Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Just curious, on my iBook, the left side gets hot and everything but the HD and the battery are almost ice cold on the other side. What's on the left causing so much heat?
:confused:

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
So is it normal?
Yeah, I'm pretty much always charged. I leave it plugged in. I buy laptops but don't use them like a laptop A LOT, I use them as a desktop but I like being able to bring it around if I want to. So it's plugged in 90% of the time. I like being able to lay in my bed on my laptop though. :D

Is it bad to always leave it plugged in?

I put a fan on the hot areas every once and a while to cool it down. :)

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
iMatt mini said:
Just curious, on my iBook, the left side gets hot and everything but the HD and the battery are almost ice cold on the other side. What's on the left causing so much heat?
:confused:
The HD is on the right? I always thought it was to the left of the trackpad..

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iMatt mini said:
I put the CD's in on the right. That's usually where the HD is. :)

Erm... Do you mean the optical drive? That's where I put my CDs. I'm pretty certain you'll find the hard drive on the front left of the 12 inch iBook and I assume it's the same for the 14 inch one too. It's a pretty big source of heat but it's good for typing in cold weather. :)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
iMatt mini if the heat is of concern, go into system preferences > energy saver > options and set the processor speed to automatic. This will reduce the speed of the processor and thus decrease the heat considerably.

I would not be to concerned about heat as the system is built not to allow the temperature to go over a certain limit. Once it hits this stage the fans will turn on :)

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
mad jew said:
Erm... Do you mean the optical drive? That's where I put my CDs. I'm pretty certain you'll find the hard drive on the front left of the 12 inch iBook and I assume it's the same for the 14 inch one too. It's a pretty big source of heat but it's good for typing in cold weather. :)
I don't know.
Me + Hardware don't mix. I don't really get it. Even the simple stuff. I just always assumed that HD was where your CD's and DVD's went. :eek:

Lies. :mad:

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
A quick search returned this:

BTiBG4_2.jpg

I think the processor is under the fan and thus mad jew is correct the hardrive is on the bottom left. So its the hardrive that always heats the iBook, i thought it was the processor :eek:

Edit: So why whenever i set the iBook to atuomatic in energy saver, reduce the heat in the hardeive area :confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iMatt mini said:
So all my computer teachers have mislead me. When they say "Pop the CD into the hard drive"

Damn Fools. :(

Yup, unless they were meaning for you to pop it into the optical drive and then copy everything across to your hard drive digitally... :p

This is a G3 iBook but nothing's really changed.

I have no idea why reducing the processor performance will cool things down though. :confused:

Maybe the front is a vent and the heat from the processor comes forward (and across) to be dissipated above the hard drive. Although, this doesn't seem likely IMO unless Apple were trying to avoid heat from going through/near the AirPort card for some reason.

Attachments

• 45Y.jpg
    45Y.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 128

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
mad jew said:
I have no idea why reducing the processor performance will cool things down though. :confused:

I do folding@home, which uses up idle processors, whenever i reduce the performance of the processor the iBook cools down quite well.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
DeSnousa said:
I do folding@home, which uses up idle processors, whenever i reduce the performance of the processor the iBook cools down quite well.

Yeah, sorry, I meant "how does it reduce heat in the bottom left corner". I should have been more specific. :eek:

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
mad jew said:
Yeah, sorry, I meant "how does it reduce heat in the bottom left corner". I should have been more specific. :eek:

Ohh, I feel stupid now :eek:, just realised how it reduces heat in the bottom left corner. Seeing that less idle tasks are being used, it thus in turns doesn't need to write to the hard-rive as much.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
This is just an educated guess but.. reduced proccesor speed reduces the number of tasks being processed which, theoretically, can reduce the overall number of reads and writes to a hard drive.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
DeSnousa said:
Seeing that less idle tasks are being used, it thus in turns doesn't need to write to the hard-rive as much.

terriyaki said:
This is just an educated guess but.. reduced proccesor speed reduces the number of tasks being processed which, theoretically, can reduce the overall number of reads and writes to a hard drive.

Yeah, that's a pretty good reason. Probably should have thought of that one. :eek:

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I'm slightly dissappointed with my new iBook in terms of heat! It gets very hot on the left side! With battery and/or power adapter in!

binhex12

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2005
SpaceMagic said:
I'm slightly dissappointed with my new iBook in terms of heat! It gets very hot on the left side! With battery and/or power adapter in!

Me too. It's quite uncomfortable to use for any long period of time. I'm quite worried about it as I can't imagine it being much good for one's hand.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
SpaceMagic said:
Haha, and here I was thinking how cool it runs! Really, compared to my 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook... my iBook runs amazingly cool. :rolleyes:

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
SpaceMagic said:
I had some concerns when I got my iBook and came here to MacRumors for some advice, they advice I got which turned out to be pretty useful if you think your is running especially hot. It was to install ThermographX which monitors the 4 temp gagues in your iBook over time and gives you some nice stats that you can then compare with all iBook results to see if you are running oddly hot...... then if you are you contact Apple!

My Stats:

Sensor, Current, Min, Max
Memory, 47c, 25c, 56c
CPU, 46c, 24c, 70c
GPU, 49c, 25c, 61c
Battery, 32c, 23c, 37c

Let's just say the 70c was worrying! I started cooling with a fan and then turning the fan off and seeing if it recovered..... it didn't so I rebooted then all was fine...... makes a nice picture though:

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 106

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Mine gets really really hot when it is plugged in (on max performance). As hot as a P4 (non-M) laptop, as a matter of fact. When unplugged, it is on optimum battery life performance and is a LOT cooler.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
mine=hot at all times...no matter, day, night, AC plugged in (on max performance, or whatsoever....

it doesn't really bother me b'cos if it overheats or whatsoever and finally causing the iBook to crash or break down or whatever u call that...AppleCare will take care of it... :D

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
binhex12 said:
Me too. It's quite uncomfortable to use for any long period of time. I'm quite worried about it as I can't imagine it being much good for one's hand.

I would be more concerned with an area other than my hand if you're using it on your lap. I tried it for the first time yesterday and boy it wasn't too much fun. I have an iBOok so I can't imagine how hot it gets with a PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.