Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Ok so I bought a 2011 iMac 27 inch with 3.4 i7, 1 terra hdd, 1gb video and 3 year apple care. Looking to sell it and buy a refurb 2012 what do you think a fair price would be?

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Ok so I bought a 2011 iMac 27 inch with 3.4 i7, 1 terra hdd, 1gb video and 3 year apple care. Looking to sell it and buy a refurb 2012 what do you think a fair price would be?

You should start checking ebay, Mac2sell and other sites and see what they are going for. With the 2012's hitting hte refurb store, this unit is now worth less than what you paid. I think you could probably ask $1700.

That said, what is the main reason for you to upgrade? The new machines will be only marginally faster, and I'm sure you'll lose more money (percentage wise) than you will gain in horsepower under the 2012.

I will admit the less reflective screen really helps a lot. Outside of that, I'd suggest holding out unless there is something you specifically need from the new machine.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Well for one the fusion drive is ideal for my use. Second is the USB 3.0 much cheaper than thunderbolt. The screen glare would be nice to be rid of to. I love my iMac but it is limited and don't want to tear apart to add ssd.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Well for one the fusion drive is ideal for my use. Second is the USB 3.0 much cheaper than thunderbolt. The screen glare would be nice to be rid of to. I love my iMac but it is limited and don't want to tear apart to add ssd.

All fair needs. And I'm not one to talk someone out of getting the latest and greatest tech! But, you can run an SSD from Thunderbolt and make your own Fusion drive through Terminal. (I was running my 2012 iMac with an external Thunderbolt SSD, as I did under the 2011 model).

The one thing I will say is that I do not find the latest iMacs or rMPB to be as bright as prior gen screens were. Granted with less glare on the iMac you don't need as much brightness to compensate, but its still somewhat annoying (especially on the rMBP as I have it on full brightness most of the time).

You still have a badass machine that is very capable. If you can get a great deal from selling it, go to the 2012. Otherwise, if you're just losing money I'd maybe try and hold out for the next revision.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States

I agree - I am not sure I would sell the 2011 as it was a nice machine. Will you be doing many large file transfers (500GB+) through USB 3.0? If not, you probably would not benefit from it very much.

Plus you have an optical drive, and the TB module can add USB 3.0 to your machine when it is released.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Everything I have seen for thunderbolt is extremely overpriced. Heck cable alone runs $50. Can buy a 1 tb 3.0 USB external for under $150. Even a thunderbolt adapter is $100. I really don't see a market where thunderbolt will ever sell.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Everything I have seen for thunderbolt is extremely overpriced. Heck cable alone runs $50. Can buy a 1 tb 3.0 USB external for under $150. Even a thunderbolt adapter is $100. I really don't see a market where thunderbolt will ever sell.

I agree its overpriced, but it really is an amazing I/O port. I've been able to snag Thunderbolt externals refurbished for pretty fair prices (6TB Lacie external for $370 and a Lacie LBD Thunderbolt 1TB for $200). The cables have come down to $30-$40 depending on the length (though some drives like the Lacie Rugged SSD comes with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt cables). So, while definitely expensive I do find the throughput to be quite amazing and the daisy chain option makes it easy to add on more drives or pop a video cable on the end and connect to the TV.

Sounds like you're pretty interested in the 2012's and if you can afford the switch, go for it. I really do love the new iMac screens and they are even more quiet than the 2011's, but beyond the switch to USB 3.0 and the less reflective screen, you're giving up the optical drive, a brighter screen overall (not to mention a much easier iMac to take apart should you ever want to test those waters.)

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say....

$1350-1500. Good care of the machine, AppleCare present and no cosmetic or functional issues can help in the price.

If selling through an online site, factor in shipping costs/fees.

:):apple:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Maybe around $1500 to $1600 because you still have AppleCare which helps up the value. Warranty makes a big difference to some buyers. I am more inclined to buy a machine with some warranty. But like what was suggested, weigh out the pros and cons first before deciding to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.