Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_lte-250x215.jpg
Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White is out with another research note today sharing some highlights from day seven of his trip to China and Taiwan to talk with technology companies and other sources. Based on discussions with officials at an unnamed "tech-supply chain company", White now believes that Apple's iPhone 5S due for release later this year will arrive in two or possibly even three screen sizes.
We also walked away with the view that Apple will release the iPhone 5S in at least two screen sizes this summer and possibly three. We continue to target July as the launch date. Essentially, we believe Apple is coming around to the fact that one size per iPhone release does not work for everyone and offering consumers an option has the potential to expand the Company's market share.
White also believes that Apple will be releasing a lower-cost iPhone as part of the summer launch, but now sees a price tag in the range of $300-$350 rather than the $250-$300 price he had previously thought possible.

White's prediction of two or even three different screen sizes for the iPhone 5S, in addition to a lower-cost iPhone model, seems to be inconsistent with Apple's typically streamlined product lineups, especially when various carrier and capacity configurations need to be accounted for.

His prediction also conflicts with claims made by a number of other sources, including reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who maintains that the iPhone 5S will indeed primarily be a spec bump of the iPhone 5 with the same 4-inch display, an improved camera system, and perhaps a fingerprint sensor as a differentiating factor.

As a result, we view White's prediction with considerable skepticism unless independent corroborating claims surface leading into the iPhone 5S launch.

Article Link: iPhone 5S to Launch in 2-3 Different Screen Sizes?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't believe it, but I'd love a new iPhone with the same display size as my 4S. Not keen on that tall screen.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Seeing how apple caved on the iPad - the now iPad mini - you'd have to be a very cynical person to believe that apple won't release a larger screened iPhone.

Get out of here with "the screen size is perfect bs"

pezj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Call me close minded but I do not see Apple doing this! Maybe it's because I love the size of my current phone but I do not want more choices.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
If Apple ever release larger screen size, I bet it will be 4.8" screen, still 326 ppi, 1363x768.

Current 4.0" and 3.5" screen apps would be automatically zoom to 1.2x (120%) still crisp at 272ppi, that’s higher than retina 9.7" iPad (264 ppi). Of course, devs can take advantage of the resolution increase if they optimized their apps. Also, homescreen icons would still be 4×5 not 5×5, it will just be spacier like what they did on the iPad.

iPaf

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
Québec
I say: "Why not?"

Apple could introduce a lineup of iPhones just as they do with Macs. iPhone mini and 2 iPhones with Pro specs at 4" and 4.5" displays (just like the Air and the Pros)

Justin941

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Steve Jobs already rolled in his grave when the ipad mini came out, how many more times is he gonna have to roll in his grave?

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Two sizes may make sense, the "old" iPhone-iPhone4S size, and the 4" for the current, or coming, generations. Three seem unlikely to me, but I'm obviously not an "analyst" ;)

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
They need to do this.
People's hands are all sizes. It's kinda weird how they expect one size of phone to be universally preferable to everyone on the planet.

That was narrow thinking and Samsung capitalized on it to gain market share by providing phones with larger screens. The bigger form factor also means more battery life potentially as long as the ratio of screen size/power consumption is not exponential.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Steve Jobs already rolled in his grave when the ipad mini came out, how many more times is he gonna have to roll in his grave?
How many times are people not going to realize that Jobs was involved in the development of numerous products after his passing and even continuing into the next year or two? :confused:

Companies have roadmaps for products years and years in advance... you don't think they just design 'em in a month all willy and nilly and throw them into the production line, do ya'?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I have concrete proof that they will be coming out with anywhere from 1 to 1 MILLION different sizes.

Obviously, this brings Dr. Evil to mind. Considering that everyone will own a desktop manufacturing system in 20 years, somone with more energy than me could come up with a time travel scenario where the 1 MILLION joke actually makes sense in this context.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
You do realize Jobs helped lay out an outline for product releases for the next couple of years? Despite what he said in the past, chances are he was behind the iPad mini.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Seeing how apple caved on the iPad - the now iPad mini - you'd have to be a very cynical person to believe that apple won't release a larger screened iPhone

Not this time around. There will be a 5S that will look identical to the 5 with minor spec bumps, and possibly a new feature. That's it for next release. If u believe anything else, you will be highly dissappointed.

Maybe for the 6 we'll get a screen increase. And thats a BIG maybe. But no way this fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.