Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keson

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Worked for me!

type these commands into the terminal window one by one and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utulity

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

Ladies and gentleman, after weeks of trying to solve my slow shut down times, this finally solved my problem. In my case the console showed timeouts 20 seconds for com.apple.mDNSResponder and com.apple.securityd.
Above trick is back to 2 seconds - MBA 2011, 10.8.3. :)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I wonder if someone might offer some assistance. Like others I tried the sudo commands to fix the slow shutdown, but it hasn't solved the issue. I checked my console log and it appears that I have an issue with:

19699640 com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.coremedia.videodecoder 342 Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing

I tried running the following in terminal:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coremedia.videodecoder ExitTimeOut -int 1

But it doesn't seem to have any effect. Anyone have further ideas to get it under control?

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
type these commands into the terminal window one by one and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utulity

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

Ok for me so far - day 5 and ongoing...

andrezuppe

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Genoa, Italy
I tried running the following in terminal:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coremedia.videodecoder ExitTimeOut -int 1

But it doesn't seem to have any effect. Anyone have further ideas to get it under control?

Like you I've tried to force 1 sec timout on that .plst too, but without any effect.
It seems (to me) that .plist is involved only when you play a video in quicktime, or within some video application that uses that .plist. I have tried to reboot my machine without opening any video and it doesen't show, but when I play videos it appears, and exit itself with its ********* long timeout!

However... my mac is still fast in shutdown after having applied those "magical command lines" :)

Bye!
Andrea

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
So far so good for me as well. It's been a few days and several shut downs/restarts and it's still at about 3 seconds shut down on my rMBP.

Also worked on my MBA. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.