, but it's darned close.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
To all those annoyed they can't get HBO Go without a cable subscription / or not living in the USA, remember it is available in HD on iTunes about one day later. Cost for the entire series (in Australia anyway) is about $33.

It's not perfect because of the delay, and the 'ok' quality of HD on iTunes, but it's darned close.

I think you mean 1 year later... Currently only season 1+2 are available. At least here in the USA.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Good time to remind people that when you are watching video that fully utilizes AirPlay, like the HBO GO app, that you can use the AppleTV remote to control playback. I discovered this by accident when I forgot I was using AirPlay one time (thought I was watching a native AppleTV app).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think you mean 1 year later... Currently only season 1+2 are available. At least here in the USA.

Nope, he doesn't mean one year; episodes 1 and 2 are available from iTunes AU today (I've already downloaded both).

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown

Summary:

Yeah I know why it's like that. Kinda like why digital versions of games are the same price as physical as to not piss off retail partners. A lost revenue stream is still lost regardless of the reason.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I would just like to say that the old cable distribution model is dying... fast. the exact same thing happened to the music industry. When was the last time any of you went to the store and bought a cd? Or listened to the local radio station? Most people I know, buy their music online and listen to pandora or some other music streaming service. The music industry fought the change too, and lost. If it wasn't for iTunes and the like, selling people music the way the wanted it, the music industry would have been devastated. It just seems that, in any business, you sell people what they want to buy. If you don't, the people will find a way to get it without you, and you loose out. People just don't want cable anymore. $70/month to get 100 channels, 85 of which suck. Of the remaining 15, 6 can be received over the air (and with better quality due to less compression). The shows on the remaining 9 can mostly be found on iTunes, hulu, netflix, or amazon. Whatever is left (HBO, showtime, ect.) will be downloaded illegally by those who know how to do so. But more and more are learning how to. The industry needs to change before my parents learn how to torrent, because if it gets that far, the industry is lost.

Full disclosure: I work in the entertainment industry on a somewhat successful cable TV show. Our show can be streamed via an ipad app, for free. While I was on set I decided to download the app, and see what it was like. Turns out you need to have a cable subscription to use the app and watch the show (with ads). I don't have cable so I was unable to watch a show that I was currently creating... How is that for stupid.

Latt

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
For once some of us in Europe are the lucky ones. We can et HBO Go without a cable subscription for as little as $14/mo. There is a delay of about 24 hours from air time in the US, but that's quite acceptable. So yay for us this time around!

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
The update also offers new interactive features for the channel's popular Game of Thrones series, which just had its season three debut last week. HBO Go offers users behind-the scenes videos, cast and crew commentary, and detailed set photos.

That's not right, interactive viewing was always part of HBO go before this update so you could watch Game Of Thrones that way or Boardwalk Empire before this update. All this really does is allow streaming in the background.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I would just like to say that the old cable distribution model is dying... fast. the exact same thing happened to the music industry. When was the last time any of you went to the store and bought a cd? Or listened to the local radio station? Most people I know, buy their music online and listen to pandora or some other music streaming service. The music industry fought the change too, and lost. If it wasn't for iTunes and the like, selling people music the way the wanted it, the music industry would have been devastated. It just seems that, in any business, you sell people what they want to buy. If you don't, the people will find a way to get it without you, and you loose out. People just don't want cable anymore. $70/month to get 100 channels, 85 of which suck. Of the remaining 15, 6 can be received over the air (and with better quality due to less compression). The shows on the remaining 9 can mostly be found on iTunes, hulu, netflix, or amazon. Whatever is left (HBO, showtime, ect.) will be downloaded illegally by those who know how to do so. But more and more are learning how to. The industry needs to change before my parents learn how to torrent, because if it gets that far, the industry is lost.

Full disclosure: I work in the entertainment industry on a somewhat successful cable TV show. Our show can be streamed via an ipad app, for free. While I was on set I decided to download the app, and see what it was like. Turns out you need to have a cable subscription to use the app and watch the show (with ads). I don't have cable so I was unable to watch a show that I was currently creating... How is that for stupid.

i'm a cord cutter, but the last figures i saw show cord cutting is slowing down. i'm even thinking about going to FIOS once it comes to me in July. I pay $50 a month for internet and FIOS would be in the $80 range for TV and Internet

$50 plus $8 for netflix is OK
but once you start paying for Hulu, buying TV shows of itunes, pay for MLB.TV and NBA streaming, etc it adds up and you might as well just pay for cable.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
i'm a cord cutter, but the last figures i saw show cord cutting is slowing down. i'm even thinking about going to FIOS once it comes to me in July. I pay $50 a month for internet and FIOS would be in the $80 range for TV and Internet

$50 plus $8 for netflix is OK
but once you start paying for Hulu, buying TV shows of itunes, pay for MLB.TV and NBA streaming, etc it adds up and you might as well just pay for cable.

When I first cut the cable, I was buying everything from iTunes. At that time I was able to watch all the shows I regularly watched on cable, and was still paying less. $60/month buys a lot of shows on iTunes. When you start subtracting what can be recorded off the airwaves the cost goes down dramatically. Most of what is on cable channels these days is reality shows, and I just can't watch that crap.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
When I first cut the cable, I was buying everything from iTunes. At that time I was able to watch all the shows I regularly watched on cable, and was still paying less. $60/month buys a lot of shows on iTunes. When you start subtracting what can be recorded off the airwaves the cost goes down dramatically. Most of what is on cable channels these days is reality shows, and I just can't watch that crap.

$60 plus how much for internet?

FIOS can be had for $80 a month for TV and internet

so far the only shows i bought on itunes is a few cartoons. the disney channel app gives you full access to all the episodes if you're a TV subscriber negating any need to purchase the shows from itunes. few other apps are like this as well

i used to pay almost $200 for TV/internet and phone but now there are cheaper packages with no phone option which makes pay TV a decent value again

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
$60 plus how much for internet?

FIOS can be had for $80 a month for TV and internet

so far the only shows i bought on itunes is a few cartoons. the disney channel app gives you full access to all the episodes if you're a TV subscriber negating any need to purchase the shows from itunes. few other apps are like this as well

i used to pay almost $200 for TV/internet and phone but now there are cheaper packages with no phone option which makes pay TV a decent value again

$60 was just for tv. My Internet was separate. I had direct tv and wasn't getting Internet from them. I don't bundle them together for multiple reasons, not the least of which is it gives me the freedom to switch one without the other.
Anyway, it's been at least 4 years and I'm paying a lot less than I used to.

Added- Ps: the best part is NOT having any cable news. That stuff is the worst way to stay informed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.