Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starbucks and Apple have long had a partnership to give away iTunes Store and App Store content to Starbucks customers, with the "Pick of the Week" program using physical cards with redemption codes on the back to allow users to download their free content.

As noted by CNET, Starbucks has now gone mobile with the Pick of the Week program, allowing users to access each week's selection directly from the Starbucks iOS app without needing to type in a lengthy redemption code.
Now, starting tomorrow, Starbucks customers wishing to download the company's curated mobile app and e-book selections can do so with just a click, no card required, from the inbox of the Starbucks mobile application on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, or by accessing the Starbucks Digital Network, the company's free in-store W-Fi network.
starbucks_pick_of_the_week_card_app.jpg
Original Pick of the Week app giveaway card (left), app-based Pick of the Week (right)
In celebration of the new functionality, Starbucks has partnered to give away Rovio's popular Angry Birds Star Wars for this week's Pick of the Week. The app typically costs $0.99 in the App Store.

Article Link: Starbucks' Pick of the Week Goes Mobile Through iOS App With 'Angry Birds Star Wars'

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
damn
and i used to grab a small stack of these to give out to the dunkin donuts people in exchange for pirated movies

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Smart - keep people from snagging dozens of codes and sharing them while also driving more traffic to your app.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Doesn't help me. :p. One Starbucks doesn't have the wi-fi setup since they're in a Target, and doesn't participate in the program, and the other is just a drive thru Starbucks and doesn't do it either.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
no i can just get coffee elsewhere and STILL get the goods.

Sometimes I would miss a week and lose out.

Not so cool to those just wanting to pass along cards (like I used to ask for and then at times give out) BUT nonetheless a nice step.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I checked the starbucks app this morning, still no email to download the app. Unlike the music downloads, do I actually have to be on their wifi network?

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
I checked the starbucks app this morning, still no email to download the app. Unlike the music downloads, do I actually have to be on their wifi network?

If you read the quote from the CNET article

Now, starting tomorrow, Starbucks customers wishing to download the company's curated mobile app and e-book selections can do so with just a click, no card required, from the inbox of the Starbucks mobile application on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, or by accessing the Starbucks Digital Network, the company's free in-store W-Fi network.

Looks like you have to be on their network.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
since you get it from within the starbucks app how is this different than what AppGratis does?

Steve Jobs pranked the former and so Apple feels guilty and lets Starbucks ignore the rules?

Or it's just totally arbitrary like everything else in the world, life isn't fair, and it's all about who you know.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Steve Jobs pranked the former and so Apple feels guilty and lets Starbucks ignore the rules?

Or it's just totally arbitrary like everything else in the world, life isn't fair, and it's all about who you know.

I had the same but-AppGratis-does-the-same question, but the way pick of the week is displayed in Starbucks' app cannot be confused with App Store, so perhaps they can get away with it on a technicality.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
If you read the quote from the CNET article

Looks like you have to be on their network.

You can download it though the app without needing to be on their WiFi. I just got my push notification (varies week-to-week on when I get it) saying it was available to download.

Go to Starbucks.app > Home > Settings > Starbucks Notifications > Pick of the Week ... and toggle that to "On." Then every Tuesday you'll get a push notification when you can download the 'Pick of the Week', which will be found in the Home > "Messages" section.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
you can just stand outside of a starbucks to get it since wifi signals go outside of windows

here in NYC there are so many starbucks, should not be a big deal to find one

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
looks like it is via APP or on their wifi network, perhaps you can get on their site in network and get it at teh store if you are on a computer with no app access?

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Makes sense. Drive people to the stores. There will end up being hords of people and cars pulling up to SB stores just to download apps, causing traffic jams and riots... a few going in to get coffee. jk :D

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
[checks Starbucks app] Nope, not seeing any free apps there.

I would like you guys to re-read the article. Especially the line that says..."starting tomorrow"... For the others, please re-read where it says being on their network to download the app is 1 of the 2 choices as noted by the word "or". :rolleyes:

W1LLk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
San Antonio
For everyone checking and saying they don't see the app...

Starbucks "pick of the weeks" are released on Fridays and pushed via notifications to apps as late as the following Tuesday. You do not have to be in their stores or on their wifi. The last release was April 2nd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.